Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's one or two in there (Edwards, Walker-Peters, Harrison, Oduwa) who are hopefully gonna be part of our club for a LONG time to come...

Then again, I thought that about Grant Ward and Dominic Ball... so the fuck do I know?

There's one or two in there (Edwards, Walker-Peters, Harrison, Oduwa) who are hopefully gonna be part of our club for a LONG time to come...

Then again, I thought that about Grant Ward and Dominic Ball... so the fuck do I know?

I wouldn't count on Oduwa, but the other 3 are going to be involved this season in my opinion.

I wouldn't count on Oduwa, but the other 3 are going to be involved this season in my opinion.

...are you joking??

Anyone who looks that much like Chris Rock gotsta have a future in somethin'... even if it's Stand-Up Comedy!

img_3031.jpg
2285.jpg

...he fucking does though, doesn't he?? Tell me it ain't true!!

I've been doing some reading involving over training hindering human growth potential and the entire time I couldn't help but think about Marcus Edwards. Last I could find Edwards is ~170cm. Granted, I don't know the height of his father (or uncles or brothers if he has any), but no matter how you cut it he is below the average height for his age.

main-qimg-8f3c07faaac288e198f53c12565e77df-c

I'm sure that Edwards' growth has been closely monitored by the club over the years, but at 17 he is certainly still going through puberty and could be subject to adolescent growth spurts within the next few years. It's very well established that youth athletes have to be extremely careful about the activities they perform while in these periods. With periods of growth comes a temporary decline in coordination and balance and given that this period can sometimes last for months, it would be very unfortunate if Edwards was judged too harshly while training with the 1st team.

This is certainly not a subject that anyone other than the training staff at the club would be able to answer, but I am very curious if these more skilled junior players that are training with the first team are still being as closely monitored now that they're not fully in the youth setup.

I've been doing some reading involving over training hindering human growth potential and the entire time I couldn't help but think about Marcus Edwards. Last I could find Edwards is ~170cm. Granted, I don't know the height of his father (or uncles or brothers if he has any), but no matter how you cut it he is below the average height for his age.

I'm sure that Edwards' growth has been closely monitored by the club over the years, but at 17 he is certainly still going through puberty and could be subject to adolescent growth spurts within the next few years. It's very well established that youth athletes have to be extremely careful about the activities they perform while in these periods. With periods of growth comes a temporary decline in coordination and balance and given that this period can sometimes last for months, it would be very unfortunate if Edwards was judged too harshly while training with the 1st team.

This is certainly not a subject that anyone other than the training staff at the club would be able to answer, but I am very curious if these more skilled junior players that are training with the first team are still being as closely monitored now that they're not fully in the youth setup.

rQNkqiT.gif

One word...Messi.

We are going to be very careful about developing Edwards, I'm sure of that. It won't matter in which squad he will be training, there are very detailed player profiles for everybody in the club.

The decline in coordination and balance is not even the major problem in these cases. If youth players start to play regularily for their first team (in the top leagues) and haven't yet reached their 'maximum height' (a bit complicated to explain for me in English), their bones and cartilage parts don't evolve how they should do. The body often can't adapt quickly enough to the new conditions (very intensive training, especially under Pochettino) and becomes very prone to injuries (fatal ones, most frequently around the knees). The most 'famous' example of this is Sebastian Deisler - he became a starter at Monchengladbach with 18, made the breakthrough at Hertha a year later and earned himself a move to Bayern with 22. A seriously talented player, there should be videos about him (although in German). He got 36 caps for Germany, but had retired at the age of just 27. Regular knee injuries.

I don't expect to see Edwards anytime soon in the first team, he still needs some time, minimum a year before he could maybe get his league debut. I think Poch has already said that we will have to be patient with him. Rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom