Leicester (H) 29-Oct

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tying to work out if it's the tactics or players. We are very static which is great for our defensive shape and press but when a team sits it makes us easy to play against. Liverpool have players who rotate which makes them more vulnerable due to their players being out of position but far more dangerous in attack.

That being said the likes of Lamela, Eriksen etc are just not with it this season. I hope the problem is the tactics then Poch can fix it , if it's the players we may struggle for top 4 this year.

Simple maths show 2 wins and 2 loses are better than 4 draws, if we have ambition we have to start showing more ambition on the pitch and for fuck sake pass the ball to Janssen when he is making a run off the defenders shoulder not delay and pass back to Rose.

Someone on twitter is actually blaming Lamela for not winning today and then brought up how it was Lamela's fault we didn't win the league last season.

tumblr_n9suixnnLU1sh74dio1_400.gif

One moment that stood out for me today was towards the middle of the second half, when Eriksen received the ball inside the box. With Janssen very closely marked by Simpson, and with a bit of space around him, it really amazed me that he didn't try and create a chance for himself to win the game. I think Eriksen should be looking to create a shot for himself with a bit of fancy footwork! As one of our best offensive players, I'd like him to feel more confident about taking chances in those kinds of situations.

This.

I said earlier about us being guilty of overplaying the ball and this is a prime example. An attack minded player receiving the ball inside the opponents box like that should be looking to get a shot away, not dinking one over the top and hoping Janssen gets to the six yard line before both defender and keeper.

Stop being so fucking pious. Nobody here wants us to drop points, so wind that shite in.

Expressions of anger and frustration are more than allowed when we've not played well for an extended period. Just because you only see the good in this situation, doesn't make you Mr Spurs, the greatest supporter ever.

One might almost think you are the one delighted at yet more dropped points as it gives you the opportunity to be superior on here. Cut it out.
Yea, you've got me bang on. Wasn't anywhere to be seen during our success last year saying the same shit. I was waiting for us to drop points to be superior.

Dick. You've been missing mind.

You're the cunts I see at the Lane. Nowt but moaning.

Scott and Totti are loving it. Mocking an unbeaten start.

Decent performance. Leicester definitely no walk in the park. Spurs a bit unlucky getting woodwork not once but twice. Great header by JV too. VJ still not working really which is definitely affecting the attack. Bring on Woolwich

Yea, you've got me bang on. Wasn't anywhere to be seen during our success last year saying the same shit. I was waiting for us to drop points to be superior.

Scott and Totti are loving it. Mocking an unbeaten start.

Loving what exactly?

You didn't answer my earlier question so don't try and hide from this one either.

Scott and Totti are loving it.
Not sure much of that made sense.

I'm certainly going to moan when we have been so poor over the past few games. If you want to sit and pretend everything is fine and we are playing well, good for you. I just don't agree that anyone on here wants us to fuck up so they can look good on a fucking forum by saying "I told you so".

Not a huge fan of Pochettino's post game remarks.

Good performance etc.

When it happens this many times its more than being unfortunate

His comments were ridiculous in my eyes. Utterly complacent.

"It was a good performance...unfortunate...disappointed, but we dominated and create chances...unlucky...happy with the performance, we are still strong and unbeaten...we're a strong team"

The comments of someone too comfortable, in my eyes.

Draw, loss, draw, draw, draw and you come out and say you're happy? We haven't won a game in a month. Not good enough.

"It was a good performance...unfortunate...disappointed, but we dominated and create chances...unlucky...happy with the performance, we are still strong and unbeaten...we're a strong team"

Draw, loss, draw, draw, draw and you come out and say you're happy? We haven't won a game in a month. Not good enough.

He also said we are in a bad period and need to be strong.

Leicester are a difficult opponent for us, we don't like playing those park the bus sides and unlike most of those teams they also have some serious firepower upfront with Vardy and Mahrez. Our defence struggled more than I've seen them do in a long while. Leicester were last season's champions and apparently this game is now their cup-final, so on a stand-alone basis a draw isn't the end of the world, but if you add the other recent results up as well it just hasn't been good enough as a whole and in the end those draws don't get you enough points. With a difficult fixture list coming up things aren't looking good. Need a shock result to compensate for this poor run imo, a win at the Emirates or Stamford Bridge will do nicely...

Vertonghen was class again, Rose and Walker need to cross more, and do it better than they have done previously. Eriksen absolutely useless, he has always been a poor corner-kick taker, but at least his freekicks used to be good, but that's gone now as well... Alli had his moments, but it wasn't enough. Son looked very poor, playing on the right didn't seem to suit him, was better in the last 20 minutes. N'Koudou did well actually, also unlike the Liverpool match, he now went on the outside and crossed. Janssen... not quite there yet, but today was better from him. Encouraging to see that he can at least take part in the physical battles, that is what sets him apart from the Soldado comparisons.

To be fair, I think you'll find it hard for anyone to disagree that Liverpool and City are miles better than us when it comes to attacking though. Both have cutting edge, better movement and PACE. Those three things will create chances and cause problems. They also like to shoot.

Compare that to us. We are usually very static when attacking, ultimately RELYING on passing to Walker and Rose on the wings (who both were great today) and to cross the ball in. We RARELY find that intricate pass that see's a player get the opportunity to shoot one on one. That will only get you so far.

I agree. Poch's tactical approach is very conservative. We almost always move the ball up the pitch through our back-four. It's safe and results in fewer goals against us (via counter attacks), but inhibits us from moving the ball more rapidly up the pitch, with less risky/dangerous chances created. As result the opponent almost always has time to setup shop in the back and pack bodies in the middle. When the shop is setup, our outside AM's are marked by opp FB, our striker marked by CBs and our central AM marked by the CDM, the only free players to receive the ball and make plays are our FB's Walker and Rose, or our CDMs Wanyama and Dembele, none of whom have a reputation for especially clever playmaking in the final third.

I think Liverpool are more willing to gamble when they win possession in these kinds of situations, and as result score more, and are scored against more, while we play a safer approach, but get lower percentage chances. I'm all for a solid defense (and appreciate it!), but think the team could definitely improve in this area. One idea is to play a more attacking CM in a CDM role so that they can direct play a bit better when we are faced with these situations- something like Eriksen or Alli at CDM next to Wanyama/Dembele comes to mind. Another idea is that we can play riskier when we win possession, and perhaps play a more stretched end to end kind of football, yielding more chances and more goals, but perhaps also yielding more goals on the counter-attack.

I like clean sheets, but, it's true, two draws gets you 2 points while a loss and a win gets you 3. We could probably afford to gamble a bit more in these situations.

To be fair liverspuds don't count... plus we are Spurs, why shouldn't he be complacent, I'm pretty sure our aim this year is top 4... I think we all got carried away when we beat man shitty that we were gonna win the league!
Besides all will soon forget about this when we turn over Woolich....
although the safe money is on a draw!!!:allitongue:

Are we that unlucky or do we lack that final bit of quality to finish?

We were better than Leicester in the first half. Leicester were better than us in the second half. Pretty much the story of our season so far.

We certainly lack that final bit of quality as we have done all season.

We aren't creating enough high-percentage chances to ensure that un-luck keeps us from scoring enough to win ; )

The question is if we are still right up there in the mix at Christmas does levy decide to spend big (issco) to give us the edge and turn us into real title contenders, or does he keep things as it is and be happy with a top 4 finish?

Back
Top Bottom