Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Carrick was a far better player than Huddleston, we had built our side around him, and it took a long time to recover after his departure to Man United. If Winks is as good as Carrick I'd be very happy.

No question although Modric was even better, probably the best CM now in world football. I doubt we can put those expectations on him.

That being said in pre season against Juv and Milan he was probably our best player, he certainly has a big future and hopefully in the longer term give us another realistic option for competition with Dembele.

I don't see the point in comparing players (they all have their own strengths and weaknesses), it just puts unnecessary pressure on them, especially young players, who are still learning their craft. I think Tiddly is doing just fine, and he deserves the playing time he is currently getting. But on the other hand, we don't want to rush him either and get carried away.

Winks passing is very good, was on half hour in place of Dele and had 46 touches made 43 passes with a success rate of 97.7%
Compared to the Dele who had an hour and had 44 touches made 25 passes with a success rate of just 80%. Dele creates more and has more chances then he is playing further forwards.
I think he's ideal to play alongside a DM, even Dembele if Dembele stays deep in a 4321. Been saying for a while we lack a player that passes quickly, accurately, has movement and can get forward and takes a shot to play alongside a DM. He's probably he best we have got imo.
Not easy to knock off the ball and more importantly looks forward firstHowever when we play 3 at the back is there a place for him.
We had to take of Dele and move Eriksen further forward.

46 touches made 43 passes

For me this is the key.

1 touch. 1 pass.

So many players love to use the ball as a chance to inflate their ego (I'm looking at you Dele/Son), taking a huge amount of unnecessary touches which slows the attack down to nothing, so whatever they pull off will probably be pointless.

Winks gets it. Gets rid of it. So simple and effective.

I don't see the Huddlestone or Carrick comparisons. If anyone should be compared to them it's Dier for me. Someone who will sit in front of the defence, spread the play with accurate long balls but also have the ability to play passes forward incisively.

If we are going to compare players we have to the most successful team of recent years for example. Dier is the busquets, not Winks. But Winks is our Xavi.

Winks passing is very good, was on half hour in place of Dele and had 46 touches made 43 passes with a success rate of 97.7%
Compared to the Dele who had an hour and had 44 touches made 25 passes with a success rate of just 80%. Dele creates more and has more chances then he is playing further forwards.
I think he's ideal to play alongside a DM, even Dembele if Dembele stays deep in a 4321. Been saying for a while we lack a player that passes quickly, accurately, has movement and can get forward and takes a shot to play alongside a DM. He's probably he best we have got imo.
Not easy to knock off the ball and more importantly looks forward firstHowever when we play 3 at the back is there a place for him.
We had to take of Dele and move Eriksen further forward.

-----------------Lloris---------------------
-------Dier------Toby-------Verts-------
----Walker--Dembele/Victor--Winks--Rose--
------------------Eriksen/Lamela---------
--------Kane/Janssen----Son/Alli-------

3412 is different but sometimes we should make sure the balance is better than simply throwing on our most talented players. England over the last 20-30 years have made the mistake of throwing on players doing the same job because they are good like Gerrard and Lampard for example.

If we play 3412 then we need 3 ball playing centre backs (easy), two attacking wing backs (done) a dominate physical player like Dembele or Wanyama then a deep lying playmaker like, well Winks is the only one. Further forward a number 10 creator so either Lamela or Eriksen then a combination front two such a striker like Kane and mobile forward like Son or potentially Alli.

It means more room for our defenders and strikers in the system and less room for our AM's like Eriksen, Lamela, Alli etc compared to 4231. But as our AM's have been our under performing aspect of the team maybe that is a good thing, so they all have to fight to get a spot.

I think it takes a certain amount of experience or knowledge to appreciate players like Winks. I remember when I first started to support Tottenham and people were crazy about Modric. I simply didn't get what all the fuss was about, not because he was shit, but because I didn't know the game enough to see his value.

Thankfully 6-7 years teaches a lot and Winks is one of the most talented youngsters I can think of. He'll be the next England international from our club without a doubt. 20 and that good? He has all the basics of his role down already, there's no huge weakness to what he does. Exciting to see what he improves on next.

Really, he won't. He will end up at Hull, West Brom, Palace etc. Some people on here have used his name in the same sentence as Modric, which is completely laughable. I remember people on forums talking about Bentaleb as if he was going to set the world on fire, and how bloody awful is he. I have been watching Spurs for 47 years and believe me I can spot a player. Off the top of my head the only time I can remember getting it wrong was Danny Rose, who has turned out to be brilliant, otherwise I am always spot on. Winks isn't a bad player, but he will never be good enough for a team like Spurs.

For me this is the key.

1 touch. 1 pass.

So many players love to use the ball as a chance to inflate their ego (I'm looking at you Dele/Son), taking a huge amount of unnecessary touches which slows the attack down to nothing, so whatever they pull off will probably be pointless.

Winks gets it. Gets rid of it. So simple and effective.

Passing it quickly can be very advantageous, but if everyone's just always passing it very little is happening. You need the players who can and will take on a man or run with the ball a bit to create chances, to go past a man and put the defence out of balance. That's why Dembele is so brilliant, and that's why the Modrices of this world aren't the ones that racks up assists and goals.

You need a bit of both.

Really, he won't. He will end up at Hull, West Brom, Palace etc. Some people on here have used his name in the same sentence as Modric, which is completely laughable. I remember people on forums talking about Bentaleb as if he was going to set the world on fire, and how bloody awful is he. I have been watching Spurs for 47 years and believe me I can spot a player. Off the top of my head the only time I can remember getting it wrong was Danny Rose, who has turned out to be brilliant, otherwise I am always spot on. Winks isn't a bad player, but he will never be good enough for a team like Spurs.
"Never be good enough for a team like Spurs". What actually does that mean? It makes no sense seeing that he errr...Is playing for Spurs. Do mean a Title winning Spurs, or a Mid-table Spurs, a 4th placed Spurs or a 5th placed Spurs? a CL Spurs or a EL Spurs?

Some points
- as others have said, if we compare all our new young players with Modric or Bale, then we are going to be disappointed
- don't discount surprise. I was one of the many fans who thought we should offload Bale in the early days, if you'd have told me he would become one of the best players in the world I would have called for you to be sectioned. Who would have predicted Kane's success when he was out on loan?
- the only really good player, who immediately hit you as complete quality, was Gazza. Bill Nich's scouting report recognised this when he was playing for Newcastle vs West Ham. But for all his brilliance, Gazza never came close to realising his abilities, winning only the FA Cup and knackering himself in the process. So we can only really judge how good a player was towards the end of his career, not after his first season in the first squad

All we're saying is that his style of play reminds us of Modric - no ones saying he'll ever be as good but as the general consensus is that most people on this board only really watch Spurs, we're comparing him to an EX-SPURS player.

We haven't had ANYONE since Modric who likes to play football with a vision in his mind from the centre of the park, someone who is not only deceptively strong on the ball but likes to pass forward as quickly as possible as well as getting our wingers/wing backs into play.

It's hard not to get excited over such a talent.

-----------------Lloris---------------------
-------Dier------Toby-------Verts-------
----Walker--Dembele/Victor--Winks--Rose--
------------------Eriksen/Lamela---------
--------Kane/Janssen----Son/Alli-------

3412 is different but sometimes we should make sure the balance is better than simply throwing on our most talented players. England over the last 20-30 years have made the mistake of throwing on players doing the same job because they are good like Gerrard and Lampard for example.

If we play 3412 then we need 3 ball playing centre backs (easy), two attacking wing backs (done) a dominate physical player like Dembele or Wanyama then a deep lying playmaker like, well Winks is the only one. Further forward a number 10 creator so either Lamela or Eriksen then a combination front two such a striker like Kane and mobile forward like Son or potentially Alli.

It means more room for our defenders and strikers in the system and less room for our AM's like Eriksen, Lamela, Alli etc compared to 4231. But as our AM's have been our under performing aspect of the team maybe that is a good thing, so they all have to fight to get a spot.
Got you, but I think Toby should play on the right of a back 3. Dier is just not comfortable playing on the right as we have seen. Toby and Jan have both done it competently on right and left for some time.

As far as good enough for Spurs is concerned Does that mean Bale, Modric,etc were too good for Spurs and that players like Winks rather than being considered not good enough for Spurs are actually perfect.
You could say that more than half the fucking squad is not good enough for Spurs if Winks isn't.

Back
Top Bottom