Tottenham Hotspur v. Wycombe Wanderers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm glad they didn't win.

There's absolutely nothing tactical, justified or sportsman-like about persistently holding a player's shirt like he's hanging off a cliff.

Yesterday was the first time I'd seen it to that extent - not just a big of shirt tugging, but as good as wrestling a player to stop him moving from the spot.

Honestly, all the Spurs fans moaning about our shirt pulling, rugby-like, rough style are going over the top IMO. It certainly wasn't evident any more than all of our other games this season. I don't know if that's because I've been habituated to it, but I didn't notice anything remotely like that yesterday. You should have seen our match against Notts County before Christmas. That was 10x worse than this.

Honestly, all the Spurs fans moaning about our shirt pulling, rugby-like, rough style are going over the top IMO. It certainly wasn't evident any more than all of our other games this season. I don't know if that's because I've been habituated to it, but I didn't notice anything remotely like that yesterday. You should have seen our match against Notts County before Christmas. That was 10x worse than this.

I know your striker looks like a rugby prop but the game we play is called football.......:roseunsure:

Once Wycombe began to run out of steam it was obvious that they were slowing things down any way they could. Great cup tie though, nobody should be moaning really, just enjoy it for what it was.

If you always play like this, it doesn't excuse it. If you can't win fairly, you don't deserve to imo.

Struggled to get a good capture of it, but the sentiment is there. Literally holding him like a dog on a lead.

Vt_H4_WBI9_K8.gif

S7_ICpp_Asx2.gif

Playing fairly... Wycombe have been a great challenge for us, they played attacking football and I felt for them, even though we won the game.

Football is as uneven as it can be nowadays. Yes, they have been tugging and wrestling for the ball, because it was a FA Cup tie. They saw our line-up and went for it. Football in the lower leagues is much more physical, it's different to the one we know in the PL.

Pulling, shoving, tackling... it's not against the laws of the game when there aren't players getting injured or starting fights.

I think most of us thought it was a good game. Don't recall any particularly dangerous or dirty play- the shirt pulling was sometimes funny but not dangerous. Yellows were given in all appropriate cases. Trippiers injury appeared to be unintentional. We got to see a lot of fringe players make starts. We got to see a freakishly large CF abuse our young center backs (which is v good for them- they are sure to be hitting the weight room hard after that haha). Late dramatic goals were scored and everybody seemed to have a good time.

I'd probably hate you if we drew or lost though. Just being honest here lol.
:dierpochhug::dembelelol::sonpoint::pocheyes::allitongue:

Oh well thats alright then, Im sure Trippier feels much better about getting kneed in the ribs now, and Winks surely is enlightened by a player rugby tackling him to the floor then deliberately falling knees first onto the back of his head.

FA Cup Magic, sigh

Playing fairly... Wycombe have been a great challenge for us, they played attacking football and I felt for them, even though we won the game.

Football is as uneven as it can be nowadays. Yes, they have been tugging and wrestling for the ball, because it was a FA Cup tie. They saw our line-up and went for it. Football in the lower leagues is much more physical, it's different to the one we know in the PL.

Pulling, shoving, tackling... it's not against the laws of the game when there aren't players getting injured or starting fights.

Yeah, and if that was Woolwich?

Dont care if they are 4th division, they already had 12 men.

People have a go at Alli, but excuse Wycombe

It's part of the game, you do it, you get a yellow card, that's what happened. It's not "cheating". That's what Jansen dropping to the floor is called

I didn't say "cheating", I said it was unsportsmanlike and I'm glad teams that do it, lose.

If you want "cheating", I'd say elbowing a player in the face in the box then claiming you didn't do anything wrong is cheating.

The downside for your club is that the refs are now going to be looking your rugby tactics more closely now!

Oh well thats alright then, Im sure Trippier feels much better about getting kneed in the ribs now, and Winks surely is enlightened by a player rugby tackling him to the floor then deliberately falling knees first onto the back of his head.

FA Cup Magic, sigh

There was nothing in the challenge that injured Trippier at all, and the two blatant yellow cards for shirt holding were typical "cynical" shirt holding yellows, not dangerous/ any chance of injuring your players.

I didn't say "cheating", I said it was unsportsmanlike and I'm glad teams that do it, lose.

If you want "cheating", I'd say elbowing a player in the face in the box then claiming you didn't do anything wrong is cheating.

Every team holds shirts, it's part of the game, like it or not.

And saying Jansen was elbowed in the face is embarrassing, it probably was a penalty in all honesty on balance, but having seen it on replay a few times, Pierre hits him with his shoulder/gets way further across Jansen than I first thought at the time when it looked a complete stone-waller, and Jansen was 100% playing for it and was never getting the ball

I think most on here will be aware that i'm a fairly staunch "Kool Aid drinking" Poch supporter. But on Saturday we again saw another example of his uncompromising stance on team selections in cup competitions

I appreciate there is more to his decision to play a complete second string than "not giving a fuck about the cups" and I commend him on his dedication to give our youth players badly needed minutes, but i have to question the perseverance in logic that means we consistently have to rely on talent coming off the bench to win cup games.

A lot will say "he underestimated the opponent" but i think he overestimates the collective ability of playing 9 or 10 squad players in the same team.

Admittedly at the back he is struggling for options, but we where fucking woeful. Credit to Wycombe... yadda... yadda. I thought id struggle to see a worse performance than the City game this season.

What annoyed me most was the over complication of most of our play, its like the players (perhaps in a desire to impress the manager) where going out their way to show up the division in talent between them and their opponents..... unnecessary standing on the ball, flicks, back heels..... none of it coming off, and the defending, jesus christ.... cant be arsed to track back or even stand on the penalty spot and head away a lofted hopeful ball. We'll just go up the other end and score two injury time goals.

Yes, we got the result, but for me, if you need to end up finishing the game with ten men because you've used all your subs in a bid to rescue a completely winnable game then you have to question the decision to line up that way in the first place.

I don't want to see CCV and Wimmer as our back pairing again this season.... i'd rather get Fazio back.

Back
Top Bottom