January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Over 100 pages, and over1,500 posts......and zero signings.
But the general consensus on here seems to be we've had a successful window. Bizarre.

You got your big signing in the summer John!! You had your last minute big one! Rejoice in that

The 100 pages is a total waste of time, as it would have been on Liverpools, Arsenals, Citys, Uniteds, and Chelsea's internet forum too

The 100 pages is a total waste of time, as it would have been on Liverpools, Arsenals, Citys, Uniteds, and Chelsea's internet forum too
As I said earlier. We never strengthen in January, and we always fall away in the run in. Surely you would accept that.You and many others may be happy to try our luck again and see what happens.
I'd like to see us, just for once, make a concerted effort for glory.

No one at the top of the league buys anything of note in January.

Why do people insist on the myth that we can just pop out and sign a difference maker at this point in the season.

No one wants to sell their star men in Jan. It just doesn't happen.

As I said earlier. We never strengthen in January, and we always fall away in the run in. Surely you would accept that.You and many others may be happy to try our luck again and see what happens.

And buy who John? We go around in circles

Again by definition which team in January will sell someone that is valuable to Tottenham to Tottenham?

Klopp out the Liverpool fans said at weekend, who did they want in? No idea

I would not say luck.

I think it is about a plan. We have a super squad in many respects and are consistent and have been for 2 seasons now.

We bought in the summer and it is fair to say that Wanyama has been excellent, Janssen still finding his feet and Sissoko thus far being a disappointment.

But we are still a mercurial talent or 3rd striker away from having all the tools a top squad need in my opinion.

It seems most have accepted we are going to get better and better whereas I am more inclined to believe our players can't give much more. Kane might get a bit better in that he can produce in 4 games out of 5 as opposed to arguably 4 out of 6/7. Alli is a fantastic talent who could get 10% better and that would be frightening but our other players? So for me we just need and needed a bit more and now.

I think realistically the title is gone as an aim this season. Chelsea stole a march and like Leicester last season have not had key injuries to 2/3 big players as well as having a style of play that is effective and for me the best striker in the league. Theatrical Costa may be but he really is where Kane wants to get to. Aside from Chelsea though no one is that much better if at all.

I just hope our transfer inactivity does not come back to bite us again because that would be our failing. It's a big football world out there but we seem unwilling or incapable when it comes to strikers.

Notabadsquad, Agree with you about the first 11, think we get the best from them, is their replacements where we lose out, I know you can't expect the replacement to be at same level, but look at out bench week in week out, Yes I'm happy to see a kid on the bench and bring him on towards end of game to give him experience, but what about the others
the second string
Keeper & Full backs ok,
centre halfs other than Dier, the other 2 Wimmer CCV we saw them Last Saturday
Midfield
Winks ok, GKN is ok to me but Poch seems not to like him, Sissoko well that was money well spent, who comes on for Eriksen I don't see anyone
and who is sub striker ? Janseen we could have got Dembele last year for £1/2m, but we got Janseen for £19m, or there is Son, another player that seems to be hot or not, mostly not

Notabadsquad, Agree with you about the first 11, think we get the best from them, is their replacements where we lose out, I know you can't expect the replacement to be at same level, but look at out bench week in week out, Yes I'm happy to see a kid on the bench and bring him on towards end of game to give him experience, but what about the others
the second string
Keeper & Full backs ok,
centre halfs other than Dier, the other 2 Wimmer CCV we saw them Last Saturday
Midfield
Winks ok, GKN is ok to me but Poch seems not to like him, Sissoko well that was money well spent, who comes on for Eriksen I don't see anyone
and who is sub striker ? Janseen we could have got Dembele last year for £1/2m, but we got Janseen for £19m, or there is Son, another player that seems to be hot or not, mostly not
I'm at a loss trying to understand why you think Dembele would have been better signing.
Would you say the Scottish League is on par with the Eredivisie? (Personally I'd say the Eredivisie is far better, or certainly has better payers in it). We bought the top goal scorer in the Eredivisie last year, he hasn't found his feet yet. Why would Dembele be any better? Dembele he has scored 9 goals from 21league games, playing in a team that hasn't lost a game and is 20 points clear at the top of the league. 9 Goals, Celtic have scored 59 goals this season!!! Son has played 19 and scored 7 (from the wing!) Obviously you must watch Dembele play every single week to know that he is the player we should have bought him instead. What do you see, how is he better, why attributes does he possess that means he would have fitted into to team? You do watch him don't you? (I bet you have never seen him play).

Last edited:
We havent had a squad this good since the early 80s though.

We have 50M in Sissoko and Janssen who need to come good. You dont just buy and buy and buy because the last signings have'nt ripped the shit out of it after 4 months at the club.

You want a striker that guarantees us goals. We thought we had that when we signed Janssen.

But lets do another last minute dot com, and spunk some money on......say......err........who will definitely score goals? As in not taking a chance on a Berahino type.

Anyone from abroad who isnt 70M, is no guarantee to hit the ground running, so maybe we should go with PL proven.

Lets just go and buy Rashford and De Bruyne shall we. Its just that simple.....or have we decided that Jay Rod who has played about 4 games in two years, and scored as many goals is our sure fire shot to the title?

All in all, as none of the top 6 bought anyone, and barely any movement across Europe, we can conclude now that the January transfer window has been #foundout

Panic buys, no value, and another vehicle for agents to make money, no wonder it was ignored. The round of games actually helped to make it a non event, I hope Sky Sports News enjoyed another wasted evening

All in all, as none of the top 6 bought anyone, and barely any movement across Europe, we can conclude now that the January transfer window has been #foundout

Panic buys, no value, and another vehicle for agents to make money, no wonder it was ignored. The round of games actually helped to make it a non event, I hope Sky Sports News enjoyed another wasted evening

You're wrong. Daniel Levy is just a tight fisted cunt who wants to see us fail. :vertna:

:bentley::dierpochhug:

Looks so far like backing Kone to stay at Everton at 6/1 was actually worth putting more than £1 on.

Oh well.

Remember back in the summer when people were getting all up in arms over Leicester spending big to consolidate their title victory, and "FFS Levy WHY WON'T YOU SPEND!?"

Back
Top Bottom