Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Janssen is a big guy, but when I look at him I still see a growing young man whom hasn't quite finished growing up yet- which is fine- he's still a fantastic young striker prospect. He had 1 season in the Eredivisie and is still in his first prem season- huge, huge difference in the quality of the game and it's not surprising he is struggling to adapt- it's natural, especially at his age and stage of development. He needs more game time. He needs more work on playing without his back to the goal. He needs more support from the fans to defend his mentality from the caustic prem media spotlight. If by mid-season next season he hasn't scored from open play and has had a healthy number of games, I'll start to be a bit worried- but not worried that he isn't good, just that he'll be more of a workman Dirk Kuyt type player than a real goal-scorer.

I really doubt we could do better in the backup striker spot though without damaging the squad harmony.

Janssen is a big guy, but when I look at him I still see a growing young man whom hasn't quite finished growing up yet- which is fine- he's still a fantastic young striker prospect. He had 1 season in the Eredivisie and is still in his first prem season- huge, huge difference in the quality of the game and it's not surprising he is struggling to adapt- it's natural, especially at his age and stage of development. He needs more game time. He needs more work on playing without his back to the goal. He needs more support from the fans to defend his mentality from the caustic prem media spotlight. If by mid-season next season he hasn't scored from open play and has had a healthy number of games, I'll start to be a bit worried- but not worried that he isn't good, just that he'll be more of a workman Dirk Kuyt type player than a real goal-scorer.

I really doubt we could do better in the backup striker spot though without damaging the squad harmony.

:defoe:

Only shame was that his header didn't go in, because a winner from Janssen would have been great.

He was very unlucky not to score the winner today. Thought he played well. He is still very young and shouldn't be written off yet.
It was very promising that he was actually in the right place to get his head on the ball and direct it towards goal (even if it was saved). The more confident he is, the less likely he'll be to drop too deep to try and influence play. He's a handful - so opposition defenders will be even more nervous if he gets himself in the box.

Fully expect Kane to be fit for Tuesday's match against Sunderland - but could see him being subbed if we're comfortably ahead with a view to Middlesborough on Saturday.
Big Vinny might be able to build on yesterday's performance sooner rather than later.

No thanks- I remember the last time Defoe played for us and I was constantly frustrated with him at that time.
I would much rather have Janssen. We do so much better with a little size up top a la Kane, Janssen, etc.
If we were gonna seriously talk about having an ex-Spurs striker play for us, I'd much rather have Peter Crouch than Jermaine Defoe. I'm sure you all will laugh at me, but I thought he looked extremely good for Stoke in the past few weeks. The man is a fucking legend too scoring our winning goal against AC MILAN!
Remember me?:crouch:
Im sure Abby still looks pretty good too. Great deal all around, no?
:eriksenlol:

couldn't understand why again Janssen and Nkoudou not playing simultaneously. For a 2nd match running, one comes on, the other goes off.

We know Janssen's good in the air, and we saw GKN putting in great crosses v Villa.

Fully expect Kane to be fit for Tuesday's match against Sunderland - but could see him being subbed if we're comfortably ahead with a view to Middlesborough on Saturday.
Big Vinny might be able to build on yesterday's performance sooner rather than later.

...well that's gone and done it!!
Scrappy draw at best now, thanks!

Janssen looked quite good when he came on, whether that he had found a level where he could cause problems, he seemed to be getting into the right spaces. I want him to do well, he's a young lad, trying to make it in a new league. He won the penalty, got up and had the balls to smash it past the keeper all whilst there had been an air of negativity from some quarters. As soon as he scores from open play I think he'll relax a bit more and play with a bit more confidence. He set Sonny up and was unlucky with his header.

My view of his penalty...

My view of his penalty...

Well I'm glad you saw it go in... we couldn't!

LAAAAAAAAAAAANDSCAPE FFS!!!!
:pochfacepalm:

My main concern with 'Penalty King Vinny' is that even those are almost being guessed correctly now... 'keeper got a proper hand to it, even some of the Wycombe fans had started jumping up 'cos they thought he'd saved it!

If Vinny ain't got his Pen Power... what has he got?

Poor fucker!

Well I'm glad you saw it go in... we couldn't!

LAAAAAAAAAAAANDSCAPE FFS!!!!
:pochfacepalm:

My main concern with 'Penalty King Vinny' is that even those are almost being guessed correctly now... 'keeper got a proper hand to it, even some of the Wycombe fans had started jumping up 'cos they thought he'd saved it!

If Vinny ain't got his Pen Power... what has he got?

Poor fucker!

3 in 3 isn't now? I just want him to do well for us as he's a Spurs player.

Not a massive fan of videoing every second of a match, much rather experience it. Others around us seemed to just film everything.

3 in 3 isn't now? I just want him to do well for us as he's a Spurs player.

Not a massive fan of videoing every second of a match, much rather experience it. Others around us seemed to just film everything.

I guess the point of filming it, is to look back fondly on it when you get home, and re-live the experience.... not have to guess where the ball went 'cos it disappears out of shot the moment it's left his boot!

...if you're gonna film it, at least film it at the right angle!!

I guess the point of filming it, is to look back fondly on it when you get home, and re-live the experience.... not have to guess where the ball went 'cos it disappears out of shot the moment it's left his boot!

...if you're gonna film it, at least film it at the right angle!!

Sorry will make more of an effort next time. :levyeyes:

No thanks- I remember the last time Defoe played for us and I was constantly frustrated with him at that time.
I would much rather have Janssen. We do so much better with a little size up top a la Kane, Janssen, etc.
If we were gonna seriously talk about having an ex-Spurs striker play for us, I'd much rather have Peter Crouch than Jermaine Defoe. I'm sure you all will laugh at me, but I thought he looked extremely good for Stoke in the past few weeks. The man is a fucking legend too scoring our winning goal against AC MILAN!
Remember me?:crouch:
Im sure Abby still looks pretty good too. Great deal all around, no?
:eriksenlol:

In fairness, I wouldn't say no to Crouchy as a genuine Plan Z option...

couldn't understand why again Janssen and Nkoudou not playing simultaneously. For a 2nd match running, one comes on, the other goes off.

We know Janssen's good in the air, and we saw GKN putting in great crosses v Villa.
Aaaah...Because Son and Janssen just handed us the winner and Son and Janssen is a slight bit better than Janssen and NKoudou?. Son and Janssen have combined a few more goals between them and will see much more of them as we march on for the FA Cup.

Back
Top Bottom