Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch got it wrong, but he was entitled to expect more from his players. I think he had a confused Saturday evening.
He got it wrong? The players didn't perform. Did he get it wrong or did the player underperform-who knows? The fact is we were shite-the worse performance ever-It was one of those days. Im expecting to win next weekend on the back of a draw on Thurs. Liverpool will be a distant memory, just another game in a long season.

Honestly, we could play liverpool away again next week & people will attack anyone who says they are worried about the match.
Unless you say "an easy win for us, liverpool are shit & we are great" then you will most likely get attacked on here.
I did for saying liverpool will be harder than some seem to think it will be. I didn't even say we would lose.

Its become a strange forum where you have to pretend the team & manager have no flaws.
If you say openly they do then you get attacked.
I tend to agree with this. All can be a little sensitive when there is criticism aimed at the club or players. Ive had a moment of vile shite relies-its not nice.
In football, support of play-you have to be realistic. Although believing you may lose is not constructive, you must always look at the positives . I can see the flaws in Kane as a player but I keep them to myself. The club hero, top scorer for two seasons but has has flaws that he need to improve on or we need to replace. This argument is for the summer not now when we are trying to compete for top 4.

Last edited:
He got it wrong? The players didn't perform. Did he get it wrong or did the player underperform-who knows? The fact is we were shite-the worse performance ever-It was one of those days. Im expecting to win next weekend on the back of a draw on Thurs. Liverpool will be a distant memory, just another game in a long season.
I think it was a mix of the 2. Poch getting it wrong & the players under-performing.
Maybe it is a mental thing.
It was liverpool away (tough) so we move on & start again with the Belgians!

I get the faster part, especially with Rose out, but we rarely get out muscled.
Yep I agree our form has taken a slide. The Wycombe performance I don't count, but I think losing Rose in the Sunderland game has been the key factor to the poor form. We could probably cope with Jan but Rose, along with Toby and Kane, cannot be replaced.

Probably should have seen this coming. We scraped by fourth tier Wycombe with a miracle, drew with bottom dweller Sunderland, and had to have a penalty to top Middlesbrough at WHL. Poor form, not top four worthy. Liverpool were due and hungry. They were faster, and more physical.

I get the faster part, especially with Rose out, but we rarely get out muscled.

:pochrolleyes:
two wins and a draw???

I think it was a mix of the 2. Poch getting it wrong & the players under-performing.
Maybe it is a mental thing.
It was liverpool away (tough) so we move on & start again with the Belgians!
Maybe it was Klopp getting it right from the off and by the time we realised what was happening we were two down. After that we coped and Liverpool were kicking and bulling -the ref had a poor game (no excuse here-just how it was for me) The last hour Liverpool just disrupted the flow of the game because they knew . if we got going, they could not stay with us. Thats how good other teams see us. Liverpool did a number of us-the second half nothing happen from both teams.

See, you do nothing but insult people. These are not just quotes aimed at me, but other members, and all today. And you feel wounded that I called you a clown. Don't think I've ever voted to sin bin anyone before, but your worthy of it more than anyone
Your a disgrace.
I haven't criticised you personally, just what you post.
However the comment to Scott equally applies to your posts - as that is how they make you appear.

If you don't want to give that impression then find a better way of expressing yourself.
Or a better place to do so.

You are the architect of the response you are getting, yet somehow its all my fault.

Nice rationale.

You do know that John Thomas is a euphemism for a penis, don't you?

i really wish I didn't work with so many scouscers! Not looking forward to tomorrow at work, and I'm sure with the Chavs drawing today they will all be thinking the title race is back on again!
The way I see it now is he Chavs have got 1st today showed they are happy to play for the point as they can afford to draw 5 games now and still win, 2nd is between us and city as I think we will be able to go on another nice run now, 4th place would rather see united get it then woolich or the scouse twats!
And to complete the season let's send down the champions of England in our last game against them at the Lane!

i really wish I didn't work with so many scouscers! Not looking forward to tomorrow at work, and I'm sure with the Chavs drawing today they will all be thinking the title race is back on again!
The way I see it now is he Chavs have got 1st today showed they are happy to play for the point as they can afford to draw 5 games now and still win, 2nd is between us and city as I think we will be able to go on another nice run now, 4th place would rather see united get it then woolich or the scouse twats!
And to complete the season let's send down the champions of England in our last game against them at the Lane!
Send them to take interviews, (presuming you work in a job centre)

United, Liverpool, city have all lost games or dropped points at home. We haven't. We have a shit away record particularly against the teams around us and because of that we will not win a league, but I believe we are the best of the rest after Chelsea. We've had some key injuries. The other teams around us haven't really had those. Injured players will be back fresh at the right time and we won't lose at home and have burnely away as the highest place team. I'm confident we can get top 4. Yes our reserve players aren't the same quality as the ones they stand in for. It's because we sell them off if they are worth anything. Caroll is one I see playing now that we should have kept. Sissoko is one that we wasted 30million on. It's beyond me what we saw in him. Nearing his 30s, not that good either and one our most expensive buys. Big week coming up. Two European games around a winnable home game. Coys

I posted early on in this thread that I would have taken a draw then. This fixture has been a nightmare down the years with only 6 victories in the last 100 years. There have been times when I would have accepted a 2-0 defeat and we not turn up for the annual ridicule and as I now think a draw was possible we must be better.
I quote this 'We played Liverpool back-to-back over the Easter weekend of 1963. We led 2-0 in the Good Friday game at Anfield only to lose 5-2! "I thought at half-time 'we might have cracked it here' but in the end we got stuffed!" said Cliff.' However, the tables were turned as we put together a stunning performance and 7-2 win at the Lane on Easter Monday!'
This was a team that had won the double only 2 years earlier with Greaves etc and they were humiliated 5-2 after leading 2-0.
My point is this shit keeps happening whether we have a stronger or weaker team and we should win more often up there but we need to get over it and move on. It will have no bearing on the outcome of our quest for top 4.
I missed the match and only saw MOD. However from the comments on this thread clearly Davies should never have been left so exposed. Either Poch got it wrong or someone did not do their job.
Why we have played so badly in the first half of so many matches recently I cannot understand. Poch blames the players but is it poor info on the opposition as he seems to get an improvement 2nd half.
Our record against the top 6 and away record is poor but I think we have to lose sometime and 3 times so far is better than average and I hated it more when we lost at home to a team in a relegation slot.
It is marginally less painful that I did not sit through watching the whole match but any defeat is painful.

In summary we have played Liverpool 3 times this season. 3 times we have been outplayed, funnily enough I think that any team that we play, who has a similar pressing game as us, we struggle against. Particularly when we play the 4231. I really think the system hurts us against a similar style. Fact is liverpool have done us 3 times, once we got out of jail.

Over with now, learn, work hard and don't let it happen again. Beers in Belgium next :)

funnily enough I think that any team that we play, who has a similar pressing game as us, we struggle against. Particularly when we play the 4231. I really think the system hurts us against a similar style.

Thats become a bit of a mantra yet people overlook the 9pts we have taken off City with that formation, scoring 8 and conceding 2 in three games against them.

The three games against Pool you mention yet not once were we full strength. At The Lane, Walker went off injured after 20 odd minutes and we brought on Janssen, dropped Dier to RB and had to put Alli CM, and Dembele was suspended.

The cup was kids, and yesterday we were missing Rose and Jan (not to mention Lamela) who are massively key to our pressing game.
Its not the tactic that is suddenly not working, its the injuries to key players in the system.

Spurs and Liverpool are not the only team that harass teams on the ball despite the papers over hyping it.

In fact, Ive seen us press about three times this season.

Have had a look at the next 4 gameweeks coming up. It's a long way to look forward, but it seems that it could work to our favour IF we can manage to put a few good results together. Chavs look too far ahead, but regarding 2nd place it doesn't look bleak at all.

Next GW:
Chelsea play Swansea and they will win that bar a miracle.
City vs United was supposed to be played, but is postponed due to the fina
Woolwich against Southampton, postponed as well.

We play Stoke at home and Liverpool play Leicester away. Not expecting anything from the Foxes, but with City, United and Scum not playing we'll get a chance to open up a gap again to the 5th/6th placed teams

If City win tomorrow and ourselves and Liverpool win it will look like this before GW 27:
Chelsea 26 63
Spurs 26 53
Pool 26 52
City 25 52
Scum 25 50
United 25 48

GW 27:
Man U - Cherries H
Pool - Woolwich H
Spurs - Toffees H
Sunderland - City A
Spam - Chelsea A

Chelsea 27 66
Spurs 27 56
Pool 27 55
City 26 55
United 26 51
Scum 26 50

GW 28:
City - Stoke H
Palace - Spurs A
Woolwich - Leicester H
Soton - United A
Pool - Burnley H
Chelsea - Watford

Chelsea 28 69
Spurs 28 59
Pool 28 58
City 27 58
United 27 54
Scum 27 53

GW 29:
West Brom - WW D!
Stoke - Chelsea A
Boro - United D!
Spurs - Soton H
City - Pool D

Chelsea 29 72
Spurs 29 62
Pool 29 59
City 28 59
United 28 55
Scum 28 54

Thats become a bit of a mantra yet people overlook the 9pts we have taken off City with that formation, scoring 8 and conceding 2 in three games against them.

The three games against Pool you mention yet not once were we full strength. At The Lane, Walker went off injured after 20 odd minutes and we brought on Janssen, dropped Dier to RB and had to put Alli CM, and Dembele was suspended.

The cup was kids, and yesterday we were missing Rose and Jan (not to mention Lamela) who are massively key to our pressing game.
Its not the tactic that is suddenly not working, its the injuries to key players in the system.
If you don't have all the personnel available - you have to adjust the tactics

If you don't have all the personnel available - you have to adjust the tactics

Agree...Id have liked to go 442 yesterday. Did'nt have the staff for 3 at the back either.

Had enough for some wing play, a strong central midfield and two up top though.

Of course, thats theoretical, because we've never played 442 under Poch, so he couldnt exactly start at Anfield. But why its not in our emergency draw I dont know.

Back
Top Bottom