Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No problem with that Joe but it was him that fashioned our only real chance yesterday. I bring this up as merely trying to add weight to my argument that he can play with the ball at his feet, whereas young Trips would have put it into the box and for us not to be on the end of it.

I've no issues if we replace Davies, feel his time has come. But given the choice Trips goes first.
Ok, but one chance given his abject defensive display is not a good return imo. Anyway, we're not going to change each other's minds, so I'm happy to leave it here. I respect your opinion as always.

Last edited:
He'll be gone in the summer.

Just doesn't offer enough going forward and lacks the pace to get back into defence when needed.

A talented player, but not as a left back and not in our system unfortunately.

Davies playing yesterday also makes me appreciates how good Danny Rose is and blaming just Davies is harsh. The whole back line looked totally out of sorts at various times during the game

As long as he doesn't get the chance to show what he can do as a left-sided centreback in a 3-4-3 I agree with you Jayc1 Jayc1 that he'll be gone in the summer.

Yesterday, he got no protection, but he has a travesty of a game on top of that...luckily for him he'll get a few more chances. I like him, but I fear for him.

Davies playing yesterday also makes me appreciates how good Danny Rose is and blaming just Davies is harsh. The whole back line looked totally out of sorts at various times during the game
A lot of that stems from the lack of protection on our left. Son offered nothing to support defensively & the normally reliable Wanyama & Dembele were not at the races either. Our defence was getting pulled across to the left every time Mane had the ball. And so they kept giving it to Mane (obviously!). That left acres of space across the rest of the back line & Hugo bailed us out countless times. We were run ragged. And Davies was targeted as the weak link. He was...but in fairness he was surrounded by weak links yesterday.

Btw- welcome to the forum.

He'll be gone in the summer.

Just doesn't offer enough going forward and lacks the pace to get back into defence when needed.

A talented player, but not as a left back and not in our system unfortunately.

Hopefully to Man City for £20m
:kanegoal:

A lot of that stems from the lack of protection on our left. Son offered nothing to support defensively & the normally reliable Wanyama & Dembele were not at the races either. Our defence was getting pulled across to the left every time Mane had the ball. And so they kept giving it to Mane (obviously!). That left acres of space across the rest of the back line & Hugo bailed us out countless times. We were run ragged. And Davies was targeted as the weak link. He was...but in fairness he was surrounded by weak links yesterday.

Btw- welcome to the forum.
If we played our best 11 apart from davies instead of rose. I think davies would perform way better than yesterday.
Obviously not as good as rose but still very solid & decent going forward.
It's similar to how in cup games a lot of the fringe players look worse than they probably are due to being thrown in with a lot of other fringe players.
If he played badly in our best line up with our usual defence, more protection etc, then I wouldn't defend him.
But yesterday it seem like he was on a hiding to nothing! Although he has to shoulder some of the blame of course.

They miss Rose as a player, I also think they miss his overall influence - he is the only outfield player who shows leadership qualities. The rest of the team disappeared yesterday, absolutely zero character displayed.

If we played our best 11 apart from davies instead of rose. I think davies would perform way better than yesterday.
Obviously not as good as rose but still very solid & decent going forward.
It's similar to how in cup games a lot of the fringe players look worse than they probably are due to being thrown in with a lot of other fringe players.
If he played badly in our best line up with our usual defence etc, then I wouldn't defend him.
But yesterday it seem like he was on a hiding to nothing! Although he has to take shoulder some of the blame of course.
Same line up for Gent imo. Yesterday was not good for anyone's confidence. I don't want the next league game to be the next time we see this team (if it's our strongest available- which I assume it to be at present). They need to get that mojo back after such a morale puncturing mauling. Confidence in themselves and in each other. I certainly wouldn't rotate anyone who wasn't tired & in need of a rest. A poor result against Gent with the second string would be another kick in the balls in terms of squad confidence. Better to have our injured players returning to a side that is flying again, rather than scraping results or getting roundly beaten like yesterday.

Same line up for Gent imo. Yesterday was not good for anyone's confidence. I don't want the next league game to be the next time we see this team (if it's our strongest available- which I assume it to be at present). They need to get that mojo back after such a morale puncturing mauling. Confidence in themselves and in each other. I certainly wouldn't rotate anyone who wasn't tired & in need of a rest. A poor result against Gent with the second string would be another kick in the balls in terms of squad confidence. Better to have our injured players returning to a side that is flying again, rather than scraping results or getting roundly beaten like yesterday.
Interesting way of looking at it. Also, get a good away result in the first leg & it will make the home leg easier if poch wants to rest a few.
In saying that, I would rest dier as he has played so much football & could do with a rest!
wimmer in for dier!

Interesting way of looking at it. Also, get a good away result in the first leg & it will make the home leg easier if poch wants to rest a few.
In saying that, I would rest dier as he has played so much football & could do with a rest!
wimmer in for dier!
No issue with resting Dier- if he's tired.
And yes, a good away leg makes the next two games (Fulham & Gent at Wembley) much easier to plan for. Hopefully, by Stoke, we could have Verts, Rose & Lamela back in contention...how good would that be?

Davies is a better footballer than Trippier. Trippier is poor, his crossing ability everyone wanks over ain't all that, rarely finds a white shirt, very low percentage.
Well you say that however he defends as good as Davies and has a better delivery. No point mentioning them in the same breath IMO because they play on different sides. That last performance has got me thinking though he needs week in week out football.

Seems the type of lad to work hard and i used to work with a Welsh girl who was 2 years below him in high school and says he was a decent bloke back then so I say let him go, get Sessegnon and a temp LB who we can have for a season or two while ryan gets to grips with the first team standard

Well you say that however he defends as good as Davies and has a better delivery. No point mentioning them in the same breath IMO because they play on different sides. That last performance has got me thinking though he needs week in week out football.

Seems the type of lad to work hard and i used to work with a Welsh girl who was 2 years below him in high school and says he was a decent bloke back then so I say let him go, get Sessegnon and a temp LB who we can have for a season or two while ryan gets to grips with the first team standard
IMO both he and Davies did a fantastic job in pushing Rose and Walker to their wonderful heights (best Full Backs in the league). They competed well when given the opportunity in the side, there was heated debate about who was better etc..But now both have thrown in the towel, they have taken the challenge as far as they can go. As Rose and Walker have progressed and progressed, Davies and Trips have (this season) have declined, causing a huge gulf in difference. Both are absolutely fine against Fulham and Wycombe but they are miles off now. I want bang on any more about trips "delivery" it's all there in the thread.

Davies is ok against teams outside the top 6. Not sure a reserve LB is our highest priority in the summer. Need to have more game changers on the bench further forward.

IMO both he and Davies did a fantastic job in pushing Rose and Walker to their wonderful heights (best Full Backs in the league). They competed well when given the opportunity in the side, there was heated debate about who was better etc..But now both have thrown in the towel, they have taken the challenge as far as they can go. As Rose and Walker have progressed and progressed, Davies and Trips have (this season) have declined, causing a huge gulf in difference. Both are absolutely fine against Fulham and Wycombe but they are miles off now. I want bang on any more about trips "delivery" it's all there in the thread.
I couldn't agree more with the fact that Trips and Davies are a major contributing factor in Walker and Roses uprising. Saying that though if I could have my way we'd let Davies go or at least allow him to go nuts and inprove drastically in terms of athleticism or sell him so he gets the first team PL football he deserves. Maybe when Baines retires if Koeman is still there we can let him go. Can't identify a perfect backup option personally but signing Sessegnon would be a potential Rose replacement.

I couldn't agree more with the fact that Trips and Davies are a major contributing factor in Walker and Roses uprising. Saying that though if I could have my way we'd let Davies go or at least allow him to go nuts and inprove drastically in terms of athleticism or sell him so he gets the first team PL football he deserves. Maybe when Baines retires if Koeman is still there we can let him go. Can't identify a perfect backup option personally but signing Sessegnon would be a potential Rose replacement.

Only alternative is to 'make' a new Rose backup in the same way that Conte done with Moses.

As Rose and Walker have progressed and progressed, Davies and Trips have (this season) have declined, causing a huge gulf in difference. Both are absolutely fine against Fulham and Wycombe but they are miles off now. I want bang on any more about trips "delivery" it's all there in the thread.
I'd agree with the Rose/Davies contrast, but I think Trippier could still have a future at Spurs. Rose is turning into one of the best players in the world in his position, so he is impossible to match, but Walker isn't at quite that level.

A Championship level player we scored on a free in order to flog them Siggy. Not sure why people are so surprised Mane's pace exposed him for the utterly average player he truly is.

We can't afford a back up player as good as Rose on the bench so the next best thing is for Poch to adjust the formation something he got wrong yesterday

Davies was getting a lot of the blame in the ground yesterday, along with Dier - not sure why anyone should be singled out for yesterdays performance. Both goals came from multiple errors and no one really played to the level normally expected of them........we love a scapegoat though

Back
Top Bottom