Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree...Id have liked to go 442 yesterday. Did'nt have the staff for 3 at the back either.

Had enough for some wing play, a strong central midfield and two up top though.

Of course, thats theoretical, because we've never played 442 under Poch, so he couldnt exactly start at Anfield. But why its not in our emergency draw I dont know.
I think 442 is 'obsolete' in the Prem unless you have a very specific type of second striker or an amazing strike partnership (Keane / Berbatov, Cole / Yorke / ) with a near-world class midfield behind them. Even back then we often played to 'outscore' the opposition rather than win. SAF's teams could pull it off, mind you

More on point - I think Poch was a little naive on Saturday because every man and his dog knew their 3 forwards will target Dier and Davies with their pace. We pushed too far up and had no insurance at the back which can deal with that pace. Add to that 3 bizarre subs and it simply wasn't his day Hopefully lesson learnt. COYS

More on point - I think Poch was a little naive on Saturday because every man and his dog knew their 3 forwards will target Dier and Davies with their pace. We pushed too far up and had no insurance at the back which can deal with that pace. Add to that 3 bizarre subs and it simply wasn't his day Hopefully lesson learnt. COYS
if it was Poches first season I could agree that I would hope he would learn, but its not
we have had 4-5 games similar to this one (this one, man City away, CL games) we all knew how Liverpool would play, Poch knew Jan & Rose where missing, so all week he should have been working on a plan's to combat them
I thought Poch was getting it this season with the changes to formations for different games, I thought he was understanding tactics change for the different teams you play, only Barca at their high could say "we play this way no matter who we play"

He did at Woolwich last year?

I think Poch is well aware of how to win (or rather not lose) at the big away grounds. I hope we set up in a similar manor on Saturday - defend in our own half, keep it compact, dare them to break us down and smash them up on the counter.

My only worry is if Hugo gets blinded by the floodlights reflecting off of Firminho's teeth.

I agree this would of been the right approach but I just did not see Poch giving Liverpool that kind of respect and I expected a live by the sword die by the sword approach.

Unfortunately it did not work and we will hopefully learn from this. Onwards and upwards now, plenty of winnable games in the coming months. Let's secure top 4 and hopefully a bit of silverware.

I agree this would of been the right approach but I just did not see Poch giving Liverpool that kind of respect and I expected a live by the sword die by the sword approach.

Unfortunately it did not work and we will hopefully learn from this. Onwards and upwards now, plenty of winnable games in the coming months. Let's secure top 4 and hopefully a bit of silverware.

Can't really say "i told you so". We played so badly that i don't think you can say we played a defensive or and offensive game.

Our back line was so out of balance and we got caught in possession so many times that it was difficult to get any sort or rhythm going be it possession based or counter attacking.

In other news the Guardian are quoting Mane's agent as saying he didnt choose the scousers over us because of money.

Mauricio Pochettino insists Spurs’ challenge merits greater recognition

Okay m8. He went to a club that arent even in Europe let alone the CL and have finished below us 6 out of the last 7 seasons for the arts and culture.

We can debate all we like about the tactics on Saturday, but there's no setup that can survive playing shit. If we're pushing up like we did we can't give the ball away in central or deep areas with the pace of Mane on the counter, its suicide. Yet we did that consistently first half, both their goals came from it, the first one Wan I think gave it away, then Dier with a shocker for the second. If we don't make these basic errors its a different game.

if it was Poches first season I could agree that I would hope he would learn, but its not
we have had 4-5 games similar to this one (this one, man City away, CL games) we all knew how Liverpool would play, Poch knew Jan & Rose where missing, so all week he should have been working on a plan's to combat them
I thought Poch was getting it this season with the changes to formations for different games, I thought he was understanding tactics change for the different teams you play, only Barca at their high could say "we play this way no matter who we play"

Nor really fair in my opinion.....it took to halfway through his third season to introduce 3 at the back, which is arguably our most potent. He discovered how to neutralise chelsea when no one else could.

This to me shows he a manager who learns and adapts.

He cant just pull out a magic formula for every team. We spanked Utd 3-0 at home, and have torn City to pieces on 3 occasions, once away. Regulary outplay Woolwich too, despite the draws that should have been wins.

Cant start saying he is a one trick pony because we havent beaten Liverpool

First thing that sprung to mind when this happened on Sat was when Walker told Chadli to go under the wall (can't recall who it was against), he did and we scored. It is very rare to see a free kick taker do that, I actually can't recall another, though I'm sure there are some floating about on youtube.

2nd thought that went through my head was do the dippers have a mole at Spurs? It was Walker again talking to the free kick taker. So, Dippers deploy Cuntinho to kneel down behind a wall, which has never been seen before to prevent a free kick only ever been seen once before by the team who originally did it.
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

We can debate all we like about the tactics on Saturday, but there's no setup that can survive playing shit. If we're pushing up like we did we can't give the ball away in central or deep areas with the pace of Mane on the counter, its suicide. Yet we did that consistently first half, both their goals came from it, the first one Wan I think gave it away, then Dier with a shocker for the second. If we don't make these basic errors its a different game.
Story of this season really, we make it easy for teams to score against us with stupid errors.
We have done it at Liverpool, Man U, city, WBA , Chelsea at home to Leicester not to mention CL, I could go on. The 3 games we lost you could say were because we gifted goals.
I think we have been our own worst enemy and haven't learnt a thing.
I would say to defender just get it upfield if you're under pressure early. Ride the storm out and then play the natural game.
Davies was the target when we played Boro ffs.
Maybe, with hindsight Wimmer in a back 3 would have been more sensible.
Or even Wimmer in a back 4.
Yet it seems that Poch prefers to play to right footed CBs rather than have Wimmer deputise for Vertonghen.
He played him away at Chelsea as a LB, and he did ok last year. So I take it we won't be seeing Davies at LB any more.

Like this:

"Hugo placed his paraphernalia next to the goal post, checked his gloves, and tightened his boots. The crowd exuberated with the hideous high pitched screech that he'd come to expect from Anfield: his soft French dialect a stark contrast from the shrill Liverpudlian drawl. It reminded him of nails on a chalkboard.

He took a ritualistic deep breath, then studied the men ahead of him; 'Davies 33, Dier 15'.

He felt a sudden lack of confidence hit him. "C'est des conneries" he said, quietly to himself"...

:llorisunsure:

Go on, go on. Make me look that up
You smug bastard! :mad:

Well said

Our worst performance of the season by both manager and team

Hopefully it's now out of our system!

When the fuck is Lamela back???

Been sitting on this, wondering whether to bring it up or not. I went to Anfield on Saturday and was disgusted by some idiots standing behind me. I've heard some vile shit spouted at games in the past, home and away, but, what I witnessed at Anfield the other day really left a sour taste.
Anyone that was present would of seen the half time penalty taking comp that happened at half time. It all went off with the usual respect that you would expect from "normal" human beings. Unfortunately it all went shit when a few fuckin scumbags behind me decided to give the particepents shit as they were exiting the sidelines via the Anfield road stand.
Shouting out, "Scouse Spastic Cunts" to a group of mainly U 15s is in my world, sick. My stepson and I called out the offenders and got some shit throughout the second half for our troubles.
Anyway, too cut a long story short, I can't guarantee that these gobshites won't learn anything from their actions on Saturday, but, they have definatly got some physical reminders. Gutted to be associated with this scum, it's one thing having banter or out singing the opposition, but you don't start on the kids and adults under the Mencap umbrella.

Been sitting on this, wondering whether to bring it up or not. I went to Anfield on Saturday and was disgusted by some idiots standing behind me. I've heard some vile shit spouted at games in the past, home and away, but, what I witnessed at Anfield the other day really left a sour taste.
Anyone that was present would of seen the half time penalty taking comp that happened at half time. It all went off with the usual respect that you would expect from "normal" human beings. Unfortunately it all went shit when a few fuckin scumbags behind me decided to give the particepents shit as they were exiting the sidelines via the Anfield road stand.
Shouting out, "Scouse Spastic Cunts" to a group of mainly U 15s is in my world, sick. My stepson and I called out the offenders and got some shit throughout the second half for our troubles.
Anyway, too cut a long story short, I can't guarantee that these gobshites won't learn anything from their actions on Saturday, but, they have definatly got some physical reminders. Gutted to be associated with this scum, it's one thing having banter or out singing the opposition, but you don't start on the kids and adults under the Mencap umbrella.

I had a similar experience on the train back not long ago.

One particular lad chanting in this poor woman's face who was actually crying and just sat in the foetal position because of how much he is was aggressively shouting in her face. Walked passed and told him to drop
It before helping the women move seats, next thing you know him and his mates giving it the big one with the whole "do you know who I am"..,unfortunately for him I do actually know the people worth knowing.

Disgusting behaviour and the audacity to start on another yid on an away day

Nor really fair in my opinion.....it took to halfway through his third season to introduce 3 at the back, which is arguably our most potent. He discovered how to neutralise chelsea when no one else could.

This to me shows he a manager who learns and adapts.

He cant just pull out a magic formula for every team. We spanked Utd 3-0 at home, and have torn City to pieces on 3 occasions, once away. Regulary outplay Woolwich too, despite the draws that should have been wins.

Cant start saying he is a one trick pony because we havent beaten Liverpool

This is what makes me laugh in the media last few days.... Pochs record against the top 6 is so bad.......
think they forget we were the team to stop the chavs unbeaten run.... :dembelefingers:

Really don't expect that kind of behaviour from our fans, maybe they should just fuck off and join the scum bag spammers or chavs fans where there actions sound like they would Be more suited!
:dembelefingers:

First thing that sprung to mind when this happened on Sat was when Walker told Chadli to go under the wall (can't recall who it was against), he did and we scored. It is very rare to see a free kick taker do that, I actually can't recall another, though I'm sure there are some floating about on youtube.

2nd thought that went through my head was do the dippers have a mole at Spurs? It was Walker again talking to the free kick taker. So, Dippers deploy Cuntinho to kneel down behind a wall, which has never been seen before to prevent a free kick only ever been seen once before by the team who originally did it.
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Didn't they poach some of our coaching or academy staff?

In other news the Guardian are quoting Mane's agent as saying he didnt choose the scousers over us because of money.

Mauricio Pochettino insists Spurs’ challenge merits greater recognition

Okay m8. He went to a club that arent even in Europe let alone the CL and have finished below us 6 out of the last 7 seasons for the arts and culture.

Yeah that's a load of bollocks - his basic is £150k pw at Liverpool, even Kane and Lloris aren't on that after just signing new deals.

I've been to c. 10 away games per season for the last decade and the crowd on Saturday seemed different to the 'normal' away crowd. Slightly older, more aggressive and less humorous.

Didn't they poach some of our coaching or academy staff?

According to the dippers, all our scouts do is tail theirs around Europe gazumping them on deals.

Nothing to do with us recently sharing a director of football and both being in the market for the same level of players.

Back
Top Bottom