Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reading comprehension of a 5-year-old
I read what you posted effortlessly thank you very much, and your point was clear and unambiguous. If you meant to say something else then the fault is yours. Your previous posting history speaks volumes for the inadequacy of your kind of support.
Must try harder.

FAIL

Yes, yes, we all "unconditionally" support Spurs- none of us are going to go adopt another club or anything.
Team plays bad and people have a right to air their feelings- it's called catharsis and it helps people get past negativity and move on. So, why don't you open up a bit and admit that you were disappointed about the performance today? If you think you are going to change anyone's behavior by attempting to denigrate and bully them, I would suggest that you are trying to catch flies with vinegar- a historically unsuccessful practice. But I do appreciate your standing up for the club, of course. That is genuinely admirable.
If someone pushes you once it could be an accident but of they do it repeatedly then it's a deliberate act of annoyance and deserves a reaction.
The analogy was apt though
About flies

Irritating little fuckers that need swatting

I read in a lot of these threads when we lose "lets move on", but the problem I have with that is Poch needs to understand why we lost and where it wrong and how to improve it
When I listen to Poch'es interviews they don't highlight to me that he knows where it went wrong and how to fix it,
we crashed last season because the players lost it in pressure games, what has he done to change that ?
we need a striker last season, so we got a guy who only had 1 good season for £19M, if it was £10M no problem,
we needed a creative player, we got Sissoko & GKN both can't get in the team and with Sissoko costing £30m that just money wasted

I don't get why some people decide to melt instead of supporting the team even more. Last night it was one of the best games I've seen in the recent times in terms of fighting for the win that would put us through. We played well, just lacked the luck to bury one or two of the many chances we've had, but I thought we did well per overall and the players really wanted to win, which is absolutely encouraging. The ref didn't help either, but that's another thing and I don't think it will help if we start blaming someone else. Gent were very good organised defensively and had so much luck last night. Fuck it, I'm sure if we gone through, some people would still complain that we take EL serious and it would kill our fitness late in the season.

Last edited:
I read in a lot of these threads when we lose "lets move on", but the problem I have with that is Poch needs to understand why we lost and where it wrong and how to improve it
When I listen to Poch'es interviews they don't highlight to me that he knows where it went wrong and how to fix it,
we crashed last season because the players lost it in pressure games, what has he done to change that ?
we need a striker last season, so we got a guy who only had 1 good season for £19M, if it was £10M no problem,
we needed a creative player, we got Sissoko & GKN both can't get in the team and with Sissoko costing £30m that just money wasted

He did say why we lost - because we weren't clinical enough in front of goal.

Or do you want him to publicly slate individuals like Sherwood would?

And you not being able to understand is somehow his failing?
We didn't win because our best team, as good as it is, is based on effort and relentless energy
We lack sufficient depth of quality and class to always unpick sides that play like teams like Gent. If they had come to attack and play football they would have lost the tie.

Stop putting so much weight in interviews.

When we lost to United, we went on to win 9 in a row.

Poch obviously learns from losses.

Are none of you gonna credit that 9 match winning run or what?

EDIT - Sorry, 9 wins and 2 draws in 11.

Yeah some good points well made.

There has to be progress when you are not at the summit and the argument remains in relation to are we a better side than last season? Close call I would say but if you exprect progress then the answer is no.

The players we have bought, Wanyama aside have not yet added anything of value and I would say one or two of our players have dipped from last season's high standards.

I think Pochettino may be hoping a solution to how we get to that next level might be found as opposed to expecting it because of the subtle changes he has introduced.

I never thought we would win the Europa. Nor good enough and we simply do not have a big enough all round goal threat. Undoubted in my opinion.

I also believe the Premier League is vastly overrated and that we see the cost of players as always having a direct correlation to how good they really are. Some of the Gent players were pretty good and they played as a team with pride and for people to just expect European teams to roll over is folly.

If Pochettino and the players are learning the lessons. If we can progress to the final of the FA Cup and keep going in the league we can hope that the summer brings in the talent we still need and lack.

Last edited:
Well Poch can't predict Dele putting in a leg breaker, and Kane scoring a header Ibrahimović would have been proud of. Twice Dier made mistakes and we got punished. Twice Eriksen was put through and treaded water, and only five of twenty five odd shots were on target.

There's a theme to all of this and it's a mix of youth, inexperience and the persistence of a manager (though i love him) to play out of form players, poor tactics, and being extremely wasteful in the transfer market.

We will get their in the end, and Poch made the Clubs "project" clear as day again only this week, but with no truly World class players in this squad we will for the foreseeable future be punching well above our weight.

Not blaming poch. Apart from putting dier in defence every week. Down to the players to perform. Even with 10 men we have to be finishing all those chances we had and not defending like that for the second goal. All dier that was. We'd have had extra time or could have found a goal in the last ten mins.

This obsession with top 4 has got to stop. What's the point of qualifying for a european competition, when you do nothing in it. We should be all over the FA cup now
we will soon have 60,000 seats to fill, so we need to be getting into the top 4, yes you can fill them if you don't change top dollar, but we haven't got the stadium on the cheap like west ham, so we need top dollar to pay off the bills

Am I supposed to clap when the team consistently let it's fans down?

No. but you're supposed to consistently get behind your team it's what separates the supporters from the observers. I also think you need to look at yourself as an observer if you think a Spurs team who are in third position and finished in third position last season are consistently letting the fans down, take it from me (a fan) we aren't being let down please don't speak for the fans again.

Back
Top Bottom