Galacticos v the mighty Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Injury prone, inordinate wage demands?

I think we’ve moved on. Using the fit ex analogy, it’s like seeing her a few years later with a few more miles on the clock, a badger like a clown’s pocket & Dyed hair...but still a cracking shag.

Bale is & always was, high maintenance.
A magical player on his day- devastating.
But spends extended periods of time on the treatment table.

And the way he forced his move out of Spurs was fucking rotten.
i don't understand the 'moved on' narrative i keep hearing. Moved on from what exactly? we were a decent team with a superstar when he was here. Now we're a very good team that could do with a superstar or two to take us up a level. Saying we don't want players like Bale is really odd.

as for the analogy - it smacks more of fear, of starting up with an ex because you're scared of getting hurt again.

i don't understand the 'moved on' narrative i keep hearing. Moved on from what exactly? we were a decent team with a superstar when he was here. Now we're a very good team that could do with a superstar or two to take us up a level. Saying we don't want players like Bale is really odd.

as for the analogy - it smacks more of fear, of starting up with an ex because you're scared of getting hurt again.
I think having Bale back would likely cause more harm than good. It would wreck the wage structure because he would demand absurd wages. And whatever you pay him, you have to pay The other top earners.
He spends too much time injured to be relied upon. He was regularly absent for us & that hasn’t improved at Madrid.

We have our own lovelies now without having to think too fondly about an ex. It’s not fear, it’s knowing & appreciating that you’re in a better position now than you were then, & whilst a shag might be tempting, is it worth the risk involved?

It’s pie in the sky anyway. Bale won’t be coming back here. He won’t accept our wages & Levy won’t pay what Bale will expect.

If he goes anywhere, it will be to Citeh, United or the Chavs. They can afford his wages whilst he is nursing a broken fingernail.

Have you not been paying attention the last weeks.

The question must be "who do you drop out of Eriksen and Eriksen".

Any other suggestion means you despise Dele Alli and wont rest until your agenda to have him sold comes off.
Probably more to do with you calling him shit and questioning his mentality and attitude because of a few poor displays

I think having Bale back would likely cause more harm than good. It would wreck the wage structure because he would demand absurd wages. And whatever you pay him, you have to pay The other top earners.
He spends too much time injured to be relied upon. He was regularly absent for us & that hasn’t improved at Madrid.

We have our own lovelies now without having to think too fondly about an ex. It’s not fear, it’s knowing & appreciating that you’re in a better position now than you were then, & whilst a shag might be tempting, is it worth the risk involved?

It’s pie in the sky anyway. Bale won’t be coming back here. He won’t accept our wages & Levy won’t pay what Bale will expect.

If he goes anywhere, it will be to Citeh, United or the Chavs. They can afford his wages whilst he is nursing a broken fingernail.

i don't get a fans obsession with wage structure - we don't have to care about that - what i care about is that the chairman knows what he's doing financially and wont fuck the club up (and he wont). If, and its a massive if, we could afford him and the subsequent wage re-structure, then of course we'd want him. why get this close to becoming a real force then pussy out of taking a slight gamble on a player of that brilliance. smacks of lack of ambition and fear.

Moved on from the days when our team was built around Bale. If you haven't noticed we've improved since his departure. We're now an elite top 4 team. I say team in that we now have players able to step up much more than we did in Bale's time when he became the focus of everything for us. He's 28 and injury prone, will he able to keep up with the punishing training regime set out by Pochettino? I'd much rather we didn't waste our small budget on Gareth Bale and looked at improving our existing players contracts, whilst still developing cheaper and younger talent.

i don't get a fans obsession with wage structure - we don't have to care about that - what i care about is that the chairman knows what he's doing financially and wont fuck the club up (and he wont). If, and its a massive if, we could afford him and the subsequent wage re-structure, then of course we'd want him. why get this close to becoming a real force then pussy out of taking a slight gamble on a player of that brilliance. smacks of lack of ambition and fear.
So why not go for another world class player then? It doesn't have to be Bale to take us to that level.

So why not go for another world class player then? It doesn't have to be Bale to take us to that level.
absolutely. i'm not saying bale and only bale, no one else. but if he was available to us, these reasons being spouted about 'moved on' etc are fucking nonsense.

Moved on from the days when our team was built around Bale. If you haven't noticed we've improved since his departure. We're now an elite top 4 team. I say team in that we now have players able to step up much more than we did in Bale's time when he became the focus of everything for us. He's 28 and injury prone, will he able to keep up with the punishing training regime set out by Pochettino? I'd much rather we didn't waste our small budget on Gareth Bale and looked at improving our existing players contracts, whilst still developing cheaper and younger talent.

firstly, don't be churlish- no need.
secondly - absolutely we've improved, but what? -that means we're too good for a world class player of that experience and ability? we're good, but lets not be so arrogant as to think we're beyond him.

injuries - sure, that's the risk, but the rest of the reasoning i'm hearing on here today is just odd.

absolutely. i'm not saying bale and only bale, no one else. but if he was available to us, these reasons being spouted about 'moved on' etc are fucking nonsense.

Just remember how he disrupted our preparation for the season by going on strike. We don’t need an ego like that in our squad. Especially on the money he would command. Harry Kane is now our elite named player. We have moved on.

Just remember how he disrupted our preparation for the season by going on strike. We don’t need an ego like that in our squad. Especially on the money he would command. Harry Kane is now our elite named player. We have moved on.

i honestly don't care about that. to me that was more about his desire to improve and achieve- should he have gone about it differently - sure, does that make him an egomaniac, of course not - there's never been so much as a a whisper at any other point in his career at any club or for wales that he's arrogant, or in any way disruptive.

Yep. All that shit isn’t easily forgotten. Considering how much he supposedly loved AVB, he didn’t bat an eyelid about going on strike to force a move.
We have improved as a club without him & have a real togetherness in the squad.
Fuck him. He made his bed, let him have his boos at RM.

is 'moved on' the throwaway comment of the fucking week or something?
Moved on. The club has moved on. It is better & stronger than it was with Gareth Bale. Second consecutive stint in CL. Third & runners up in last 2 PL seasons. If you want to go back in the hope of former glories of a single player, knock yourself out. I’m looking forward, not back. And I don’t want an injury prone, expensive diva in the team.

Yep. All that shit isn’t easily forgotten. Considering how much he supposedly loved AVB, he didn’t bat an eyelid about going on strike to force a move.
We have improved as a club without him & have a real togetherness in the squad.
Fuck him. He made his bed, let him have his boos at RM.
yep, i can see it now - bale comes back, and smacks in his first goal in in front of 61000 at the new lane, 60999 fans erupt, and you're stood there, all obstinate.

Moved on. The club has moved on. It is better & stronger than it was with Gareth Bale. Second consecutive stint in CL. Third & runners up in last 2 PL seasons. If you want to go back in the hope of former glories of a single player, knock yourself out. I’m looking forward, not back. And I don’t want an injury prone, expensive diva in the team.
who says its about capturing former glories- no one wants to see an average team being carried by a bale - i'm saying why not have both - a quality young team with bale complimenting it, not dominating it.

Have you not been paying attention the last weeks.

The question must be "who do you drop out of Eriksen and Eriksen".

Any other suggestion means you despise Dele Alli and wont rest until your agenda to have him sold comes off.

Boooooooooring!!!!!!!!!

is 'moved on' the throwaway comment of the fucking week or something?

I’m still high on us going to the Bernabeu and showing we belong. Bale yet again injured, what is the point of signing a ‘star’ player who cannot stay fit enough to play in those important matches. By all means sign an Isco or someone, Bale is in our past and certainly not one for our future.

I’m still high on us going to the Bernabeu and showing we belong. Bale yet again injured, what is the point of signing a ‘star’ player who cannot stay fit enough to play in those important matches. By all means sign an Isco or someone, Bale is in our past and certainly not one for our future.
yep, that's a genuine risk, of course - i'm not saying its not - but for me this is the only risk, the rest of it takes care of itself.

put it this way - if he hadn't played for us before we'd be only talking about the injury concern - well what has his previously spell with us got to do with a future spell? its just all a bit specious to me.

Back
Top Bottom