Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I completely disagree with this kind of philosophy Mrs P
Its kinda saying we should just accept our status as a selling club instead of striving to be the best. And it sends the wrong message to Harry and the rest.
However you seem such a nice lady I cant bring myself to ever add a x to your post's
:dierpochhug:

edit...so what i have decided is that from now on, if I disagree with you, im going to find a random cretinousgoat cretinousgoat post and disagree with that instead
I agree with you to a point, but the reality is that apart from Barcelona, Madrid, PSG and Manchester City, all clubs are vulnerable to having their best players poached. Once a player's head is turned, it is hard to get them back on track, and I suppose I'm still naive enough to think that playing for Spurs should be enough. And I appreciate that you don't rate my post with an 'x'......I would have to send in the heavies if you did.:levystare:

Perrsonally, I'd rather Toby stayed for 2.5 years then left for nothing, than be sold in the summer for whatever fee he commands.

I get what you mean because hearing things like Modric's contract would have only ran out recently does make one wonder.

But it is unchartered territory to keep a player who doesn't want to go for more than a season. What if they refuse to play etc.

Also it could send a bad message to prospective signings which would be counterproductive.

Maybe he'd just get on with it maybe not.

I agree with you to a point, but the reality is that apart from Barcelona, Madrid, PSG and Manchester City, all clubs are vulnerable to having their best players poached. Once a player's head is turned, it is hard to get them back on track, and I suppose I'm still naive enough to think that playing for Spurs should be enough. And I appreciate that you don't rate my post with an 'x'......I would have to send in the heavies if you did.:levystare:
Great post. You're definately not niave though just a great supporter. I sometimes wish I could share your sentiments tbh.
I want to give you a like and a funny, but as I cant give both, I wont give either of them.
Actually, I'll give it like
:adethumbup:

Even then their best still get poached. Luis Figo went from Barcelona to Real. Zidane went from Juve to Real. Neymar went from Barca to PSG.

This whole facade that we're a selling club is nonsense. We've sold one genuine 1st team player in 4 and a half years (Kyle Walker for far more than he's worth) since Gareth Bale. In that time Luis Suarez has left Liverpool, Paul Pogba has left Juventus, Neymar has left Barcelona, Angel Di Maria has left Real Madrid and Manchester United, Raheem Sterling has left Liverpool, Diego Costa has left Chelsea, David Luiz has left Chelsea and PSG, Juan Mata has left Chelsea.

If we're a selling club, having sold Kyle Walker then so are all those clubs named there.

Basically people use this selling club nonsense to push their agendas not based on fact or reality but on vendettas.

We do live in a post-truth world these days though.

Unless we have owners prepared to pay silly wages such as City et al then anybody who decides they want to earn more is a risk of leaving the club.

Reality is he’s a typical ENIC buy, relatively undervalued and then given a contract that needs improvement to reflect his value to us now.

But he’s also quite old so I can’t imagine a 5 year deal is on the table - which is probably causing the delay as that means a shorter contract = much higher wages to make it worth his while.

Couldnt care less if he signs or not, contracts mean nothing. When a player wants out, they leave.

Oh look at Liverpool they kept Coutinho......for 4 months. Same with Southampton and Van Dyke.....same with Modric. We got one season of a 6 year contract...look at Walker, we got half a season of his five years.

If they want out, they will leave, so I won't feel any relief if Toby signs, and I don't care if he doesn't.

I care as he’s a quality player and I haven’t read anywhere him saying he wants out!

Perhaps he’s fully concentrating on returning from injury, is happy with Poch as his manager, being part of our team and the contract will be resolved in the Summer

I care as he’s a quality player and I haven’t read anywhere him saying he wants out!

Perhaps he’s fully concentrating on returning from injury, is happy with Poch as his manager, being part of our team and the contract will be resolved in the Summer

I want him to stay too, but signing a contract doesnt mean he will, so it will give absolutely zero relief to see him with Pochs arm around him announcing a 5yr extension

The only advantage to having a player under contract is that we can get more money for him if he wants to leave.

If he doesn’t sign soon, his value will begin to drop, so signing him up again makes fiscal sense. However, as has been pointed out by others, he’s not any more likely to remain at the club.

Even then their best still get poached. Luis Figo went from Barcelona to Real. Zidane went from Juve to Real. Neymar went from Barca to PSG.

This whole facade that we're a selling club is nonsense. We've sold one genuine 1st team player in 4 and a half years (Kyle Walker for far more than he's worth) since Gareth Bale. In that time Luis Suarez has left Liverpool, Paul Pogba has left Juventus, Neymar has left Barcelona, Angel Di Maria has left Real Madrid and Manchester United, Raheem Sterling has left Liverpool, Diego Costa has left Chelsea, David Luiz has left Chelsea and PSG, Juan Mata has left Chelsea.

If we're a selling club, having sold Kyle Walker then so are all those clubs named there.

Basically people use this selling club nonsense to push their agendas not based on fact or reality but on vendettas.

Fuck off with commonsensical approach and actual data. There’s a narrative going on here and we can’t have the facts distort it

Spot on! I hate the term “selling club” with a passion because it means fuck all. I’ve never once seen a pundit or media outlet call Liverpool a selling club for instance yet they’ve sold Torres to Chelsea, Sterling to City and Suarez to Barca just to name a few. It’s a totally agenda driven term.

They’ll spend months pushing the agenda of selling off our best player saying “they have to move to a bigger club” etc and then when one finally does they criticise the club for being a “selling club”.

Levy is constantly criticised for selling for profit instead of keeping players yet we haven’t sold one high profile player that didn’t force the move. If Carrick, Berba, Modric or Bale wanted to stay then we wouldn’t have sold. All 4 (well at least the last 3 agitated for their moves after being kept a year longer than they probably wanted).

Every club sells. If there’s more money being offered by another club then no club can resist a Players head being turned. Neymar proving that point at the highest level.

The problem we have is we are turning good prospects into elite players but don’t have the financial claught to pay elite wages.

Spot on! I hate the term “selling club” with a passion because it means fuck all. I’ve never once seen a pundit or media outlet call Liverpool a selling club for instance yet they’ve sold Torres to Chelsea, Sterling to City and Suarez to Barca just to name a few. It’s a totally agenda driven term.

They’ll spend months pushing the agenda of selling off our best player saying “they have to move to a bigger club” etc and then when one finally does they criticise the club for being a “selling club”.

Levy is constantly criticised for selling for profit instead of keeping players yet we haven’t sold one high profile player that didn’t force the move. If Carrick, Berba, Modric or Bale wanted to stay then we wouldn’t have sold. All 4 (well at least the last 3 agitated for their moves after being kept a year longer than they probably wanted).

Every club sells. If there’s more money being offered by another club then no club can resist a Players head being turned. Neymar proving that point at the highest level.

The problem we have is we are turning good prospects into elite players but don’t have the financial claught to pay elite wages.

You are both right of course and within that you have clubs who generate insane levels of income, tradition (3/4 clubs) and then clubs who have backers with well-like pockets. And then a few clubs like us, who can attract 90% of the best talent but can only keep 90% of it as well.

Add to it to fact that football is a money making machine (at least for now) and has near toothless regulation, then and as I have said before we have a 2 years cycle in order to win things or run the risk of poachers, dissension or contract expiry.

But equally whilst we continue to find and develop quality we maintain in-house financial stability but have to accept fan frustration and the double barrelled misnomer of selling club.

Will the new stadium and 60 thousand fans worth of revenue change that? No idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom