Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lamela must be the most perplexing player at the club.

Pretty much signed as our Bale replacement, I think we all looked at the hype around his time at Roma and thought we were getting the next big thing.

Then we got a long injury layoff.

Then we got glimpses of a great player, with a wild rabona thrown in.

Then he became a very important part of our team, pressing and providing inventive passes, as well as chipping in with important goals. He wasn’t a world beater, but he was a very useful member of the squad. A much better Chadli, if you will.

Then he had a very lengthy injury and many forgot all of the above, and started thinking he was a waste of space.

I think he’s a useful player who has a bit of a job on his hands to secure a first-team place, especially with Lucas Moura in the team. Very interested in seeing how things pan out with him, as I tend to think of him as Pochettino’s avatar on the pitch.

Lamela must be the most perplexing player at the club.

Pretty much signed as our Bale replacement, I think we all looked at the hype around his time at Roma and thought we were getting the next big thing.

Then we got a long injury layoff.

Then we got glimpses of a great player, with a wild rabona thrown in.

Then he became a very important part of our team, pressing and providing inventive passes, as well as chipping in with important goals. He wasn’t a world beater, but he was a very useful member of the squad. A much better Chadli, if you will.

Then he had a very lengthy injury and many forgot all of the above, and started thinking he was a waste of space.

I think he’s a useful player who has a bit of a job on his hands to secure a first-team place, especially with Lucas Moura in the team. Very interested in seeing how things pan out with him, as I tend to think of him as Pochettino’s avatar on the pitch.

In a Q & A today, Son named him the most technically skilful player in the team, which is quite an accolade in this team. Not your everyday type of footballer thats for sure.

Last edited:
In a Q & A today, Son named him the most technically skilful player in the team, which is quite an accolade in this team. Not your everyday type of footballer thats for sure.

He's the sort of player that can make other players look silly while he's standing still. I remember seeing him standing on the ball surveying the pitch against Colombia, player came charging in like a bull and he just nutmegged him and sent the poor lad flying.

DVCnOsQX4AABvk_.jpg

He is back:
Champions League destroyer!

Lamela in the champions league squad....well, whaddayaknow NW1Spur NW1Spur

It's just to pump up his value ahead of a summer sale though. :pochbye:

You say that in jest but these are direct quotes from Poch: "But that is not only my decision. It is a club decision, with the chairman, the administration and with the chief scout. It was a club decision,"

"But you know it was Lamela in the first part of the Champions League. Now we cannot put all in there, because we struggle a little bit with the list because that situation is the reality. We don't have space for everyone."

"Like I told you, Lucas was an opportunity in the end, on the last day of the transfer market. We knew that if you bring in a player on the last day we knew that we didn't have the space then for some player. Yes it's very painful but I think Juan, when we signed him, we believed in him like a future, potential top player and of course he's going to play how he's playing in the FA Cup, different games and we are so happy with his evolution. Of course it's not a big deal this situation and of course he understands."

"But for me it's very painful because that situation happened and it looks like we don't have a plan you know. But I told you as a club at the moment we sign opportunities and this was a great opportunity for us but in the same way you need to take a very painful decision."

Poch claims 'painful' choice to drop Juan Foyth wasn't just his decision

So from reading that it sounds like it was a straight choice between Foyth and Lamela, the Head Scout and Poch wanting Foyth in and Levy and the "administration" (the money men) wanting Lamela in, as it would reduce his transfer value if he were ommitted (case in point being Moura) and the reality is that neither will probably play much so putting Lamela in made better financial sense. It wasn't a football decision because there's too many players ahead of both.

SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur Made the donation, no. #1017-9544

Last edited:
You say that in jest but these are direct quotes from Poch: "But that is not only my decision. It is a club decision, with the chairman, the administration and with the chief scout. It was a club decision,"

"But you know it was Lamela in the first part of the Champions League. Now we cannot put all in there, because we struggle a little bit with the list because that situation is the reality. We don't have space for everyone."

"Like I told you, Lucas was an opportunity in the end, on the last day of the transfer market. We knew that if you bring in a player on the last day we knew that we didn't have the space then for some player. Yes it's very painful but I think Juan, when we signed him, we believed in him like a future, potential top player and of course he's going to play how he's playing in the FA Cup, different games and we are so happy with his evolution. Of course it's not a big deal this situation and of course he understands."

"But for me it's very painful because that situation happened and it looks like we don't have a plan you know. But I told you as a club at the moment we sign opportunities and this was a great opportunity for us but in the same way you need to take a very painful decision."

So from reading that it sounds like it was a straight choice between Foyth and Lamela, the Head Scout and Poch wanting Foyth in and Levy and the "administration" (the money men) wanting Lamela in, as it would reduce his transfer value if he were ommitted (case in point being Moura) and the reality is that neither will probably pay much so putting Lamela in made better financial sense. It wasn't a football decision because there's too many players ahead of both.

"Like I told you, Lucas was an opportunity in the end, on the last day of the transfer market. We knew that if you bring in a player on the last day we knew that we didn't have the space then for some player.

He was clearly talking about putting Moura in there??? Someone who just joined and has hardly played this season.

Not Lamela who was in there to replace Nkoudou........who basically took his spot.
Remember him??

Are you on drugs????? Or just a bit simple??? Why the Lamela hate?? Lol

screen_shot_2016-03-17_at_16.18.32.png

"Like I told you, Lucas was an opportunity in the end, on the last day of the transfer market. We knew that if you bring in a player on the last day we knew that we didn't have the space then for some player.

He was clearly talking about putting Moura in there??? Someone who just joined and has hardly played this season.

Not Lamela who was in there to replace Nkoudou........who basically took his spot.
Remember him??

Not sure what you mean. Moura obviously took GKNs spot. The "painful" decision clearly revolved around retaining Foyth in the squad or bringing Lamela into it, who had been ommitted from the Group Stage squad even though he was on course to be fit for the latter games. There was clearly a very high up meeting about it, and Poch found the outcome "painful".

Remember him??

That Dime bar picture is jokes. Haha Harry Enfields face

So from reading that it sounds like it was a straight choice between Foyth and Lamela, the Head Scout and Poch wanting Foyth in and Levy and the "administration" (the money men) wanting Lamela in, as it would reduce his transfer value if he were ommitted (case in point being Moura) and the reality is that neither will probably play much so putting Lamela in made better financial sense. It wasn't a football decision because there's too many players ahead of both.

Jesus, the contortions you will go through to avoid saying you were wrong. He literally framed every word about the regret at having to drop Foyth in the context of having signed Moura - the only mention of Lamela being that it was Lamela in the group stages that was left out.

You're bordering on Trump territory with these alternative facts. Maybe you'll finally admit that Lamela isn't leaving by the time his testimonial rolls around. :pocheyes:

Not sure what you mean. Moura obviously took GKNs spot. The "painful" decision clearly revolved around retaining Foyth in the squad or bringing Lamela into it, who had been ommitted from the Group Stage squad even though he was on course to be fit for the latter games. There was clearly a very high up meeting about it, and Poch found the outcome "painful".

You're a nutjob.

No idea how to link the video or even find it on YouTube, but Erik Lamela and West Ham's Mikael Antonio did some promo work for EAs UFC 3. Fun video and great to see Lamela doing some promo work.

However he lost, and this is unacceptable. Sell now. :pocheyes:

Jesus, the contortions you will go through to avoid saying you were wrong. He literally framed every word about the regret at having to drop Foyth in the context of having signed Moura - the only mention of Lamela being that it was Lamela in the group stages that was left out.

You're bordering on Trump territory with these alternative facts. Maybe you'll finally admit that Lamela isn't leaving by the time his testimonial rolls around. :pocheyes:

Ok, and maybe when Lamela doesn't start against Liverpool, Woolwich or Juventus, on top of not starting against Man Utd, you'll stop telling us that "Poch always picks Lamela when fit", which is clearly not the case - he's been back in training for 3 months and only started 2 league games, subbed off in both. And when he signs a new contract, then he'll no longer be the only player at the club that Poch has not given a new contract to, then you'll have something to poke me in the eye with. Or if he displaces any of the players ahead of him, which is currently Eriksen, Son, Alli, Sissoko and now Lucas Moura.

I'm gonna avoid referencing Lamela from now on because he's not really doing anything worthy of talking about and it's just the same old arguments and Lamela isn't going to play enough to even have a debate about, but that won't stop the same old posters telling us how skillful he is, the most skillful player at the club apparently, how he's Poch's main man and his embodiment on the pitch. How he's the only player who can spot a pass, blah, blah, blah.

I'm gonna avoid referencing Lamela from now on because he's not really doing anything worthy of talking about and it's just the same old arguments and Lamela isn't going to play enough to even have a debate about, but that won't stop the same old posters telling us how skillful he is, the most skillful player at the club apparently, how he's Poch's main man and his embodiment on the pitch. How he's the only player who can spot a pass, blah, blah, blah.
Great news that you are going to avoid referencing Lamela from now on.

If you could avoid posting completely, that would be great too.

Ok, and maybe when Lamela doesn't start against Liverpool, Woolwich or Juventus, on top of not starting against Man Utd, you'll stop telling us that "Poch always picks Lamela when fit", which is clearly not the case - he's been back in training for 3 months and only started 2 league games, subbed off in both. And when he signs a new contract, then he'll no longer be the only player at the club that Poch has not given a new contract to, then you'll have something to poke me in the eye with. Or if he displaces any of the players ahead of him, which is currently Eriksen, Son, Alli, Sissoko and now Lucas Moura.

It’s quite possible we may sell him in the summer, but it’s difficult to agree with you that Foyth is better placed than Lamela at this moment in time to take up that last spot in CL knockout phase. Foyths time will undoubtably come.

Back
Top Bottom