Modric: "I'm sorry for the way I left..."

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now, now. That's not what you said. You said...

I'm just refuting your argument with the facts. Don't change your tune now. Just hold your hands up.

Oh, apart from the obvious example. That doesn't count no?

There's alot of things Poch hadn't done before, he's a young manager. He's not going to do the same things now for the rest of his career. He'll evolve. You think Sir Alex Ferguson did the same things at 45 he did at 65?

I think the option of getting one of the best players in the world may sway him to consider something new.

Trying to dismiss Modric as a Harry signing equivalent of Pienaar, Saha and Nelsen is a bit silly.

Do you automatically become a Harry signing when you hit 30?

Lionel Messi is fucked.

I'm saying if we bought Modric, Poch would develop a suitable plan for him whenever he felt like using him. Just like he did with Sanchez. Having more strings to your bow is a good thing. Don't be so scared of change. Poch changed a winning formation from last year just this season, so he's shown he'll adapt and evolve.

Not just lesser known Arc, but lesser quality. Those players you mentioned are not at Luka Modric's level. Nor would they be in the next ''2-3 years min''. I think Winks is a better option than all of them anyway.
I think it’s pointless debating this further if you continuously ignore certain points or questions posed. Point stands that this signing does not align with our long term strategy or Poch’s philosophy

In fact I’m willing to bet right here that should Modric leave next summer he will not come to sit on our bench but would opt for a massive pay cheque elsewhere.

Bench? Again, he'd replace Sissoko, who has 20 starts this season. Not the next Winks or Dele. Fyi, Winks and Dele are the next Winks and Dele. Their heirs like Oliver Skipp and TAB aren't going to be in the 1st team squad for at least 2 seasons, so no Modric wouldn't be keeping them out.

My ignorance?

You named Pulisic, a winger/wing back as a better option than Luka Modric at CM for Spurs.
You named Naby Keita, a guy who has already signed for Liverpool and will join in July as a better option than Luka Modric at CM for Spurs.
You named Chochev playing in Serie B as a better option than Luka Modric at CM for Spurs.
You named Cebalos, a Real golden boy and their future at CM as a better option at CM for Spurs.
You named Carlos Soler, who's played RM all year as a better option at CM for Spurs.

You then said we changed formation and started Sanchez due to injury. Provably false.

My ignorance indeed.
You mentioned 3 AMs in his position earlier, steady on now. All those 'unknown' players are better prospects since we don’t buy superstars and won’t be any time soon. Did you make the same comments about lesser know Modric from the Croatian League back then? Or Berbatov who wasn’t even the best striker in the Bundesliga at the time? Or Dele from League 1?

Last edited:
David Guetta wannabe can fuck off.
Not arsed how good he is/was/could be any more. He genuinely behaved with zero class towards us as soon as he’d made his name.
Bloke’s a fucking guttersnipe.

So, a fair number on here dislike the man a great deal.

Would you go for winning the title with him, or finishing second without him? How far does the hatred go?

I’d go with, by the way.

I think having Modric back would bring much needed experience into the squad, how many trophies has Modric won. If was one of gteatesy players in the past 10 years pre Poch, and if he did come back to help the squad and team whats wrong with that.

So what if he wanted to leave, he was far too good for us and earnt the right to play for Real Madrid.

I would welcome him back, all day long of it improves us and makes this team win trophies.

Say what you like about this guy, but arguably the greatest player Tottenham had in modern times.
People say that, and maybe it's something I'm missing. But when we had Modric and Bale, I felt we were much more likely to win games when Modric was out compared to when Bale was out. It would be interesting to see points per game ratios. Similarly now, I would rather have current-day Kane than Modric (at his peak).

Maybe there's just a difference between being the most effective player and one who is more technically gifted, or maybe I was seeing it all wrong.

I think having Modric back would bring much needed experience into the squad, how many trophies has Modric won. If was one of gteatesy players in the past 10 years pre Poch, and if he did come back to help the squad and team whats wrong with that.

So what if he wanted to leave, he was far too good for us and earnt the right to play for Real Madrid.

I would welcome him back, all day long of it improves us and makes this team win trophies.
When he played for us most of the current team was aged 14-19 years old. He is probably one of their biggest football heroes growing up.
If he got a 2 year contract in the summer, and trained every day with Winks, we would have a great player and also develop the natural successor for when he left.

When he played for us most of the current team was aged 14-19 years old. He is probably one of their biggest football heroes growing up.
If he got a 2 year contract in the summer, and trained every day with Winks, we would have a great player and also develop the natural successor for when he left.
A bit like Naybet or Davids.

You mentioned 3 AMs in his position earlier, steady on now. All those 'unknown' players are better prospects since we don’t buy superstars and won’t be any time soon. Did you make the same comments about lesser know Modric from the Croatian League back then? Or Berbatov who wasn’t even the best striker in the Bundesliga at the time? Or Dele from League 1?
3 AMs that have played CM before. When has Pulisic ever played CM?

No I didn't make the same comments because it's not the same conversation of simply rating a single player but comparing to their world class counterpart. But I would have done if we were comparing them to the best players of their position at the time, Andres Iniesta or Fran Totti say.

Anyway, it's Friday and for once we've had a civilised (for us) debate about a relevant topic. We'll only be going round in circles. I'd take Modric, you'd rather see a prospect. That's fine and both have upsides. Now let's get down the pub. Works finished.

Honestly, he did just what Sheringham did (who seems happy to play for any club) or Klinsmann, or Berbatov or many others afterwards have done... he was naive with the Chelsea thing, but got stuck in when that didn't happen and always gave the club 100%. He'd be amazing in our current team, as an alternative to Eriksen, being that keystone player that just makes a team tick. Love a bit of Luka. And he's consistently spoken very favourably of the club and fans since he left, unlike the total silence and near complete disrespect of Bale.

Teddy wanted to stay, he asked Sugar for a longer contract than the one that was offered, i think he wanted 5 years. Since that time i've heard Teddy say he left because of lack of spending but on top players, Sugar wouldn't pay for Ince blah blah, but at the time it was about not being offered the longer contract.

Back
Top Bottom