Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone just feel incredibly deflated this morning?

Just terribly frustrating that we keep dominating big cup games (Juve in both legs, Chelsea semi final etc) yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

How many years pass before we stop blaming lack of experience?
Its a lack of experience when compared to the opposition we are up against (in both your examples).

We played well enough to go through but we didnt finish our chances. A cruel game but thats how it goes.

Genuinely haven't felt like this after a game for a long, long time - felt sick after the final whistle and could hardly sleep, my head was just buzzing with "what if's" and complete denial of the result.

I'm so, so proud of this team & what it has achieved but, at some point, this mentality of 'not enough experience to see out a game' has to be fucking eradicated - whether it's from the manager down or the players up; it feels like we've already played plenty of 'big games' with this core team and it's like groundhog day each and every time.

It's the hope that kills you...

Managed to see the game and it was very good beyond the result. I think Spurs played two great legs, but showed lack of experience especially by his coach.
On the pitch for about 50-60 minutes Spurs were fantastic, but tactically the approach was naive. There was no need especially after scoring to raise the tempo and play for a second goal exposing the weakest link that as anticipated was the defense.

Juve has done the game they could and wanted to do. The team is not at peak form due to its many injuries but used the experience to stay in the game and then win it when Tottenham inevitably got a bit tired thanks to a couple of subs that changed the setup to a 4231 which immediately unsettled you. Allegri read well the match as usual but at the start he made a major mistake putting Barzagli a great aging central defender as RB on Son who murdered us. We were lucky not to concede more goals.
Anyway I know for you it is disappointing but I am sure that if you manage to keep this team, with experience it will become super, it is just a matter of a little more time. I knew it was a tough tie but not this tough despite all the difficulties I have never seen our defense tested so much except in the lost CL finals with Barca and Real, good luck with the FA cup
The after halftime assault experience or the rolling on the floor cluctching my crotch (looking at you Chiellini) experience. We lost a game of football, happens, if the officials had any bottle Juve would have had a penalty and Spurs would have played against 9 men.

I don’t believe we were tired just frustrated as you Dele’s face indicated in the 2nd half him Kane and Son were kicked from pillar to post with little action taken, Alli goes for a ball and is penalised despite his opponents being the same height as his.

The subs impacted but only due to us switching off, and even after the goals all the last ditch stuff was from Juve. Kane effort hit the inside of the post ran along the line but didn’t go in, that’s just bad luck no technical masterclass.

We came up short where we always do when we play a team that’s more or less camped around their box hoping for a break, Burnley, Swansea and now Juventus.

One thing we are yet to learn but need to sharpish is how to close out a game. You may hate him but Mourinho would have shut up shop very effectively at 1-0, just like Allegri did at at 1-2.

When people talk about our naivety/inexperience, that's what they mean

I'd rather lose than watch us Jose our way to the final. Shit football.

Rowe's Push n Run and Rinus Michaels didn't follow the norm, especially if it meant making the fans want to stick their head in the oven by half time.

We will do our way, Pochs way, not Jose's not Juve's or anyone else's.

The Tottenham Way or no way at all

Being naive is a mental weakness in some ways, no?

The players switch off. They stopped focusing. Different types of mental weakness.

Other than that I think your analysis of the game was spot on. Poch didn't react. Naive management and tactics in the 2nd half. Lack of focus. And so it costs us dearly.
Maybe it is in some ways but my main point in any case is that it isn’t “bottling” it. Bottling suggests a level of being scared or playing with fear.

Last edited:
Walking back to Wembley Park station last night I heard more than a few people say, it’s not to bad as we weren’t going to win the CL anyway, am I the only one that thinks we could have won it?
I’m genuinely interested if you are of a simmilar Mindset, did you really think we had no chance of winning, or is this just a way for you to cope with the loss?
As I’m gutted, I believed after the group of death, and the 1st leg against Juve we could go all the way, and at half time 1 nil up could taste the victory, it was in our palms, only to snatched away by a sloppy few minutes! I’m gutted! I feel empty, but we need to move on as Sunday 3 points is a must, as next year we want to be right back in the CL, but if you don’t think we will ever win It , what’s the point?
I don't think we could win it, for me we lack that mental thing to get us over the winning line, I don't think Poch thinks about how to counter the other team, maybe we just need to get one or two players who can get the others to believe
look at how Cantona transformed Man U, Cantona wasn't a big name before he went to them, don't even think Furgie even thought he was the last piece of jigsaw, but he proved to be just that
that is what we need that one person that gets everyone to believe

We lost a game we were in control of, Poch made some mistakes, the players made some mistakes. You can analyse the game and feel disappointed, that’s fine. But we just played juventus in a European cup knockout game. I remember watching us play Wimbledon at selhurst Park in a relegation 6 pointer. I would have killed for nights like this back then. Enjoy it, tomorrow is a new day. COYS

Exactly this.

I'm devastated by last nights result but putting it in perspective, we're still in bloody good shape and these really are good times to be a Spurs supporter.

COYS

Such a shame we switched off and did not adjust to their formation change, those 10 minutes cost us.

Could not fault the effort last night but I was so frustrated seeing us knocking the ball around on the half way line with a few minutes to go when it should have just been lumped up to their box.

Son was our best player last night, shame the ref did nothing to protect him. Fair play to juventus but that animal that stamped on Son should be banned, I bet if delle was doing that the media outcry would be very different......

I'd rather lose than watch us Jose our way to the final. Shit football.

Rowe's Push n Run and Rinus Michaels didn't follow the norm, especially if it meant making the fans want to stick their head in the oven by half time.

We will do our way, Pochs way, not Jose's not Juve's or anyone else's.

The Tottenham Way or no way at all
I understand you don't want to see Jose or 1-nil to the gooners football, but without that 1 superstar (messi or Ronaldo type) I can't see how we can ever win the big ones, and we need to win the big one to keep and attract the top players

You're meaningless
What's the point in the FA cup?

I remember one year Man U couldn't even be bothered attending because they had a commercial opportunity elsewhere. The FA were so toothless they didn't even do anything about that. The lack of consequence for Man U's absence that year meant the death of the FA Cup. It's no more important than the League Cup, or the fucken Kirin Cup

The after halftime assault experience or the rolling on the floor cluctching my crotch (looking at you Chiellini) experience. We lost a game of football, happens, if the officials had any bottle Juve would have had a penalty and Spurs would have played against 9 men.

I don’t believe we were tired just frustrated as you Dele’s face indicated in the 2nd half him Kane and Son were kicked from pillar to post with little action taken, Alli goes for a ball and is penalised despite his opponents being the same height as his.

The subs impacted but only due to us switching off, and even after the goals all the last ditch stuff was from Juve. Kane effort hit the inside of the post ran along the line but didn’t go in, that’s just bad luck no technical masterclass.

We came up short where we always do when we play a team that’s more or less camped around their box hoping for a break, Burnley, Swansea and now Juventus.
This is the bit that pisses me off. Everyone bangs on about experience and tactical wareness, and how we should have protected what we had, yada yada yada
Juventus looked absolute pony apart from a 3 minute spell and a few electric sprints from Billy Whizz. They systematically fouled, niggled and cheated their way through the game and the officials were seemingly the only people in the stadium that couldn't see that the team that were once convicted of match fixing were cheating and fouling consistently.
What the hell is wrong with putting 11 players on the pitch who want to do what the game is all about, score goals, use skill and play good football until the final whistle?
Now the mark of excellence seems to be to defend in depth, throw a few sneaky punches, con the ref and physically try to lay waste to the opposition. And then people laud it, like it was a great way to conduct yourself.

How did the gorilla who was riverdancing on Son get to stay on the pitch? Do EUFA do retrospective bans?

Walking back to Wembley Park station last night I heard more than a few people say, it’s not to bad as we weren’t going to win the CL anyway, am I the only one that thinks we could have won it?
I’m genuinely interested if you are of a simmilar Mindset, did you really think we had no chance of winning, or is this just a way for you to cope with the loss?
As I’m gutted, I believed after the group of death, and the 1st leg against Juve we could go all the way, and at half time 1 nil up could taste the victory, it was in our palms, only to snatched away by a sloppy few minutes! I’m gutted! I feel empty, but we need to move on as Sunday 3 points is a must, as next year we want to be right back in the CL, but if you don’t think we will ever win It , what’s the point?
We would have had a very hard time beating, most likely, 2 out of Barca, Bayern and City. It's nice to dream, but experience at this level, as we learned last night, is paramount. City are just getting to that stage, give us a couple of years, we'll be the hipsters' tip.

Look at PSG v Barca last season, and against Real this one. Champions League is just a completely different level of football. Every team at this stage is a monster.

My point is purely about knowing the dark arts required to close the game out, in all other matters Mourinho can fellate my Yiddisher schmeckel

:levywhoa:
Those ‘dark arts’ are what we get pilloried day after day for. If Tottenham Hotspur had engaged in any of that constant shirt pulling, the ongoing assaults that Kane and Alli or the stamping on Son we’d have been torn apart in the media and not held up as ones with a will to win, just nasty so and so’s

It's easy to say now Poch needed to switch formation, but we were so dominant, I gave 1% chance to Juve at the moment. In the 1st half they shoot 3 times on the goal, and had no real chances. In the 2nd everything was the same really.

Bigger problem is that we're not clinical enough, we had so many chances, expecially Son, but we couldn't score.

What's the point in the FA cup?

I remember one year Man U couldn't even be bothered attending because they had a commercial opportunity elsewhere. The FA were so toothless they didn't even do anything about that. The lack of consequence for Man U's absence that year meant the death of the FA Cup. It's no more important than the League Cup, or the fucken Kirin Cup
whats the point of you?
just go somewhere else, for everyones sake.

every day you become more and more like audere, and just as unpalatable and offensive.

We would have had a very hard time beating, most likely, 2 out of Barca, Bayern and City. It's nice to dream, but experience at this level, as we learned last night, is paramount. City are just getting to that stage, give us a couple of years, we'll be the hipsters' tip.

Look at PSG v Barca last season, and against Real this one. Champions League is just a completely different level of football. Every team at this stage is a monster.

Yeah, look at the bright side. Juve kicked out Barca last year with 3:0 in 2 matches. PSG spend 400M on 2 players and still couldn't pass 1/8 finals.

Chelsea will be knocked-out, maybe United too. City got really easy draw, and they were shite in the CL for most of the years.

I'm disappointed with the lack of concentration and professionalism they showed during the second half.

The back heel flicks, the show boating, the constant attacking despite the fact we didn't need to. I wish Poch had brought on Rose for Dele and moved Davies into a back 5. Or Wanyama on for Eriksen, moved Dier into a back 5. I wish we had just been negative and tried to see out the game, rather than pushing up to the half way line when we're already winning.

Not every game needs to be gung ho. Not every game needs to be pretty. I just don't get the defence pushing up so high at that point in the game. Keep it at 1-0 until the 75th minute and we're almost guaranteed to go through.

We need to learn to be Italian. Time waste. Go down. Keep the ball. Run it into the corner. Bring on more defensive players once winning. We did none of this. And yes, I know it isn't "The Spurs way", but the Spurs way has brought us fuck all Glory in the past decade and that's not the Spurs way either. I think Mourinho is a dickhead and his football terrible, but I would have enjoyed having him as our manager for the last 30 as I think we would have seen the game out.

Poch needs to react far more with his subs - something most of us already know by now. You can't simply put out an 11, wait until you're losing and then panic and throw every attacker you have on. We see this far too often.

Disappointed, not because we lost, but in the naive way we did so. We should have won tonight.

P.s. After seeing how toxic opposition fans have been on the BBC comments post I hope we absolutely fucking nail the FA Cup now more than ever.
You don't run it into the corner on 60mis for fuck sake. Seriously when have you ever seen a team do that?

If we would have "sat back" for the remaining 30mins with one of the best attacks in European football and invite them on to us for all this time do you think we would have seen the game out, on what evidence do you base this on? What set's that president to bring you to this conclusion?

We were NOT gun-ho, we were very, very measured, we pressed high (defended aggressively from the front) but that's not being gun-ho, we didn't over commit our attacks, we actually slightly delayed them, we waited for the right moments when players were in the right positions, many times our players tacking an extra touch before laying off.

Seen also a lot of people saying Poch should have re-acted to Allegri's formation change. STOP think about that for 10 seconds, between them scoring their first goal and their 2nd goal the ball didn't go out of play once! So, at what point should Poch have made his substitutions to react? Send your answers on a postcard.

It may have been said already but one thing that impressed me last night was the support. It was noisy. Everyone seemed really up for it. I was in Club Wembley and it was very good. But the thing I like the most is that the players and the team were applauded at the end all around the stadium. We need to keep that level and show that we are a class apart, especially compared to the shambles down the road and the two racist clubs. COYS.

Back
Top Bottom