Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As is usual on the big occasion we threw it away with 3 minutes of madness, losing us the game and a chance to progress.
Until we learn to handle the big occasions like big clubs do (which we are not) then this will continue happening. Hopefully this is another nail in Pochettino’s coffin and we ship him out at the end of this season.
I am this morning (and I was last night at Wembley) so far beyond angry and disappointed that this has happened yet again on the big occasion when the team should have stepped up and shown their strength and failed miserably to do so.
We had the game under control in the first half, but that 3 minutes of stupidity lost us the match. As for being proud, no just very, very disappointed that the rest of football is laughing at Spurs’ delusion that we have a squad that has got what it takes.
At the end of the day we were simply beaten by the better team on the night.
Are you that Mark bloke from the radio? Or is this just trolling

I will probably say what's already been said, but we needed to make the most of our dominance, the game was quite possibly lost in the first half where we should have got 2 up, because we were not clinical enough Juve waited out their chance.

We were unlucky with last minute Kane chance but we were played somewhat. Juve's experience and guile combined by our inefficiency in front of goal combined cruelly.

This was not a bad performance though, this was a game lost on the margins. We deserved to be on that pitch last night and we have made dramatic progress, let's not let one horrible result take that away from us.

As is usual on the big occasion we threw it away with 3 minutes of madness, losing us the game and a chance to progress.
Until we learn to handle the big occasions like big clubs do (which we are not) then this will continue happening. Hopefully this is another nail in Pochettino’s coffin and we ship him out at the end of this season.
I am this morning (and I was last night at Wembley) so far beyond angry and disappointed that this has happened yet again on the big occasion when the team should have stepped up and shown their strength and failed miserably to do so.
We had the game under control in the first half, but that 3 minutes of stupidity lost us the match. As for being proud, no just very, very disappointed that the rest of football is laughing at Spurs’ delusion that we have a squad that has got what it takes.

No, you sad little Gooner, you weren't.

Do you want to watch Mourinho football every week or do you want to be entertained ? Would you swap poch for Mourinho if Utd came calling ? You can't have it all ways mate.

We can have it both ways.
However last night from the goal to the 60 minute mark Juve were there for the taking. A goal in the opening 15 minutes of the second half and I reckon that would have been that. We didn't stick and we didn't twist, we simply couldn't make our mind up and suffered for it.

Big Dav made a mistake that youth often makes, once he gets a bit older and wiser he'll not make that mistake. Up to that point he was a colossus, but at the top end of the spectrum small mistakes cost big time. Had he stayed goalside of their player at the second goal who knows, we could be looking at a Quarter final place and the chance to keep progress going.

What's the point in the FA cup?

I remember one year Man U couldn't even be bothered attending because they had a commercial opportunity elsewhere. The FA were so toothless they didn't even do anything about that. The lack of consequence for Man U's absence that year meant the death of the FA Cup. It's no more important than the League Cup, or the fucken Kirin Cup
It's us,the fans that make the F A Cup. I bet if we make the final we won't be on here saying ' couldn't give a fuck if we win or not ' What prima Donna Man U done that year was disrespectful but I'm old enough to know our history with this cup and would love to win it whilst also competing for the ' bigger' prizes

Also on the trolling front, for all the jokes and laughter you hear from other fans, below the surface there is a tangible sense of relief, no one wants to admit that we're a proper football team, deserving of CL status, it's not about us, it's the relief that they can carry on with their own delusions..

Anyone just feel incredibly deflated this morning?

Just terribly frustrating that we keep dominating big cup games (Juve in both legs, Chelsea semi final etc) yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

How many years pass before we stop blaming lack of experience?

I don’t think you can anymore. Lack of clinical finishing.

And maybe flexibility within our gameplay.

I don’t think you can be experienced enough to beat Madrid, Dortmund and draw away at Juve but then play the experience card when it suits you.

We should have won last night. Could easily have won last night.

But wasn’t a lack of experience that cost us.

Kane's effort was offside first of all and that was the last of many mistakes of that joker of a referee. Never mentioned any technical masterclass , I think technically Spurs were the better team, at least in midfield and attack. Defense has lots of room for improvement because it is not on par with the rest of the team tbh.
If what you say is true, and I do not believe it is, the fact that they got frustrated because of an opposition team that fouled them when in difficulty that would be a sign of inexperience by definition.
Again IMHO there was no reason when 3-2 up to keep exposing the defense by committing so many men forward and raising the tempo of the game. Spurs were in full control and did not need another goal.
I get what you are saying but it's flawed. If our defence is our weak element, why the fuck would we sit back and bring you onto it? Our best form of defence is to keep the ball and to press you high, which is what we did for most of both legs and why you barely had an effort on goal last night. We weren't bombing on and over committing in attack, we were controlling the game.

The alternate universe is to say that this was a masterstroke by Allegri, I bet his preparation notes of this game didn't say "lads we will win this game if we allow Spurs a goal and give them 23 shots on our goal, we only need 2 score twice with our three shots on target, is everyone happy with this plan"?

Maybe it's just me but I really don't get how people get so offended by words typed by strangers. It's not like we're a bunch of vulnerable kids who might be negatively affected by such. Maybe some go over the mark but is anyone really getting hurt.
I know who I'd rather go to a game with.
Mad abusive drunks aren't the type of people I like to socalize with, but each to his own

I don’t think you can anymore. Lack of clinical finishing.

And maybe flexibility within our gameplay.

I don’t think you can be experienced enough to beat Madrid, Dortmund and draw away at Juve but then play the experience card when it suits you.

We should have won last night. Could easily have won last night.

But wasn’t a lack of experience that cost us.

Lack of experience when it comes to seeing out a match - when Juventus went ahead, they changed their tactics and never looked like conceding - they knew exactly what they were doing.

At 1-0 or even 1-1, we had the tie won, but we continued to attack, attack, attack and although I love that about us, it cost us unfortunately.

We lack experience, experience of how ruthless the big boys are at the business end of a top competition. Hopefully our players and manager are a lot more experienced in the fine margins between glory and despair.

There is a cup to be won this season, lets take it. A good pre-season, a couple of top class additions, and we hit the ground running next August and lift ourselves from the pack early doors instead of letting teams get away from us. Lets get back in a position where we can see whether we've learned or whether there is a mentality problem.
FWIW, I think last night was simply down to Juve slowing the tempo to their liking and us letting them.

They haven't faced a big team so far. They will go out when they draw Juve or Real.

That's silly though. City haven't played a big team so far yet they're one of the favourites to win.

Liverpool won the competition with Djimi Traore and Milan Baros in their line up. Anything can happen.

I do think they're likely to be knocked out in the quarters but if anything Klopp has proven its that his team does incredibly well against bigger clubs.

Do you want to watch Mourinho football every week or do you want to be entertained ? Would you swap poch for Mourinho if Utd came calling ? You can't have it all ways mate.
Which wasn't what I said, which I subsequently explained.

I wan't us to have the ability to close a game out when we're in a winning position against a strong team, as someone like Mourinho is able to do, just that, only that.

It's not just Mourinho either, it's something that all great managers call on when needed, when the "Steamroller the opposition like 70s Brazil" option isn't working.

If you don't think that Pochettino and the players are wishing they could have done it in the second half last night I'd say you were kidding yourself

Lack of experience when it comes to seeing out a match - when Juventus went ahead, they changed their tactics and never looked like conceding - they knew exactly what they were doing.

At 1-0 or even 1-1, we had the tie won, but we continued to attack, attack, attack and although I love that about us, it cost us unfortunately.

Never looked like conceding?

I saw us hit the post late on. Must have imagined it I guess.

Back
Top Bottom