Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now who’s being silly if all it is to you is just the score then you either don’t ever watch games or don’t enjoy them or both. I’ll not engage

Well of course at the end of the day it comes down to who wins and who loses?

I take great pride in watching my club go toe-to-toe with the big boys, especially when we outplay them. But unfortunately, outplaying Juventus wasn't enough. They got one over on us.

We controlled large parts of the match and two momentary lapses lead to Juve getting ahead in the tie. It was a case of fine margins and I’m proud of our performance albeit it a disappointing result.

Let’s get 3pts at the weekend cement ourselves in the top 4, then go for it against Swansea in the Cup.

They didn't concede - that's the only stat that matters
You really need to stop saying that.

You mean they WON... and if THAT'S all that matters, then fine, I get it...

...but they definitely DID concede!

Otherwise I, and every other Spurs fan went absolutely mental for nothing just before HT last night!
:sonlol::sonhmm:

Well of course at the end of the day it comes down to who wins and who loses?

I take great pride in watching my club go toe-to-toe with the big boys, especially when we outplay them. But unfortunately, outplaying Juventus wasn't enough. They got one over on us.
Well if thats all it comes down to you’re missing out on a lot, especially from what our club has to offer

Well if thats all it comes down to you’re missing out on a lot, especially from what our club has to offer

I'm going to re-post what I posted last night for a few people questioning my thoughts on the game...

" Don't bother listening to the whole "Spurs bottle job bullshit - we've had to face some fucking good teams this season in the Champions League where as the other English sides have had a free pass up to now.
Who's laughing at us? Liverpool? United? We'll see how good they are against a proper European side...Chelsea? They'll be out soon enough...

We've been brilliant in the Champions League up till now and it's painful to get knocked out at this stage because I believe we deserve to be quarter finalists over Liverpool and United. Ultimately, we've been done by the more experienced side which is a real shame because we took the game to Juventus in both legs. "

That's silly though. City haven't played a big team so far yet they're one of the favourites to win.

Liverpool won the competition with Djimi Traore and Milan Baros in their line up. Anything can happen.

I do think they're likely to be knocked out in the quarters but if anything Klopp has proven its that his team does incredibly well against bigger clubs.
Are you sure?
this season they have won just 2 games against the top 6 (Woolwich & City) from 7 games. They have got spanked by City 5-0, and to us 4-1.

In the CL this year they have won just 4 games, twice against Maribor the others were against Porto and Spartak Moscow!

I'm going to re-post what I posted last night for a few people questioning my thoughts on the game...

" Don't bother listening to the whole "Spurs bottle job bullshit - we've had to face some fucking good teams this season in the Champions League where as the other English sides have had a free pass up to now.
Who's laughing at us? Liverpool? United? We'll see how good they are against a proper European side...Chelsea? They'll be out soon enough...

We've been brilliant in the Champions League up till now and it's painful to get knocked out at this stage because I believe we deserve to be quarter finalists over Liverpool and United. Ultimately, we've been done by the more experienced side which is a real shame because we took the game to Juventus in both legs. "
Yet you summarise with they won we lost and that’s all that matters

Yet you summarise with they won we lost and that’s all that matters

Now you're just taking my comments completely out of context.

When it comes to getting into the quarter finals yesterday, you have to actually win the tie. So in that aspect, yes winning is all that matters. Doesn't matter that we outplayed them.

When it comes to appreciating a brand of football, and seeing your team play a particular way that is pleasing to the eye, no winning isn't all that matters. I love the way we play.

But I assume you would have rather progressed to the quarter finals yesterday and wouldn't have come on here slating the team for being boring if we kept it tight at 1-0 or 1-1?

For the same reason why you put additional line of defenses in front of your most critical assets in a battle or an additional bandage on a weakened limb.
They played high tempo and very good football for 60 minutes often with 5-6 players in our last third of the pitch leaving room between midfield and defenders and leaving the 3-4 back exposed, without really needing the risk. Juve's second goal should never have been conceded by a team of your quality and then after those goals the team was very tired and could see that the efforts were less effective in creating dangers. At least that is how I saw the game, maybe I am biased because of my Italian football culture
The Italian defensive football culture, Catenaccio, wasn't on show from Juve last night, that defensive culture is not to concede a goal and 23 shots on your goal.

After you scored we were still pulling you about all over the place, we still got behind you, we hit the post.

You are conforming to the narrative of tactical masterclass and a brilliant defensive display, and defaulting to a style of play that actually didn't exist from Juve tonight. You adapt to this narrative because you won, but in no way was your performance warrant that tired Italian Catenaccio nonsense for this game. If you don't take the only chances you had there is a different story to be had, one of being dominated, old, slow.

What is really impressive from Juve is staying alive in a game you are losing, to be outplayed but remain in the game. Chelsea have done this for years too. This magic dust is why you won, this brilliant ability to stay in the game.

Now you're just taking my comments completely out of context.

When it comes to getting into the quarter finals yesterday, you have to actually win the tie. So in that aspect, yes winning is all that matters. Doesn't matter that we outplayed them.

When it comes to appreciating a brand of football, and seeing your team play a particular way that is pleasing to the eye, no winning isn't all that matters. I love the way we play.

But I assume you would have rather progressed to the quarter finals yesterday and wouldn't have come on here slating the team for being boring if we kept it tight at 1-0 or 1-1?
Sometimes football is like that, had Kane’s header gone in the conversation would be different. We wouldn’t have been boring and other than a 3 minute blip we did keep it pretty tight.

We may have lost, but isn' it good to be playing at this level and being competitive? Most of us have under 50 don't remember the glory glory days, suffered with some real shit after 1991. Do yourselves a favour and avoid TalkSport, Sky Sports News, and social media today, so many wind up merchants out to bait us! I came here for a safe space away from Twitter tw@s!

We have an excellent team that really should have beaten the match fixers, peraps we should have shut up shop at half time and played on the counter, but we didn't, and looked like adding more goals. At least we gave it a good go, no 10-2's! This is the best Tottenham team i've seen, keep the squad and go again next year after sealing 2nd place and winning the FA Cup. COYS

What's the point in the FA cup?

I remember one year Man U couldn't even be bothered attending because they had a commercial opportunity elsewhere. The FA were so toothless they didn't even do anything about that. The lack of consequence for Man U's absence that year meant the death of the FA Cup. It's no more important than the League Cup, or the fucken Kirin Cup
There is a point in the FA cup, because:-
It is goo to win something.
It is good to start somewhere.
It is good to learn how win to win trophies.
It is good for the team to stay together.
It is good for the fans to celebrate a trophy.
It is good for the club.
It is good to shut the f'in media.

First post since last night and was too tired to post when I got home. Thought we played well, controlled the first half and looked the only team in it at that point.

Second half started scrappy, not sure whether it was a Juve tactic to break up the game or just the way it went but there were a lot more niggly fouls and yellow cards and it stopped us settling back into the same rhythm.

Not sure what happened around the 60th min but suddenly Juve had scored once then again and we were all stunned. It kind of went flat for 5/10 mins then we were back in control. Could have and should have scored. They rode their luck but that's what you need.

Proud of the team and management. Thought they did little wrong and can hold their heads up high.

I wanted to put my two pence worth in. While I am absolutely heartbroken about going out the way we did, I'm extremely proud to be Spurs. The boys showed the world that we play football the proper way and at times it was glorious to watch, albeit without a win. It will come, its a work in progress and its a brilliant, squad with a fantastic future. Heads up, we're Spurs always a reason to smile. We march forward!

Sometimes football is like that, had Kane’s header gone in the conversation would be different. We wouldn’t have been boring and other than a 3 minute blip we did keep it pretty tight.

Of course, but we were throwing the kitchen sink because we were losing 2-1 at that point...it's a game of fine margins. Had we not completely lost the plot in the first 10 minutes of the first leg, we'd probably have gone through.

Back
Top Bottom