Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think the ref had a great game but he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head so don't blame him for not seeing the stamp, it was done because the ref was looking the other way around.

Davies is excellent at creating opportunities by going inside, as he was last night. Our plan however was to overload the right hand side of the pitch, this was our focus and through Son it largely worked, whilst we do that, Davies was always available on his own on staying wide on the left. I like this.

No but he has eyes in the front of his head but was selective in using them as evidenced by that last free kick he gave them
Yes we were fortunate with Jan’s tackle and their penalty claim but overall the ref greatly favoured them

Yes Davies did get into some good positions but all too often he either cut back inside or stopped then passed back while we had people in the box crying out for a decent delivery

This is just a start.w We have been 2 years in CL. City reached semifinal once in 8 years. Liverpool reacjed 1/4 finals 1st time in 10 years. Chill. It's Juventus. Next year with easier draw we'll make progress.

Rose in his prime was over a year ago, so it's as pointless as saying if we had Gazza from 1989 we'd be better off.

Funny how Davies has practically played all season but every time we lose a game "the full backs aren't good enough"

He was good enough when we went 17 unbeaten and when we won the CL group though...
I never said Davies wasn't good enough he's been great this season and I never said, "the full backs aren't good enough" either.
My gripe was with you calling Rose crap he's barley played this season and is recovering from an injury I think with more gametime we might be able to get him back to his best if he's still poor after playing game after game then it's time to let him go. If we're willing to give Lamela a second chance after being out for so long why not Rose?

We also won 11 or 12 in a row with Davies last season and went on to our highest ever PL finish.....not good enough though

So Davies was the reason we won 11 or 12 in a row last season and went undefeated for so long until last night?

:avbhumph:

No but he has eyes in the front of his head but was selective in using them as evidenced by that last free kick he gave them
Yes we were fortunate with Jan’s tackle and their penalty claim but overall the ref greatly favoured them

Yes Davies did get into some good positions but all too often he either cut back inside or stopped then passed back while we had people in the box crying out for a decent delivery
That's exactly what Davies is supposed to do.

I just thought the ref was inconsistent for both teams. There was their penalty (Costa should have gone down but chose to stay on his feet released he couldn't get to the ball then went down because of this I see why he didn't give it, but we should also of had a pen for a shirt pull on Jan, but these are so hard to spot with 20 players all making movements, so don't feel hard done by. Where I thought the ref was poo was his inconsistency, at times he should have booked players (both sides) and other times he didn't even give a foul for what was a bookable offence (both sides).

A bitter pill to swallow indeed.

They were cunning in their defence second half as well as being a tight solid compact unit.

All other forms of social media will be ignored today from me as I know it will only get me depressed/angry.
And all the fucking pundits who draw general conclusions along the lines of "Tottenham always ... Tottenham never" off the back of that 1 game.

This was our team's last chance, and they have had plenty before. We have bottled the league twice and now we have continually bottled Europe. I don't want this team to continue. It won't win anything. The spirit isn't there. There is no grit.

The highlights of this era are a collection of fancy goals, flicks, and passes. We have won nothing. Nothing.

The players who can will leave soon. There is no reason for them to stay, and I'll be glad to see about 4 or 500M in revenue from the sale. Then we can return to mid table with the stadium paid off. We'll still have clips of flicks to celebrate from our cheaper, mid table outfit. It'll be more honest that way. We're wasting our time with this vacuous fantasy at the moment
Vince, you're not related to the Scottish character from Dad's Army are you by any chance? Frazer wasn't it? You know the one; "We're all doooomed... doooooooomed I tell ye..."

Come on, mate - they were in total control. Did they concede?

They were within about 3cms of conceding and allowed a lot of pressure. Corners etc. We were constantly around their goal.

Another day we score and it’s a different story.

But no we didn’t score they didn’t concede, down to luck as much as anything else.

I’m afraid that some of our top players, who may be on the fence about moving on after losing this one, may be thinking “is this as far as this club can go”?

Hope not

:avbpray:

Watch, we'll go on to win the FA Cup beating Leicester in the final and all we'll see is

"It's only Leicester"

"We didn't have to play a hard game all tournament"

"It's only the FA Cup, even Woolwich have won that"

The minute we win it the next morning it will be “is the FA Cup enough for these players?” In the media even though they were saying it’s the holy grail for us days before

The FA cup is just a day in the sun and a chance to see Hugo and Poch with a trophy, but like Ramos and George Graham our last two trophy winners, we look back at the Jol years much more fondly.

The day after we win the FA cup we will look at the league table and say thank fuck we are back in the champions league, as that’s what gets us money and attracts players

That's a really good point about mentality, you're right, it probably did send the wrong signal....

But why shoul it? ...after all, sexual assault and intimidation was part and parcel of the Hollywood/Film industry for decades...
Doesn't mean we should all just accept/ignore and just go along with it.

Dispicable, snide behaviour - in whatever industry; Sport, Film, Politics - needs to be eradicated, not accepted as 'just one of those things' that we should expect, and certainly not rewarded with success!

In European football its part of the whole experience and part of the fun. I dont condone it in the Premier League but in Europe its a different game.

Barcelona are some of the biggest cheats ever, so are Madrid, Italian teams likewise, the players go down like a sack of shit if you touch them to waste time/change the pace of the game. If youre on the ascendance, expect them to go down. For them its about game management so youve got to play fire with a bit of fire back.

Trust me when Aguero does it for City, or Luiz does it for Chelsea, or the way Costa used to do it for Chelsea, their fans aren't complaining, they might hold their noses at it a bit in the Premier League, but not in a European game, they know the deal.

Look when Alli goes down easily in the PL hes going to get slated from me. If he went down easily in a European game, ill give him the thumbs up.

Thought Trippier was solid also, on both ends of the pitch.
He had a mixed night for me, first 10mins I thought he look very nervous, gave away the ball with his first two passes but thought he grew into the game. He was looking to intercept and play early forward passes, this was pleasing. At the time I thought his assist for Son was sensational, but having seen it back through the magic of replays, it looks almost certainly his pass was intended for Eriksen, so got a bit fortunate for that, although him being there to play the ball in the first place is FB play I enjoy watching.

It's to easy to single out an individual for the first goal of theirs, there was more than one culprit but he was ball watching for his part in it. The 2nd goal they scored I am fucking fuming at him, he didn't do what I expect of our defenders and that fight with everything you have, he didn't even fucking try to challenge Dybala, he just let him run on goal! Totally unacceptable, especially as he did exactly the same thing against Rochdale away. I want to see what Davies did at the weekend with his tackle, what Rose and Walker have done, for that matter every single one of our defenders will give everything to put off or challenge the oppo (in Aurier's case may be too much).

He had a mixed night for me, first 10mins I thought he look very nervous, gave away the ball with his first two passes but thought he grew into the game. He was looking to intercept and play early forward passes, this was pleasing. At the time I thought his assist for Son was sensational, but having seen it back through the magic of replays, it looks almost certainly his pass was intended for Eriksen, so got a bit fortunate for that, although him being there to play the ball in the first place is FB play I enjoy watching.

It's to easy to single out an individual for the first goal of theirs, there was more than one culprit but he was ball watching for his part in it. The 2nd goal they scored I am fucking fuming at him, he didn't do what I expect of our defenders and that fight with everything you have, he didn't even fucking try to challenge Dybala, he just let him run on goal! Totally unacceptable, especially as he did exactly the same thing against Rochdale away. I want to see what Davies did at the weekend with his tackle, what Rose and Walker have done, for that matter every single one of our defenders will give everything to put off or challenge the oppo (in Aurier's case may be too much).
Completely agree inexcusable what he did for the second goal, people can say what they want about aurier being a liability but one thing about aurier is, he always follows his mans run on the inside. Trippier actually looks at dyabala then completely switches off and lets him in, then the worst thing is he doesn't chase after and at least put some pressure on him, he just puts his arms up for offside leaving dyabala completely through. Apart from that I thought he had a good game, but games like last night you simply have to be at it for the full 90, you can't go to sleep at any moment. Really unfortunate but hopefully he learns from this as I actually think he has improved over the last couple months.

In European football its part of the whole experience and part of the fun. I dont condone it in the Premier League but in Europe its a different game.

Barcelona are some of the biggest cheats ever, so are Madrid, Italian teams likewise, the players go down like a sack of shit if you touch them to waste time/change the pace of the game. If youre on the ascendance, expect them to go down. For them its about game management so youve got to play fire with a bit of fire back.

Trust me when Aguero does it for City, or Luiz does it for Chelsea, or the way Costa used to do it for Chelsea, their fans aren't complaining, they might hold their noses at it a bit in the Premier League, but not in a European game, they know the deal.
Look when Alli goes down easily in the PL hes going to get slated from me. If he went down easily in a European game, ill give him the thumbs up.
I'm afraid I genuinely don't get why it should be condoned in one competition, but condemned in another... am I missing something, or am I just being naive and petty?

Racism is also rife and on the rise again in many parts of Europe, and has been for years. Doesn't mean it's right, or that we should adopt or ignore such a mentality...

Or is European racism all just part of the fun too?

Back
Top Bottom