Tottenham Hotspur versus the Bianconeri, Wembley stadium, 7th of March 2018, 1945hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's exactly what Davies is supposed to do.

I just thought the ref was inconsistent for both teams. There was their penalty (Costa should have gone down but chose to stay on his feet released he couldn't get to the ball then went down because of this I see why he didn't give it, but we should also of had a pen for a shirt pull on Jan, but these are so hard to spot with 20 players all making movements, so don't feel hard done by. Where I thought the ref was poo was his inconsistency, at times he should have booked players (both sides) and other times he didn't even give a foul for what was a bookable offence (both sides).
VAR in theory should have fixed all that. Pen for Juve - red for Barzagli and later on Chelini

What a shit day it has been. I was left heartbroken last night. I felt if I had stayed in the stadium any longer than I did then I could have shed a tear.

I was on the tube thinking to myself that I have nothing to be angry about. Nothing to be ashamed about. Nothing to be disappointed about. Every player gave a good account of themselves.

I have heard people slag off Poch and the players but I can honestly say I wouldn't swap any of them.

We have so much to be thankful for. Our club is special for so many reasons.

Listening to Son after the game ripped my heart out. It was upsetting to see how down he was.

Today has been tough. To listen to the shit the media have come out with. To listen to the cunts in the BT Sport studio last night. To listen to Jason Cundy suggest that Dembele isn't a player. To listen to Durham talk shit has been tough. What I find worse is how some of our fan base look to the negative.

All I want to say is that I love being Spurs. The morning of yesterday I got a bit emotional thinking of my Grandad who is the reason I'm Spurs. How he would have loved to be part of last night. I thought how exciting it will be to introduce my 3 year old son to Spurs in a few years time.

Last night hurt. It still hurts now. It will hurt for sometime. But. Remember the reasons why you support our club. You will realise that last nights defeat doesn't really matter. We are bigger than this defeat and we have so much more to be proud of.

What a time to be a Spurs fan.
It's a great time to be a Spurs fan whatever the outcome this season next or whenever good or bad I wouldn't haven't any other way......COYS

Simplistic to say 'three minute blip' especially in this tie.

Missed penalty in the first leg, Jan very lucky not to get a penalty called against him and failure in front of goal over and over again by us.

We have a young team void of any success whatsoever, and i truly feel a more experienced player with a winners medal or two would help.

Not disappointed but we will i feel be the bridesmaids for some time to come, but i am really pleased with our overall season given where we play and the massive monetary difference that we will never compete with.
That glass is half empty!

VAR in theory should have fixed all that. Pen for Juve - red for Barzagli and later on Chelini
For Vertonghen's foul it would have, not the shirt pull and not the Barzagli stamp as these were not "clear & obvious errors". Barzagli would be retrospectively banned by now had that been a PL game, but it wasn't, so he isn't.

For Vertonghen's foul it would have, not the shirt pull and not the Barzagli stamp as these were not "clear & obvious errors". Barzagli would be retrospectively banned by now had that been a PL game, but it wasn't, so he isn't.
Shirt pulling is a foul rewarded with a direct free kick. Shirt pulling in the penalty area results in a penalty if perpetrated by a defender.
Or has that rule now been changed?
Barzagli stamped on Son 3 times in succession, Stevie Wonder would have spotted that.

Winning domestic cups does not make you 'elite' .... can anyone (without looking) name the winners of the domestic cups around Europe in the last five years?
Playing in the CL and winning our Domestic title that's what makes you 'elite' ....
Not belittling the FA Cup, and like all fans I want a trophy just to shut the feckin' media up, but winning the FA Cup and missing out on the CL would be a huge step backwards .... just look at the Nomads ....

Again, you're missing the point.

:pochfacepalm:

Shirt pulling is a foul rewarded with a direct free kick. Shirt pulling in the penalty area results in a penalty if perpetrated by a defender.
Or has that rule now been changed?
Barzagli stamped on Son 3 times in succession, Stevie Wonder would have spotted that.
I know mate.
But VAR wouldn't have changed anything, apart from Vertonghen's penalty, is the point being made.

I know mate.
But VAR wouldn't have changed anything, apart from Vertonghen's penalty, is the point being made.
Do you mean that the VAR would ignore the blatant Juve fouls, but hone in on JV's?
The Rochdale game was notable for the huge waste of time with the decisions, but technically correct in all of the decisions.
Unpopular, but the letter of the law was applied

Continuous improvement is what's needed. It's silly to dismiss trophies because the likes of Portsmouth and Wigan have won them. The next step for any club wanting to move onto the elite is trophies. It's simply stupid to think otherwise

How can we be an elite club with zero trophies in the cabinet? What's elite about that? The rule of thumb is that continuous improvement will see us win a trophy.

2014-15
Finished 5th
Final of League Cup
Knocked out 4th round of FA Cup
Round of 32 in Europa League

2015-16
Finished 3rd
Third round of League Cup
Knocked out 5th round of FA Cup
Round of 16 in Europa League
Improvement

2016-17
Finished 2nd
Fourth round of League Cup
Semi Final of FA Cup
Knocked out in Group Stage on Champions League
Improvement

2017-18
4th in the League*
Fourth round of League Cup
Quarter finals of FA Cup*
Round of 16 in the Champions League

So far I'd say improvement. Leagues top five is all round stronger this year I'd say and we still have the chance to finish 2nd. Not done any worse in the League Cup, we're one game away from equalling the semi final of last year in the FA Cup and we obliterated last years Champions League run.

How do we improve next season? Further in the league cup whilst maintaining our progress in the other cups? Perhaps an FA Cup win? Further in the Champions League? Mount a title challenge?

The thing with winning a trophy I keep hearing is that it breads that winning mentality within the squad, we will never have a better season to to win it either as the semi and final will be like home games. I always thought this season would be a write of due to playing at Wembley, But if we make top 3 and win the FA cup then I would see that as a very successful season!

Simplistic to say 'three minute blip' especially in this tie.

Missed penalty in the first leg, Jan very lucky not to get a penalty called against him and failure in front of goal over and over again by us.

We have a young team void of any success whatsoever, and i truly feel a more experienced player with a winners medal or two would help.

Not disappointed but we will i feel be the bridesmaids for some time to come, but i am really pleased with our overall season given where we play and the massive monetary difference that we will never compete with.

I get the gist of your point.

Maybe I would offer this because the things you have mentioned re: the penalty that wasn't and our missed opportunities (which still occur at tight moments) can happen.

We had worked our way to being ahead. Pochettino, superb manager that he is chose to stick. Now take away for a moment your dislike of Mourinho.

I just think we could have moved first. Made a holding substitution if you wish to tighten things up. Allegri did once ahead.

Sure it's a gamble but it throws your opposing manager off guard. I maintain Allegri moved with one hand on hope if not two and got the reaction.

We held our nerve in many respects but Pochettino has to find a way and that means not always waiting even if things are going well.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
The thing with winning a trophy I keep hearing is that it breads that winning mentality within the squad, we will never have a better season to to win it either as the semi and final will be like home games. I always thought this season would be a write of due to playing at Wembley, But if we make top 3 and win the FA cup then I would see that as a very successful season!

I don't think winning the FA Cup will be easy at all even from this point but I do know we have to give it 100% of our commitment.

Article by Oliver Kay today titled ' Tottenham are not bottlers - they just need experience' encapsulates the views of a few posters and also what happened on Wednesday.

We are so very close.

A good read if anyone gets to read it.

Haha people calling for VAR, we would have been 1-0 down at half time, for a penalty which was also 50-50 down to interpretation.

One of those ones you wouldn't complain if it was given, but you can see why it wasn't too. A panel of VAR wouldn't dare give any other decision though.

Back
Top Bottom