Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hopefully he will play and be practically 100% for Juventus Wednesday too.

Hopefully city destroy Chelsea and their top four hopes tomorrow and we put Huddersfield to bed early, get a few players off for a rest. Weird being a 3 o clock Saturday game for a change.

This section of the Guardian interview is great:
“I hope everyone feels [that this is a key period for the club] the way I feel it,” he says. “This team can reach a lot, and it’s always nicer to have achieved this with a group of players who have been together for a lot of time and come through the ranks, or have lived in London a long time. To achieve this with this group of colleagues and friends – that’s a better feeling than just going somewhere and winning a trophy.

“It will give us a lot if we win something with this group. I can’t speak for other players but I believe that they believe we will get that here, that trophy, and they will stay here.”

Bang on Jan, bang on

This section of the Guardian interview is great:
“I hope everyone feels [that this is a key period for the club] the way I feel it,” he says. “This team can reach a lot, and it’s always nicer to have achieved this with a group of players who have been together for a lot of time and come through the ranks, or have lived in London a long time. To achieve this with this group of colleagues and friends – that’s a better feeling than just going somewhere and winning a trophy.

“It will give us a lot if we win something with this group. I can’t speak for other players but I believe that they believe we will get that here, that trophy, and they will stay here.”

Bang on Jan, bang on
Keown agrees with him (from BBC today):

I agree with Jan Vertonghen. It does mean a whole lot more when you stick together. At Woolwich we saw United win everything in 98/99, then we lost the Cup final to Liverpool. But when we win the league and cup again in 2002, it makes it feel even better. Tottenham should stick together, it's a special group and they've been unlucky. But the Champion League is a competition that you have to learn from.

Having re-watched the game, he was my motm today. Many great performances to choose from but shaded it for me. Some superb interceptions and last-ditch tackles. Player of the season for me hands down. Mr consistency all year and never been less than 8/10.

although all our players have a shout for POTY, as we have the best team spirit I have ever seen, Jan would get my vote, as he has been the most consistent. I'm a bit nervous saying this though, as my last two POTY have been Rose & Toby!!!

I hope he gets given player of the season. In the same way Leonardo DiCaprio got an Oscar. Not that he's been the best player this season (Christian Eriksen, Jan not far off, mind.), but because of his service and deserves recognition for his services to Spurs.

He has my vote. Struggling to think of a game where he's been poor. My mind gravitates towards the games where we were poor, City away, Woolwich away, Newport, Southampton, (he didn't play in Rochdale & West Ham kangaroo cup) and I don't recall him having a bad game in these games. For me player of the season is either someone that carries the team i.e. head and shoulders above the rest, without them playing we lose. OR it's a player that turns up ever single game, that his performances may not see him get MoTM but in the top 5 of players in a game and I think this is Jan. He's put in a handful of MOTM performances and has never dropped bellow a 7/10 performance.

Eriksen is right up there, especially his importance to the team, we do miss him when he's not playing but he's performances have dropped bellow a 7/10 a handful of games, I'd also say the same of Kane.

Don't know if there are any clips floating around of it - but I have to say that break away against Stoke where Jan was left basically 1v4 was incredibly astute defending. The ball carrier (Diouf was it?) was driving to the penalty area but Jan stayed in a central position throughout knowing that if he committed to the ball the easy pass was on for a sure-thing goal. Of course there was a risk that Diouf would drive to Hugo's left and rifle it in but it was the much smarter decision to stay in the middle and challenge him to do it himself.

In the end Diouf ran out of steam and wasn't confident enough to do it himself so hit a cross/shot which went straight to our man Jan who was in the perfect position. Absolutely quality defending.

Back
Top Bottom