If Poch does go, who would you like to see next?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree that the extra money from the CL is not a factor, but the prestige of the competition is: players want to be seen and showcase their abilities because, if you hadn't noticed, a lot of them are proper tarts. It really isn't astonishing what coughymachine coughymachine is saying; he's seeing the world for what it is, and in no way is he defending the sorry state of affairs. There are very few on in forum that are happy with the direction the game is going. But if we want to talk about the possibility of winning anything, finishing in the top four and being competitive in the CL is a must.

The prestige accounts for little, the games best players do simply want to participate they want to win the tournament. And those same players also want the premium salaries which we cannot afford.

As for needing CL to win silverware, the current side was built without CL revenues or football. Our signings since being in the tournament have been pretty dismal and are not an enhancement in terms stature to the ones we were making before.

This squad is good enough to win silvware and has been for 3 seasons now. It doesn’t need additional revenue streams to achieve this, it is already in that postion. Why are so many still vested in this planning stage? It’s always about what we will do in the future and never about the here and now.

As I have stated numerous times, we are not going to be an elite club certainly not without a sovereign wealth fund or oligarch behind us. It’s pure wishing thinking on supporters behalf, to put this into context we made £52 million from the CL. What does that afford you on today’s market?

Clearly you're basing this strictly on actual cash received, once you factor in how much we gain from exposure in one of the most globally recognised domestic football competitions in the world, you should find that number will increase.

Clearly you're basing this strictly on actual cash received, once you factor in how much we gain from exposure in one of the most globally recognised domestic football competitions in the world, you should find that number will increase.

I keep on hearing this but this is never reflected in our commercial deals. How this is exposure being monetised exactly?

Last edited:
what I object to about this thread is that it could have been discussed in the Pochettino one. However we get non-contributors starting new pointless threads based on very minor comments. Thus causing meltdown. Would love Poch to stay forever, however understand he will one day move on. That day is yet to come and as such why are even discussing this non-event.

please close this thread, whilst i've contributed i'm losing the will to live

Simeone inherited a team that had won the Europa League 13 months earlier

Poch inherited a mess created by this guy :sherwoodlol:

Poch inherited a team that had finished 6th in a season when it sacked its manager. It contained players that formed the basis of the team today and was a club that had finished 4th, 5th, 4th and 5th this decade. Sherwood wasn’t responsible that season, the recruitment team were. It was too much and too low quality.

I keep on hearing this but this is never reflected in our commercial deals. How this is exposure being monetised exactly?
I'm not sure whether you're being serious here or not. I'll throw a couple of things out there just in case you are.

At £306.3million, our 16/17 revenues are almost 50% greater than our 15/16 revenues, due largely to our status as one of the PL's 'Top 4' clubs - and this during a season where we crashed and burned in the CL. Next year's revenue will, unsurprisingly, be significantly more.

If you need any evidence of how much 'Top 4' and CL participation is worth in financial terms, take a look at Leicester's year-on-year revenues. Do you imagine the 17/18 figures will show continued growth now that they're back to being a mid-table, non-CL club?

16/17 - £233m
15/16 - £128.7m
14/15 - £104.4m

Beyond that, our ongoing status as a leading PL club will help attract much more favourable commercial terms for things like stadium naming rights than would otherwise have been the case. You may also have read reports that we're one of the clubs arguing for a larger slice of the overseas TV action (not something I'm thrilled about, as it happens, but a reality).

Edit to add: There's also this to consider:

Last edited:
The prestige accounts for little, the games best players do simply want to participate they want to win the tournament. And those same players also want the premium salaries which we cannot afford.

As for needing CL to win silverware, the current side was built without CL revenues or football. Our signings since being in the tournament have been pretty dismal and are not an enhancement in terms stature to the ones we were making before.

This squad is good enough to win silvware and has been for 3 seasons now. It doesn’t need additional revenue streams to achieve this, it is already in that postion. Why are so many still vested in this planning stage? It’s always about what we will do in the future and never about the here and now.
I see where you're coming from, but don't you think that the extra money gained from CL will help us to pay increased salaries? On the prestige side, I believe that there are players who would decide on where they're going based on whether a team has CL or not (Hazard, for instance).

Is the squad good enough to win silverware? The lack of silverware refutes that without me having to. We're *just about* there, but being CL regulars will help us over the line. Feels strange having to explain this, but surely CL football + better wages to attract a higher quality of player = equals better chance of winning something?

No, but it’s telling that many have given up on him. When did we get like this?

Small minority of morons crawling out of the woodwork to throw provocative threads out there. Seems to be quite a common theme in the last week or so. Where were these lurkers on the forum before? Soon as things aren’t going to plan up they pop. Still think unless you’ve contributed posts and acquired a number of reps you shouldn’t be allowed to start threads.

Hmmm. Not sure subsequent events really bear that out.
not every manager works out at every team
with us he would, i like to think, have had players more suited to what he wanted than he inherited at palarse. (even if it would have been the collection of bell ends that pochettino inherited)

Watched his interview. He says “we” more often than he mentions someone else being the manager. Media love to stir shit.

Personally think he was referencing the “process” will continue with or without him when he alluded to not being in charge.

But who knows?

I hope he stays and believe he will for at least one more season.

But when he gets shit for not contending with maybe the biggest club in the world -whose investment in three players amounts to more than the investment in our whole squad - he must wonder what is realistic and what he can achieve here if winning is the only yardstick.

And I know who I would rather have had over the last few seasons between him, Sherwood and AVB and Redknapp.
It's why I only wait for these video's that come out to listen for myself. I've no problem reading opinions but never a piece of what a reporter interperteats.

...and still finished behind far inferior Leicester and Chelsea teams in consecutive seasons.

Fucking lol. You’re a bit mental.

Far inferior Chelsea were the first team in premiership times to record 30 wins in a season. They went on a record breaking run of winning games.

But yet they were far inferior to us?
How can you say that?

Leicester literally had other teams cheering them over the line.
They lost 1 game at home all season. 1 game. So inferior to one team at home.

What cost us that season? Drawing a lot of games. But to say we were far superior to Leicester is bullshit.

Tbh it’s a pretty warped viewpoint you have.

Far inferior Chelsea were the first team in premiership times to record 30 wins in a season. They went on a record breaking run of winning games.

How can you say that?

What cost us that season? Drawing a lot of games. But to say we were far superior to Leicester is bullshit.

It's his determination to prove a point on just how shit we are, just how shit the Manger is, looks for it in every single post. But in every single post is corrected to the point of making his point completely irrelevant.

Another little thing to just pop into the discussion is that the Chelsea side and the Leicester side were both not playing in Europe whilst we were. Leicester also went out of the cups almost immediately and Chelsea were Champions the season before Leicester. Little facts he or she leaves out of the numerous posts.

It's why I only wait for these video's that come out to listen for myself. I've no problem reading opinions but never a piece of what a reporter interperteats.

Thanks Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 just shows never believe what’s written and watch the full press conference and not the edited down highlights.

Admin Admin can we close merge this thread into Pochettino one please.

Last edited:

How can you say that?

PS. Neither of those teams had any European competitions to worry about in the seasons they won.

Edit: sorry, just saw that Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 beat me to it!

Yes, this bollocks from you, yet again.

The bollocks I speak off is your childish mimicry...

(Ironic you don't see it as being a bit of a dick, but then proceed to dish out posting 'advice'.)

Rather than endlessly complain about posters why don’t you actually contribute to discussion?

Think you'll find I contribute to discussions when a) I have something to say and b) I don't see my opinion already represented.

Back
Top Bottom