If Poch does go, who would you like to see next?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This thread is bad ju ju.

Poch is our best manager since burkinshaw. I am still haunted by the tenures of ardiles, Francis, gross, pleat and Graham.

Yes he has much to learn but rather him than anyone else.

I was so annoyed after Saturday but genuinely believe we have the right manager in place. Our league positions in the last 3 seasons are proof of that.

From what I see poch needs to think differently about his subs in matches and needs to start sending out the right tones with regards to the domestic cups.

Poch is our best manager since burkinshaw. I am still haunted by the tenures of ardiles, Francis, gross, pleat and Graham.

I was so annoyed after Saturday but genuinely believe we have the right manager in place. Our league positions in the last 3 seasons are proof of that.

From what I see poch needs to think differently about his subs in matches and needs to start sending out the right tones with regards to the domestic cups.
Last paragraph sums it up entirely. He can ill afford to belittle domestic trophies until he’s won some.
And his match management can leave fans like me absolutely bemused.

But he is certainly the man for the job. He’s been absolutely fantastic in the main.

This.

When Pochettino does eventually leave, he'll have created such a legacy here that he probably gets a say in who eventually replaces him. Someone he thinks can continue that legacy. Yes, that's me saying Pochettino will be here 10+ years and will see glories with us.

Sure, it's frustrating that we haven't won anything yet and it's mind numbingly boring to keep hearing "project this, project that, we deserve trophies, if we keep at it we'll eventually win etc" - but I think we will eventually win something.

I do think Pochettino's lack of care for the League Cup and comments at times regarding the FA Cup do rub off on the players and the fans putting obscene pressure on the players doesn't help - these players are more than good enough to win something though.

Agree with the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs and would like to agree with the 1st but things can change so quickly.

Assuming you had lost all sense and sanity, and mistook the vagaries of football for a narrative that you needed to move on, I would suggest a career working as a columnist for a UK newspaper. However, for the sake of thought exercise, let's do this:

Replacing Pochettino asks two questions.
1) is the current Spurs team/idea of play working?
2) what is the idea of play that we need to win these games that we're currently losing?

1) We spend around 50-66% of our rivals in the table, but have achieved 3rd, 2nd, and possibly 3rd or 4th, We're consistently punching above our weight and getting results beyond what spending levels suggest we should be able to expect. That leads to a follow-up question of is that us kicking ass, or richer clubs fucking up? I think the answer is: both.

We're playing CL-quality, 80-points a season-level football. Richer teams are not, but that is completely separate from our own work. So, broadly, yes, the team and idea are working.

2) What do we need to do to win the games we're losing?

Better subs, better pre-match PR from ourselves (Mauricio talking down the Cups needs to stop) have been mentioned. Being able to stay focused for 90 minutes with no mistakes (unlike the Juventus match) is another. Other than that though, honestly, not much. Sometimes random shit happens and you lose even when you're the better team. Sometimes the other guys just have the game of their lives. That does happen, and shouldn't be used to claim we're not doing the business.

I think, given the pattern of Levy's managerial appointments, that there is a Spurs style in his mind, and that any manager would need to match that. I think that means a short-passing possession game, with a lot of attacking intent, and probably a lot of pressing on top of that. In other words, anyone who comes is going to have to be a Pochettino clone, because that is the "house style", regardless of anything else.

They'd also need European experience and an ability to rotate the squad to preserve fitness.

That narrows the list considerably. There are maybe 5-6 guys who fit that profile, and all of them are currently employed at other clubs. With the exceptions of Pep, maybe Klopp, and maybe, maybe Tuchel, none of them are actually higher profile, or "better" than Pochettino at all.

In other words, there is no case for Mauricio leaving. Giving him additional resources to help learn about rotation and maybe some extra tactical ideas that he could experiment with would be smart, but that's it.

Time to double down with the one that brung us.

Really he was used a lot of last season. Definitely the madrid game.

You're not wrong in that Dier dropped in for the remainder of the game

....but since the Toby injury?

Not to over-labour the point but i can't recall 3CBs since.

Cest la vie.... Not like digging out team sheets will help either way.

Agree with the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs and would like to agree with the 1st but things can change so quickly.

Can't really talk about a leagacy just yet. A long period of trophies needed for that. If more and more stars leave without us buying players of similar values then all of this lagacy won't last long

I love him but we'll never win anything under him til his attitude changes towards domestic cups or we go out and actually spend some serious money

This is honestly the first page of this thread I've bothered to look at. Couldn't be bothered wading into here after the weekend.

Was chatting about this last night over drinks: I'm genuinely feeling angry at some of the more excessive meltdowns on social media. We've had some amazing moments this season - and are so close (in terms of number of matches) to getting into that new stadium - and it feels like losing an FA cup semi final to one of the best teams in England (by a single goal, no less) has just wiped all of that from some people's minds.

I can appreciate that the last fortnight has been shite, with Liverpool having one foot in the CL final definitely not helping on a subconscious level (and the nagging fears of Woolwich winning the EL thrown in too), but ultimately they are a separate issue from our club unless we're playing them in a match.

For me, this season can be held up to show a massive improvement in our CL performances, ending the Stamford Bridge hoodoo, and (touch wood) likely getting top 4 despite being at Wembley all year. The gap to Woolwich has grown as well.
With some of our notable absences player-wise, that's a decent return.

Do I want more improvement? Of course. I think Poch is starting to reduce the 'stupid' cup losses that plagued us before; with back-to-back FA cup semi-finals indicative of this. We still should not have thrown away the League Cup game against West Ham though, and rode our luck somewhat in the FA Cup against lower-league opposition - I want more solid performances going forward.
We will break the semi-final hoodoo. That's what Poch has been doing in the last 4 years - breaking hoodoos one by one. Maybe next year, maybe in two years. It'll come.

I'd also suggest we wait to see what transfer business we get done in the summer. I think we're at a point in time where Levy has to flex the financial muscles and show ambition.

Spurs fans who don’t understand the need for longevity and are willing to return to a managerial search are either too young to remember the early 00’s and late 90’s, or they are a bit naive....

I mean, it’s like some fans only really remember Harry, AVB and Poch and think “oh it’s not too bad”...but not feeling what it was like having 20 odd managers since 1991.
The others must feel that Klopp would be better or something. I’ve heard that said.
Ignoring he was no better than Brendon for two and a half years, and has “average” full backs.

Either way, Poch is overwhelmingly appreciated by Spurs fans and Levy, and as long as he wants to be here, he will be.

I'm not sure whether you're being serious here or not. I'll throw a couple of things out there just in case you are.

At £306.3million, our 16/17 revenues are almost 50% greater than our 15/16 revenues, due largely to our status as one of the PL's 'Top 4' clubs - and this during a season where we crashed and burned in the CL. Next year's revenue will, unsurprisingly, be significantly more.

If you need any evidence of how much 'Top 4' and CL participation is worth in financial terms, take a look at Leicester's year-on-year revenues. Do you imagine the 17/18 figures will show continued growth now that they're back to being a mid-table, non-CL club?

16/17 - £233m
15/16 - £128.7m
14/15 - £104.4m

Beyond that, our ongoing status as a leading PL club will help attract much more favourable commercial terms for things like stadium naming rights than would otherwise have been the case. You may also have read reports that we're one of the clubs arguing for a larger slice of the overseas TV action (not something I'm thrilled about, as it happens, but a reality).

Edit to add: There's also this to consider:

No I don’t think you understood the point at hand, I wasn’t referencing the CL revenues, I was referencing our commercial deals such as sponsors kit supplier etc. I am continually told that the CL will enhance these but no example is ever given. If this were the case then why for example are we only earning less on our kit deal signed in 2017 than Woolwich are on theirs which came into effect in 2014?

As for the CL itself, well it quite clear from the use of the word participation that there is a clear misconception as to how this actually this works. Clubs have to achieve high domestic placings as well as be successful in the CL in order to generate real revenue.

The fixed sums are distributed with wins and draws whilst the market pool sums are determined by league finishes (1st get 40% whilst 4th only 10%) and again progression of those sides in the format.

Leicester generated £70 million in that campaign simply because they were 1st in the market pool share, won 4 out of their 5 games in the groups stages and progressed to the quarter finals where as no other English side did. We in comparison made £44 million and that figure takes into account gate receipts as well.

The point is that the CL revenue isn’t determined by participation it is determined by achievement and even with our modest success this year this only accounts for £52 million which in current market conditions accounts for little and that doesn’t even account for the bonus payments that have to be paid from that.

When you compare us against the elite with regards to financial capacity such figures do little to close the gap. The CL is an unsecure highly variable income stream so the suggestion that such a thing will enable us to operate an elite payroll or enable us to make higher calibre signings is somewhat laughable. We have been in the CL in the last 2 seasons, tell me what has changed in our operations since then? The answer is not a lot.

Last edited:
The bollocks I speak off is your childish mimicry...

(Ironic you don't see it as being a bit of a dick, but then proceed to dish out posting 'advice'.)

Think you'll find I contribute to discussions when a) I have something to say and b) I don't see my opinion already represented.

So rephrasing a statement to highlight the similarities of previous eras is construed as ridicule. Um righto.

No I don’t think you understood the point at hand, I wasn’t referencing the CL revenues, I was referencing our commercial deals such as sponsors kit supplier etc. I am continually told that the CL will enhance these but no example is ever given. If this were the case then why for example are we only earning less on our kit deal signed in 2017 than Woolwich are on theirs which came into effect in 2014?

As for the CL itself, well it quite clear from the use of the word participation that there is a clear misconception as to how this actually this works. Clubs have to achieve high domestic placings as well as be successful in the CL in order to generate real revenue.

The fixed sums are distributed with wins and draws whilst the market pool sums are determined by league finishes (1st get 40% whilst 4th only 10%) and again progression of those sides in the format.

Leicester generated £70 million in that campaign simply because they were 1st in the market pool share, won 4 out of their 5 games in the groups stages and progressed to the quarter finals where as no other English side did. We in comparison made £44 million and that figure takes into account gate receipts as well.

The point is that the CL revenue isn’t determined by participation it is determined by achievement and even with our modest success this year this only accounts for £52 million which in current market conditions accounts for little and that doesn’t even account for the bonus payments that have to be paid from that.

When you compare us against the elite with regards to financial capacity such figures do little to close the gap. The CL is an unsecure highly variable income stream so the suggestion that such a thing will enable us to operate an elite payroll or enable us to make higher calibre signings is somewhat laughable. We have been in the CL in the last 2 seasons, tell what has changed in our operations since then? The answer is not a lot.

What the FUCK are you waffling on about now?!

You're a fucking joke.

Back
Top Bottom