Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope we do not turn into a club who sees qualification for the Champions League each season as the height of achievement.

Fantastic that it is we must also look at winning a trophy and that means bulking the squad with greater quality and Pochettino not talking of priorities as opposed to expecting to win every single game we play.

Last edited:
I hope we do not turn into a club who sees qualification for the Champions League each season as the height of achievement.

Fantsstic that it is we must also look at winning a trophy and that means bulking the squad with greater quality and Pochettino not talking of priorities as opposed to expecting to win every single game we play.
Mate FFS, give it a fucking rest will ya!

We've just qualified for CL for ONLY the 4th time in our entire history. In the past 4 seasons Spurs and Manchester City are the only teams to have secured CL football in 3 consecutive seasons and we've done it whilst playing a whole year away from home!!!

If we can finish 3rd it will be only the 2nd time in our entire history we have come in the top 3 in 3 consecutive seasons since Bill Nic era 60-63!

And yet here you are taking the "new narrative" that Spurs are turning into Woolwich by getting CL but doing fuck all with it, they did it for 20 fucking years. Do Man City fans say this? Athleti fans? Dortmund fans?

Give us a bit of time, enjoy rather than heaping on huge pressure.

Over the moon.
Of late, my emotions have gone from desperate to absolute elation.

Bring on whoever the fook we play. Fact is we are for a 3rd year in the CL, and as a fan abroad, have enjoyed the ride with all you terrific supporters.

#COYS

there's a good analysis on where we sit in regards pots here:

Spurs still have great shot at Pot 2 in Champions League

for the TLDRs - we are top of pot 3 right now

If Sporting win at the weekend, then Benfica drop out of pot 2
or
If the dippers lose in the final, Real go into pot 1 (not pot 2)
or
Basel fail to get through qualifiers for the CL (they start in earlier rounds due to finishing 2nd in Switz)

So still a decent chance we get pot 2... let's see how the dominoes fall on Sunday evening - hopefully by the time we're home after our match on Sunday, Sporting will be a good chunk of the way to helping us over the line

Good point she makes above.

We'll be playing CL football at home for the first time in 7 years next season.

Lane will be rocking.

Third time in a row.
I'm looking forward to another tough draw which seems to get the best out of us. Historic European games in our brand new stadium.
tottenham-hotspur-cl-01-450x256.jpg
Really cannot understand this attitude. We want to progress like Liverpool and get the hard teams like Madrid in the latter stages. Hard groups take so much energy that it diminishes our league results. It is no coincidence that we only get going after the group stages in the league and are always playing catch up. Pot 1 is Champions and will be difficult but let the other 2 teams be easier (no easy teams).

Really cannot understand this attitude. We want to progress like Liverpool and get the hard teams like Madrid in the latter stages. Hard groups take so much energy that it diminishes our league results. It is no coincidence that we only get going after the group stages in the league and are always playing catch up. Pot 1 is Champions and will be difficult but let the other 2 teams be easier (no easy teams).

it's just because we've seen that we fail to turn up against the shit teams in Europe. Our first year in the CL we had the toughest draw possible, but came through and reached the quarters.

the second time we qualified we had shit teams in our draw and we fucked it up, didn't even get out our group.

and this season we had another tough draw and finished top of the group, later knocked out by last season's finalists in a very close result.

If our players turned up against the shit teams then of course I'd like an easier draw like Liverpool got this season.

it's just because we've seen that we fail to turn up against the shit teams in Europe. Our first year in the CL we had the toughest draw possible, but came through and reached the quarters.

the second time we qualified we had shit teams in our draw and we fucked it up, didn't even get out our group.

and this season we had another tough draw and finished top of the group, later knocked out by last season's finalists in a very close result.

If our players turned up against the shit teams then of course I'd like an easier draw like Liverpool got this season.
I get what you are saying but we should have learnt from that. We were 6th in the league 7 points behind Chelsea when we completed the group stage and had to play catch up. An easier draw and we might not have had the melt down this week as we would have secured top 4 earlier.

I get what you are saying but we should have learnt from that. We were 6th in the league 7 points behind Chelsea when we completed the group stage and had to play catch up. An easier draw and we might not have had the melt down this week as we would have secured top 4 earlier.

I don't disagree, though going out in the group stages the season before didn't result in us beating Leicester to the title. I do think you are right though, getting an easier draw *should* be a good thing, I just doubt if it will be for us.

I can see exactly where you're coming from, but let's not forget that our first CL campaign was with a different squad (literally), the second was our new 'younger squad's first attempt in the CL, and this year we played out of our socks in the group of death.

There's just not enough 'data' to take from those 3 campaigns to inform in any way how we will perform in the coming CL.

The flip side of this is would you swap that feeling the night we smashed RM at Wembley for an earlier top 4 berth? Because I wouldn’t. That’s a fabulous memory I will take to my grave. Wembley was bouncing. Pure energy.
And securing top 4, having seen the chavs get their hopes up (& very chippy with it) only to see them crushed with a game to go is another deeply saitsifying feeling. They even bottled it at home to ‘Uddersfield.
Overall, it’s been a brilliant season and I wouldn’t change it to have finished top 4 sooner.

The flip side of this is would you swap that feeling the night we smashed RM at Wembley for an earlier top 4 berth? Because I wouldn’t. That’s a fabulous memory I will take to my grave. Wembley was bouncing. Pure energy.
And securing top 4, having seen the chavs get their hopes up (& very chippy with it) only to see them crushed with a game to go is another deeply saitsifying feeling. They even bottled it at home to ‘Uddersfield.
Overall, it’s been a brilliant season and I wouldn’t change it to have finished top 4 sooner.

Yes it turned out well in the end.. I must admit, I had my doubts as to the ending this time but that has probably made it even sweeter.

Back
Top Bottom