Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our loyalty is to the Club, as we all know 99% of players and management will be off if they get what they regard as a better offer. Only the supporters stick with THFC through thick and thin. Therefore, I think we were well within our rights to be upset about the interview. Nevertheless, hope he gets himself sorted out for his own sake and that of his family.

I was fuming at Rose for his sun interview and quite rightly (at the time) gave him some shit about it on here.

However, I now feel bad about it, knowing what lay behind his actions. It doesn't make what he did right, of course it doesn't. But I wouldn't wish depression (having been a long time suffererer of it - ended up in hospital twice due to deliberately overdosing) on my worst enemy.

Whether or not he plays for us again is not important and I wish him the best of luck moving forwards.

I am actually so torn on this issue.

From one hand it is sincerely sad to hear any person related to the club suffering. It is brave to come out with that issue and as a human being I wish he would recover from it and all the tentions in the family would be resolved as well.

But from other side - I still have a feeling that this interview was at the same time given with a tone of excuse of the previous season to still smooth the way out of the club. You know, that ManU would think, "Ahwww, the guy had some issues, that's why his performances were subprime, let's give him a try, he is still full Englis national side player!". It might have helped if he would have said really any word about club/teammates/coaches/board supporting his struggles or whatever. But rather I picked up some indirect accusations towards the club.

So I don't know. Maybe to all parties it would be best if some other club would pay market price for him and give fresh start somewhere else? Current situation does not seem to make anyone happy. I mean he even specified that "he will do his best for England" but did not follow it up with "and after that I want to have good season with Tottenham."

Yes, it has left me quite conflicted. To be honest though I was never that impressed when I saw him play last season. He looked half-interested, playing within himself. Didn't look bothered at all.

The last game vs Leicester was more of the 'old' Danny but maybe he got word that England scouts were there and realised it was Last Chance Saloon.

I hope he and England do well but he's definitely off in the summer.

"It all stemmed from my injury when I was advised I didn't need an operation. I don't know how many tablets I took to try and get fit for Tottenham, how many injections I took trying to get fit for Tottenham. I had cortisone and platelet-rich plasma injections trying to be fit for my club"

"England has been my salvation and I can't thank the manager and the medical staff enough"

Bitter much?

"It's no secret that I've been through a testing time at Tottenham this season, It led to me seeing a psychologist and I was diagnosed with depression, which nobody knows about."

Certainly nobody on the Spurs medical team seems to be aware of this diagnosis, that's no crime it's obviously a very private personal matter (that is until you get paid to publish it in the Sun)

Stop making excuses for the lad, he may have been depressed but he's still responsible for what he's saying .....

As usual Danny Rose trying to make the story "Danny Rose" ... just before a world cup when the focus should be on the team with no distractions, first we get the 'not safe for my family' then 24 hours later 'my battle with depression' ... no doubt a few Sun 'exclusives' and a book to follow ...

He may well have strong feelings about racial issues in Russia, he may well have suffered from depression, millions of people do ... but now is not the time for the little gob-shite to be a self publicist and go on a press offensive, does he ever think about what's best for his team and country? ....

He's always been 'me - me - me' ... he caused discord at Spurs by ill-timed press comments ... now just prior to a World cup he's at it again ... he would make a perfect addition to the Dippers 'victims' club .....

Edit - Of course the Sun is behind a lot of this, it's not just Danny ....
Fuck me this is a cunty post. Yeah how dare 'gob-shite' danny speak out against racism in russia, how dare he speak out about depression. Are you black? do you suffer from depression? if the answer to both of these is no then who the fuck are you to tell someone to just shut up and get on with it. When exactly is the right time to speak out about any issue? during the season he's disrupting the team, when the seasons over he's disrupting England. Fucking hell the guy is a human not a robot and "he would make a perfect addition to the dippers victims club" comment is fucking horrible take it you've never known anyone suffer from depression or you wouldn't be trivializing it like that, shits not a joke. Some things are bigger than football and the more footballers, celebrities etc to speak out about mental health the better, like I said before if his comments help some kid out there get help dealing with his own depression, then who gives a fuck if it's not whats "best" for his team and country, even though I don't see how this would have any negative affect on Englands world cup preparations anyway.

Fuck me this is a cunty post. Yeah how dare 'gob-shite' danny speak out against racism in russia, how dare he speak out about depression. Are you black? do you suffer from depression? if the answer to both of these is no then who the fuck are you to tell someone to just shut up and get on with it. When exactly is the right time to speak out about any issue? during the season he's disrupting the team, when the seasons over he's disrupting England. Fucking hell the guy is a human not a robot and "he would make a perfect addition to the dippers victims club" comment is fucking horrible take it you've never known anyone suffer from depression or you wouldn't be trivializing it like that, shits not a joke. Some things are bigger than football and the more footballers, celebrities etc to speak out about mental health the better, like I said before if his comments help some kid out there get help dealing with his own depression, then who gives a fuck if it's not whats "best" for his team and country, even though I don't see how this would have any negative affect on Englands world cup preparations anyway.

Snowflake per chance? I'm sorry he suffered from depression but that doesn't excuse him cunting of the club .. it has feck all to do with being black, racist or anything else, that's just you being a dick ...

Danny said what he said .... so stop making feckin' excuses for him ... he hasn't made excuses, in fact he's manned up and said he stands by everything he said ... and whilst I disagree with him I admire him immensely for doing that ... if he's not making excuses, he sure as hell doesn't need a worm like you to do it for him ...

Last edited:
Fucking hell.

A man gave an interview or two.
Yes it has had repercussions - but that is life. We have all made mistakes. And will make more.

But some of the stuff I have just read is fucking unbelievable tbh. Still judging the man. Let it go.

The reasoning was we don’t know his issues so he got shit. Now we do know his issues.
He gets shit.

Amazing. And not in a good way.

I had friends who left girlfriends/wives and kids behind. Now that’s a proper repercussion. And one I will never truly understand or come to terms with.

Unless you are Danny Rose you have no idea what the fuck he is / was thinking.

Anyway carry on. As you were. I will go get my oversized horse to sit on and take a little gallop.
As someone else has pointed out maybe online forums listening to strangers is not always the place to be.
Great post. People are still giving him abuse even after they know he has mental health problems. Hopefully that will be an eye opener for people who last night were arguing that no one gave him abuse whilst knowing he had mental health issues. They know now & are still doing it.

I never got overly upset about Rose. Thought it was stupid for him to publicly say that stuf but I think we’d all be lying to say there werent a few truths in what ue said.

I’ve heard from various sites that he was in a dark place when the interview came out so this just confirms it. Time to rally around him like everyone did with Lennon.

As much as I like Davies, Rose has that extra level that Davies doesnt possess. It’s a shame he couldnt get a steady run of play when he did get healthy, although it might be a good thing if he stays. I dont think there is anyone close to his level when healthy available for a decent price.

Great post. People are still giving him abuse even after they know he has mental health problems. Hopefully that will be an eye opener for people who last night were arguing that no one gave him abuse whilst knowing he had mental health issues. They know now & are still doing it.

Hitler had mental health problems, doesn't mean he is beyond criticism.

No, I'm not comparing Danny Rose to Hitler.

Why do you think having mental health issues gives you some sort of immunity?

Jeffrey Dahmer had depression. Don't worry about all the people he killed, he was in a bad place.

I feel very much for Danny but he still has to behave in a professional manner and depression doesn't effect professionalism.

You have no idea what you're talking about which is why you're attacking other fans.

Snowflake per chance? I'm sorry he suffered from depression but that doesn't excuse him cunting of the club .. it has feck all to do with being black, racist or anything else, that's just you being a dick ...

Danny said what he said .... so stop making feckin' excuses for him ... he hasn't made excuses, in fact he's manned up and said he stands by everything he said ... and whilst I disagree with him I admire him immensely for doing that ... if he's not making excuses, he sure as hell doesn't need a worm like you to do it for him ...
The post I responded to had nothing to do with him cunting off the club, and nothing in my post excused him saying what he did last august. You were having a go at him for speaking out about racism in russia and for him admitting his depression, the fact your immediate response was to call me a snowflake tells me all I need to know about what type of person you are so I'll just leave it at that.

Hitler had mental health problems, doesn't mean he is beyond criticism.

No, I'm not comparing Danny Rose to Hitler.
You're pretending criticism & personal abuse are the same thing. You seem to think saying "I don't think rose should have gone to the press" is the same as saying "rose is a cunt & he would fit right in at victimpool". I will leave you to make cheap jokes about mental health issues.

Last edited:
As usual Danny Rose trying to make the story "Danny Rose" ... just before a world cup when the focus should be on the team with no distractions, first we get the 'not safe for my family' then 24 hours later 'my battle with depression' ... no doubt a few Sun 'exclusives' and a book to follow ...

He may well have strong feelings about racial issues in Russia, he may well have suffered from depression, millions of people do ... but now is not the time for the little gob-shite to be a self publicist and go on a press offensive, does he ever think about what's best for his team and country? ....

He's always been 'me - me - me' ... he caused discord at Spurs by ill-timed press comments ... now just prior to a World cup he's at it again ... he would make a perfect addition to the Dippers 'victims' club .....

Edit - Of course the Sun is behind a lot of this, it's not just Danny ....
You cannot generalize depression, it impacts on individuals in so many ways and to varying degrees.
If you have known people who have suffered from major depressive disorders for example you will know what I mean. We must support our players, Danny has been through a lot, with his long term injury and marginalization by fans and probably teammates, yet he is still here. He has made mistakes so has everyone else, mental health issues impact on you like that, don't compare him to a dipper victim, he is a Spurs player and one we should be backing up!

Your pretending criticism & personal abuse are the same thing. You seem to think saying "I don't think rose should have gone to the press" is the same as saying "rose is a cunt & he would fit right in at victimpool". I will leave you to make cheap jokes about mental health issues.

I've not made any personal comments (at least not without the focus on actual criticism), and don't condone those that do.

It wasn't a joke.

Last edited:
Our loyalty is to the Club, as we all know 99% of players and management will be off if they get what they regard as a better offer. Only the supporters stick with THFC through thick and thin. Therefore, I think we were well within our rights to be upset about the interview. Nevertheless, hope he gets himself sorted out for his own sake and that of his family.
I get what you're saying but the difference is you wouldn't call him a cunt, twat & say he would fit in well at victimpool. Its one thing people criticising him for going to the press, but its another giving him personal abuse. I just feel there's no need to give him personal abuse for it.

I get what you're saying but the difference is you wouldn't call him a cunt, twat & say he would fit in well at victimpool. Its one thing people criticising him for going to the press, but its another giving him personal abuse. I just feel there's no need to give him personal abuse for it.

I agree - that should be the new standard for quite a few on this forum

You're pretending criticism & personal abuse are the same thing. You seem to think saying "I don't think rose should have gone to the press" is the same as saying "rose is a cunt & he would fit right in at victimpool". I will leave you to make cheap jokes about mental health issues.
This post is soaked in hypocrisy.

You really are a piece of work. You weaponise mental health to attack others fans then accuse others of cheapness?

Danny Rose represents so much to me personally. Was and still is my favourite current player. Before kane before Dier there was rose heralding the new spurs. Hard determined and talented. Despite some of the brick bat's he received early in his spurs career he would flower into the storming represenive of the new spurs.

Some of my biggest battles on here was the bollocks gibbs131 use to throw his way.

I got to see him play very close and no quarter was ever given. It's why the actual support in the ground is very generous to him. My sons really got what Rose was about. He was loaned out to Sunderland and they still adore him there. I really hope he turns in a brilliant world cup.

I have never given up on him cheared every return to the team sheet and hope he has a long career at Spurs. What he has given spurs far outweighs any personal lapses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom