Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They targted Walker because he was first the first choice RB in the team with least goals conceded and they needed a RB. Had Trippier played the previous two seasons, they would have bought him.
Sorry mate. But now you're taking the fuckin piss.

They bought Walker, cos he's a better player..
We sold Walker, cos they we're never offering 50million for Tripps.

We are a poorer side without Walker. As we will be without Toby. As I said, to convince yourself otherwise is clearly delusional

I basically see it this way, positive forward play equals aggression and pressing.
Measured sideways, check backs equals turgid garbage.

I would rather Eriksen shot when he ran out of ideas 20 yards out every day of the week, than the ball ends up back at Jan. Who cares about possession when you barely cross the halfway line?

Same with Trippier, I love the he consistently puts the ball into a danger area.....rather a spontaneous "aimless" cross, than a well thought out, well covered, well predictable, meaningless pass back wards.

We are a poorer side without Walker. As we will be without Toby. As I said, to convince yourself otherwise is clearly delusional

If Walker had spent the previous two years behind Trippier, like he was at the end of the season, they wouldnt have bought Walker. Not sure how you can even think thats not the case.
Why would they offer 50M for a sub? Walker was basically sold in January, so they would have been pretty silly to buy Trippier come June.

You say that Walker is the better player, but as many have pointed out, thats basically down to his pace getting him out of the numerous clown like mistakes he still makes. Might want to watch their CL games v Liverpool.

Walker is being moulded into something we isnt, and never was, by people who probably called him our weakest link when he was here......right?

Funny that he cant 100% nail down the England spot despite being far superior.

We were a poorer side playing at Wembley for the first few months, but apparently that was next level to you.

If Walker had spent the previous two years behind Trippier, like he was at the end of the season, they wouldnt have bought Walker. Not sure how you can even think thats not the case.
This is getting ridiculous.
He didn't spend the previous 2 years behind Trippier because he's clearly a better player. I can't believe I'm even debating this with you.
I'm out of here:pochbye:

This is getting ridiculous.
He didn't spend the previous 2 years behind Trippier because he's clearly a better player. I can't believe I'm even debating this with you.
I'm out of here:pochbye:

He was behind Walker because Walker had been playing well enough, consistently for those two years, for the first time in his entire Spurs career, which started some six years previously. For those 6 years, he was crap.

He lost his place to Trippier. So your own logic is fucked.

Why arent you slagging off Poch over this John..?
:kaneear:

Just like Toby has lost his place......you are saying that Poch has weakened the team, and not for footballing reasons (as you claim the players dropped are all better) so must be personal.

In your view, the manager has put ego before the team, and we are weaker for it.
Why no critique?

:dembelefingers:

I agree that purely looking at assists might be misleading, as a simple two-yard sideways pass 80 yards from the opponent's goals can be an assist. However, he consistently produce more than did our previous backs, and he's got the chances-created numbers to back up his assists. Crosses may not often lead to direct assists, but they may create chaos at the back, they may pull defenders out, they may create corners, and they may create situations leading to goals. If a wide player never crosses, why would the defense even bother moving out to put pressure on him? They could place 11 players in their own box.

What's the percentage of dribbles or take-ons leading directly to goals, or forward passes? Pretty low, I assume. Yet I bet few would argue that we should play less forward passes, or that Son or Dembele should stop dribbling? It's all part of an offensive repertoir making us hard to face, leading to our goal scoring.
Again, take the point on crosses and I've never said don't cross, you have to mix it up, you have to keep the defence guessing, not be predictable. (I also don't know if a cut back is considered a cross when the stat-misters do their compiling of numbers but I'd class it as a cross of sorts?? I don't think it is included, if so I love these and want to see more of them but Trips is rarely in behind a defence to execute, unlike our other FB's). But "putting it into the mixer" really doesn't cause that much of a problem, it's bread and butter for the goalkeeper and defenders. (another game, did you see the Woolwich game in Madrid this week? All they did was cross, their crosses didn't find a single Woolwich shirt, it was 1 vs 5 or 6 or 7 if it went into the box, but the vast majority, just like Tripps crosses, also went sailing over everyone in the box. Piss of piss, let them do that all night long, it's why they only mustered a paltry 2 shots on target in a semi-final!!!!

With Tripps 90% of the time you know he's gong to cross, defending a cross is easier than defending someone who is going to get past you, especially if you know what is coming 90% of the time. I'm a defender, would I prefer defending against a player that's NOT going to try to take me on, or one that IS going to try to take me on? I choose the guy that's not going to take me on every single time. Answer this, if you were preparing to play Tottenham how do you set-up to counter what they are going to do to you? Where is the threat coming from? What patterns of play have you identified? Tripps = piss of piss to prepare for, you know what's coming, it's all he's going to do, cross. So, one you try to prevent the cross from coming in, or two just let him cross it our 'keeper and defence can defend this, no biggie.

With a take-on players aren't successful all of the time, they can lose the ball, however this opens up the counter-press, it's what I love about Son's work, he loses the ball a lot but the ball is lost in an advanced position, in order for the defender to tackle he has to engage him, therefore chances are he's been pulled out of a defensive line to do this, ergo there is now a space they need to fill or be left. With a defence out of shape and we win the ball back quickly the chances are far better to score than pumping a ball into a box defended by 4-5 defenders and a keeper (5 v 2) if we are counter-pressing it's against an out of shape defence and at least one defender is out of the game (4 v 2 or even better if the counter-press was won from an initial 1v1, so hopefully we may have even worked an overload in our favour). If all this brakes down, then we still have the ball. They can't score if we have the ball.

Back to crossing, it is easier to defend against a cross, than someone running at you, Walker, Rose, Aurier and Davies (on the inside) all commit the oppo, they all provide the oppo with a headache, "will he cross or will he take me on", with Aurier, Walker & Rose they can go inside or outside too. This is hard to defend against, their is variety there is a relentless pressure too as they have the ability to track back and get forward and as the minutes tick by the oppo relents, it wilts and the opportunities either increase or the oppo just takes the option to defend and are effectively pinned back (I'll excluded this from Aurier as not sure of his true capability and stamina yet but he does tend to improve and create more in the latter stages of game). Trips has never pinned back his opposite number, in fact as we see every single game they target the space behind him because he's never getting back, if he's not getting back then cover has to come from another player DM or CB, ergo it is now Spurs that are out of shape, it is now Spurs that are venerable and we concede loads of chances.

All this is why I hate seeing Tripps in the team, easy to defend against, easy to attack us. And I haven't even gotten to the point of entertainment, watching him is fucking boring. I love seeing our players take-on the oppo, look at Lucas, Son, Dele, Kane, Dembele, Lamela and Eriksen they all possess the ability to beat a player, to entertain us to make us go Ohoooo and Aahhh that get us out of our seats and sing their names. Tripps doesn't do this, he's a boring, dull footballer. The obvious entertainers are those who possess those flashes of skill, but watching Spurs under Poch I've also jumped out of my seat when Dier has put in a glorious tackle or Wanyama who has intercepted a ball, Toby's diagonal, Jan's bringing the ball out of defence, Hugo's cat like reflex all of them producing regular moments of joy, where I've spontaneously stood up to applaud. Tripps keeps me in my seat, Tripps makes me annoyed with his endless crosses to no-one, watching him trying to defend is painful. I get zero pleasure from watching the munchkin.

Everyone should know my stance of Walker (I love him and think his the best RB in the League and one of the best in the World) and likewise my dislike of Tripps. So agree on the players as individuals.

BUT we are NOT a poorer side without Walker, we play differently but we are not a poorer side, even I chief Tripps derider can't lay claim to this, our results this season simply do not support this theory. (Toby, who I think is mustard, hasn't been missed this season, we are NOT a poorer side when he's doesn't play).

Last edited:
Trippier can sometimes make up for his lack of pace with his distribution. I know I'll get some shit for saying this, but, I wonder how he would convert into a central midfielder. The difference of playing centrally versus on a side is to do with awareness - 360 as opposed to 180. If I was Poch I'd try him out in the middle of the park for a few months in training and see how he holds up. If he could be successfully converted to a central midfielder then his natural passing ability combined with his excellent, relentless effort could be a recipe for a wonder player. It's just a question of awareness.

I say this, because as much as I like Trippier, I would prefer to see our first choice right wing back with Yedlin-esque pace to boot.

Again, take the point on crosses and I've never said don't cross, you have to mix it up, you have to keep the defence guessing, not be predictable. (I also don't know if a cut back is considered a cross when the stat-misters do their compiling of numbers but I'd class it as a cross of sorts?? I don't think it is included, if so I love these and want to see more of them but Trips is rarely in behind a defence to execute, unlike our other FB's). But "putting it into the mixer" really doesn't cause that much of a problem, it's bread and butter for the goalkeeper and defenders. (another game, did you see the Woolwich game in Madrid this week? All they did was cross, their crosses didn't find a single Woolwich shirt, it was 1 vs 5 or 6 or 7 if it went into the box, but the vast majority, just like Tripps crosses, also went sailing over everyone in the box. Piss of piss, let them do that all night long, it's why they only mustered a paltry 2 shots on target in a semi-final!!!!

With Tripps 90% of the time you know he's gong to cross, defending a cross is easier than defending someone who is going to get past you, especially if you know what is coming 90% of the time. I'm a defender, would I prefer defending against a player that's NOT going to try to take me on, or one that IS going to try to take me on? I choose the guy that's not going to take me on every single time. Answer this, if you were preparing to play Tottenham how do you set-up to counter what they are going to do to you? Where is the threat coming from? What patterns of play have you identified? Tripps = piss of piss to prepare for, you know what's coming, it's all he's going to do, cross. So, one you try to prevent the cross from coming in, or two just let him cross it our 'keeper and defence can defend this, no biggie.

With a take-on players aren't successful all of the time, they can lose the ball, however this opens up the counter-press, it's what I love about Son's work, he loses the ball a lot but the ball is lost in an advanced position, in order for the defender to tackle he has to engage him, therefore chances are he's been pulled out of a defensive line to do this, ergo there is now a space they need to fill or be left. With a defence out of shape and we win the ball back quickly the chances are far better to score than pumping a ball into a box defended by 4-5 defenders and a keeper (5 v 2) if we are counter-pressing it's against an out of shape defence and at least one defender is out of the game (4 v 2 or even better if the counter-press was won from an initial 1v1, so hopefully we may have even worked an overload in our favour). If all this brakes down, then we still have the ball. They can't score if we have the ball.

Back to crossing, it is easier to defend against a cross, than someone running at you, Walker, Rose, Aurier and Davies (on the inside) all commit the oppo, they all provide the oppo with a headache, "will he cross or will he take me on", with Aurier, Walker & Rose they can go inside or outside too. This is hard to defend against, their is variety there is a relentless pressure too as they have the ability to track back and get forward and as the minutes tick by the oppo relents, it wilts and the opportunities either increase or the oppo just takes the option to defend and are effectively pinned back (I'll excluded this from Aurier as not sure of his true capability and stamina yet but he does tend to improve and create more in the latter stages of game). Trips has never pinned back his opposite number, in fact as we see every single game they target the space behind him because he's never getting back, if he's not getting back then cover has to come from another player DM or CB, ergo it is now Spurs that are out of shape, it is now Spurs that are venerable and we concede loads of chances.

All this is why I hate seeing Tripps in the team, easy to defend against, easy to attack us. And I haven't even gotten to the point of entertainment, watching him is fucking boring. I love seeing our players take-on the oppo, look at Lucas, Son, Dele, Kane, Dembele, Lamela and Eriksen they all possess the ability to beat a player, to entertain us to make us go Ohoooo and Aahhh that get us out of our seats and sing their names. Tripps doesn't do this, he's a boring, dull footballer. The obvious entertainers are those who possess those flashes of skill, but watching Spurs under Poch I've also jumped out of my seat when Dier has put in a glorious tackle or Wanyama who has intercepted a ball, Toby's diagonal, Jan's bringing the ball out of defence, Hugo's cat like reflex all of them producing regular moments of joy, where I've spontaneously stood up to applaud. Tripps keeps me in my seat, Tripps makes me annoyed with his endless crosses to no-one, watching him trying to defend is painful. I get zero pleasure from watching the munchkin.

I agree, and he comes across like he thinks he’s much superior than others too which really annoys me. He looked like a little lost lamb in the champions league games this season, well and truly out of his depth. Serge is much worse too, I’d sell the both of them at the drop of a hat

Without comparing him to walker, that time has passed.

Is he at the level we need him to be at to challenge for titles?
I genuinely thought he would get there, but this year he hasn’t come on much..,,

What this... a fucking thesis on the Trippier/Walker theory?

Tonight Trippier became a man. He's been outstanding for a season and a half already, but tonight he showed everyone exactly why he is an England international.

A clever, reliable talented footballer. Reads the game, and commands his part of the pitch with confidence.

Did himself proud tonight, and I for one am happy to watch him grow into his role with us over the coming years.

Upgrade my fucking arse.

Well done son

Back
Top Bottom