Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football London reporting Reo Griffiths has apparently already left us, having cancelled his own contract. I was told he was looking for a new club, but didn't realise that meant he had actually cancelled his contract. Still think this'll be a tribunal scenario.

Football London reporting Reo Griffiths has apparently already left us, having cancelled his own contract. I was told he was looking for a new club, but didn't realise that meant he had actually cancelled his contract. Still think this'll be a tribunal scenario.

Maybe he thought he was being clever and got out of a tribunal sale...have to admit that video he made wasn't too flattering with regards to his character.

The bloke has literally filmed himself taking hits from a bong and uploaded to his instagram before...

And taking hippy crack.

Guy comes across as a massive cock who had one good season as a young amateur and thinks he's better than he really is.

Would honestly be amazed if he made it to the top level but good luck to him. I'm sure he'll realise his mistakes if it comes to it.

Maybe he thought he was being clever and got out of a tribunal sale...have to admit that video he made wasn't too flattering with regards to his character.

Griffiths was on the 3rd Year of an Academy Scholarship rather than a pro contract, so whilst we receive compensation, it won't be mega bucks

Maybe, but that is now 3 who have left recently and Marcus Edwards is not exactly happy is he ?

This idea of Poch being so good with younger players is looking a bit hollow to be sure.

How many have come into the first team in the last 2 years ...... none.

You have to give them a chance, and he doesnt, instead we have Janssen and Llorente.

I am cant say I blame them, if they are good enough, they are old enough, and the only way to find out is to give them a chance, and not just in some meaningless tournament in America.

Maybe.. Just maybe... They AREN'T good enough? Hence why they aren't getting games. Mens football is a different kettle of fish to kids football.

Edwards couldn't even get in the Norwich team, ffs.

I'm willing to wager that Griffiths won't get in Lyon either.

Maybe, but that is now 3 who have left recently and Marcus Edwards is not exactly happy is he ?

This idea of Poch being so good with younger players is looking a bit hollow to be sure.

How many have come into the first team in the last 2 years ...... none.

You have to give them a chance, and he doesnt, instead we have Janssen and Llorente.

I am cant say I blame them, if they are good enough, they are old enough, and the only way to find out is to give them a chance, and not just in some meaningless tournament in America.

Pretty much all Spurs youth watchers would agree with that - although worth saying that it true across most of the PL clubs (especially all the top 6) - with a number of continental clubs seeing the opportunity to get top English talent (and its worth remembering that over the last 2 years England teams have won euros or world cups at u17, u19 u20 and u21 if I recall correctly). at cheap prices.......and no doubt will sell after giving them valuable game time at £30m/£40m/£50m a time back to Pl clubs who will be glad of getting players who qualify as 'homegrown' players.

Hopefully Spurs (and other PL clubs) will have noted the number of 'escapes' from PL clubs and refine how they deal with young player development...although I fear it may take a while !

It’s a bit weird that Mukede, Griffiths and Bennetts (or even Edwards) our talked about promising youngsters feel the need to move to the German , French and Dutch leagues becuase they feel they have a better chance of making it into the first team in a few years.
What does that say about us, as a club, or the PL in general.

Do these kids honestly feel they have no chance of breaking through at our club, are they as good as we thought, or are they just impatient?

Meanwhile we are buying young foreign talent.

Last edited:
It’s a bit weird that Mukede, Griffiths and Bennetts (or even Edwards) our talked about promising youngsters feel the need to move to the German , French and Dutch leagues becuase they feel they have a better chance of making it into the first team in a few years.

Do these kids honestly feel they have no chance of breaking through at our club, are they as good as we thought, or are they just impatient?

Fan demand for signings probably doesn't help. How much money did we waste on NKoudou when we could perhaps have given Edwards the relevant minutes instead considering how little NKoudou played?

How must CCV feel when he's our young youth product but we sign Sanchez for £40m who is two years older and Foyth who is a year younger?

The ceiling to break into a Prem side, especially a top 6 club, is soooo high. Kane is the exception, not the rule. Kane is genuinely one of the best strikers in world football. Most of your youth products will be lucky to be one of the bets footballers in the country let alone the world.

Winks, KWP, Kane around our squad and getting games is pretty incredible. Not many top clubs in this country have 3+ youth prospects playing or in their squad regularly.

Have a look at Bury Town's twatter feed (link above): if Lo Tutala is the keeper in the photo gallery, I'd say he had a mixed afternoon.

He dropped a catch he probably should have held, which led to him fouling the Bury forward for the late (and, ultimately, decisive) penalty. Earlier in the half, he rushed out to meet a long ball, but the Bury forward got there first and was unlucky to miss with his lob.

Other than that, he made a couple of decent, though pretty routine saves, but didn't really have that much to do due to Spurs having the bulk of possession.

That said, he appeared very comfortable with the ball at his feet and worked well with the defence when playing out from the back.

Sorry I can't offer more in depth analysis.

Thanks a lot mate and yeah it's him in the picture.

The age many players are breaking through to being a PL regular is now probably about 21/22 (gone are the days when Beckham, Rooney or Ledley King broke through at age 19) whereas in much of continental Europe its still common to break through at say 19 - I'd guess its probably because the PL is a league with not only more physicality but more intensity that players need to be older.

Todays kids are possibly more impatient to 'have things now' but also if I were a 19 year old looking at another 3 years to possibly break through into PL or go abroad and become a first team regular now, I think I know which way I'd jump.

The reason why PL clubs are buying foreign talent is that the 'foreign talent' has more experience than our UK talent - even if the uk talent has more potential.

Both fans and clubs will need to change their outlook to allow uk kids to play at say age 19 in PL (or even championship) putting up with some inconsistent young players if things are going to change.

All of the above are probably legitimate reasons, depending on the player.

But PL clubs' perception of the 'risk' of playing youngsters really needs to change IMO. Would Onomah have done any worse than Sissoko in his first few weeks? Would Edwards (or whoever) have done any worse than Nkoudou? KWP any worse than Aurier? That's £67m+ we spent on players when we had youngsters who were A) free and B) would now have developed to a point where we could usefully use them or sell on for big profit if they were not going to make it with us.

All of the above are probably legitimate reasons, depending on the player.

But PL clubs' perception of the 'risk' of playing youngsters really needs to change IMO. Would Onomah have done any worse than Sissoko in his first few weeks? Would Edwards (or whoever) have done any worse than Nkoudou? KWP any worse than Aurier? That's £67m+ we spent on players when we had youngsters who were A) free and B) would now have developed to a point where we could usefully use them or sell on for big profit if they were not going to make it with us.
I agree, that's 67m we could have avoided spending, and I'm sure Levy is aware of it too. The Academy is his baby, he specced it out before he'd even heard of Poch. I imagine he gets a huge amount of satisfaction, and not just over the finances, when we find a Kane/Winks/KWP etc.

I agree to that it's the clubs' perception of risk that is the problem. But you can see why they are so risk averse (although I think they're wrong). While a club owner might not want to spend £20m for example on an overseas player, that's nothing to the hit that that club takes from relegation. Take last 2 seasons - every club outside the top 6 has been shit scared of relegation at some stage. Saints finished well 2 years ago, then crashed and almost went down. Everton looked strong ditto, but without Fat Sam they would have been in the mix. Burnley did well last season, but the one before they were down there. B'mouth have had 3 seasons in PL now, 2 strong positions, but there have been times when the vultures have been circling. Wet Spam - gifted a "Stadium" for buttons but last 2 seasons they've been close at times. West Brom and Stoke went down, yet they'd had a series of strong finishing positions and seemed settled.

And it's the same with the top 6. They're not going to get relegated, but for the 5 who don't win the title, they HAVE to finish in the top 4 for the CL money, brand exposure (yuk), shirt sales in Outer Mongolia etc. Chavs and Goons missed out last season - both booted out the managers.

Chavs and Citeh have to be the worst examples. They've been the best Academies in terms of cups, but feeble at bringing the players through.

We've been OK, but could have been so much better. KWP should have got way more game time last season, and if not with us then surely a loan would have been better. But I can see why Levy/Poch spent a net -£20m on Aurier having lost Walker for a ton of cash. Hopefully Aurier is better than last season, KWP also gets some quality game time, we can offload Aurier for more than we paid and we've got 2 great English RBs in KWP and Tripps.

But at Spurs the risk factor isn't going away, and with the new stadium to pay for it's just going to get worse. I'd like Poch to have been bolder with KWP and Edwards. And played Josh in his best position where he could be an outstanding MF for years. At least CCV was getting first team game time at Ipswich (btw I think his best asset is his attitude, I don't see him as ever being a Spurs regular).

Maybe there's a succession plan as long as your arm. Maybe we reckon that we'll lose Sanchez to Barca in a couple of years for megabucks, but we'll have the likes of Tanganga and BLF coming through. Our MF could be made up of the likes of Winks, Josh, Amos and Skipp. Maybe Troy P will progress and get a decent loan in a couple of years, or better. But it's all ifs and maybes.

Griffiths is the sort of big time Charlie that it's hard to keep, but if we're losing others that don't have that attitude then that's more of a worry. Even some of the loans could have been much better handled; Pritchard to Pulis' West Brom, and Josh to Bruce's Villa????

We really can be much bolder than we've been recently.

Hoping to see Georgiou start on the left tonight, Eyoma would slot in so seemlesy to the back four so would be great for him to get minutes. Hopefully Skippy and Marsh get substantial minutes also.

Hoping to see Georgiou start on the left tonight, Eyoma would slot in so seemlesy to the back four so would be great for him to get minutes. Hopefully Skippy and Marsh get substantial minutes also.

I think Poch will start what he thinks is his strongest team so for the forwards in a 433 it will be Moura and Son either side of Llorente.

However if Poch wants to give Son a run out as the centre forward in case Harry Kane isn't selected against Newcastle (too tired, injury or no pre-season etc) then I'd hope Georgiou gets the nod over N'Koudou (who I cannot see staying as he's an overseas trained player who we have an excess of regardless of footballing ability) and its Mours and Georgiou either side of Son. A forward line of 3 genuine speedsters could be very interesting.

Think the only way Eyoma starts is if Poch wants to go 3 at the back - otherwise he'll likely go with Sanchez and Carter-Vickers, although I'd like to see Eyoma get some reasonable playing time off the bench.

I really cannot see past Skipp and Amos with the experienced Eriksen as a midfield - although I'd like to rest Eriksen to prevent burnout and only play him maybe 45 minutes, which maybe gives Marsh a chance.

Eyoma is very highly rated, yes?

I was more impressed with him yesterday than I've ever been watching CCV at professional men's level.

Looked comfortable on the ball. Two footed. Strong. Relatively quick. Got a gem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom