Wig On @ home

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the state of the game is to blame for booing. Remember, no one boos their team off for a loss, but the level of effort.

And that level is defined by what we know they are capable of. Picture this, you are skint, your job sucks and your life is a battle financially. You spend 50 quid to go and support your club - and if buying a ticket is not supporting I dont know what is - and from the first minute, the players play like shit.

After half an hour of it, you dont really feel like bellowing out "OHHHH TOTTENHAM WE LOVE YOU". So the performance and the fans feed off eachother. But in your mind, you just spent way too much money on today.....and some of that is going towards these players obscene wages.

I dont boo, but I certainly dont care about it hurting the players feelings.

No, what we need it do is to improve on the deficiencies from the end of last season. It was argued that we needed stability and to keep building on what we had accomplished, which was a fair point.

The boo boys wanted change last May, and they got it, but now they dont want to give the new regime a chance.

My assessment now!

Get it out of my system, my fiancé has had enough of me moping about the house!

I also took my Bristol rovers mate as I'd gone to see afc Wimbledon v the gas last Tuesday which he described as the worst he'd seen rovers. He was buzzing for today's game and expecting a footballing lesson after watching league 2 crap! Ah well, he said he wants to come back to the lane!

I was initially so pissed off with avb that I wouldn't have minded seeing the headlines when I got home that he'd been let go...but my anger calmed down and now I'm glad he's still our boss!

He has annoyed me that he a) took Defoe off, b) played friedel c) didn't bring falque on

But that's about it. We had a VERY bad day at the office, worst I've seen for a while.

Ok, so we lost at home to Wigan, we always have one of those results every season, if its not the latics, it's stoke or similar?!

This has to be the last though, we need to step it up, rest players like walker and bale and Lennon, am sure we will have enough quality to beat Maribor by playing falque and sig from the start.

Still beind avb and Freund! Coys....never boo or jeer!!!!

This idea that footballers are paid a large amount means that they somehow owe us one and must perform to the very highest standard in every single game is, to me, absolute horseshit.

If you go to the theatre or the cinema you expect a product of a certain standard. If you do not get what you pay for you have a right to complain and criticise. But football is different. It is a sport.

It is a conjecture by some that if we have a slow game like yesterday then it must mean that the players are all just putting their feet up and having a laugh. Unfortuately football is not like that. It is a sport. Simply because one team has better players than the other it does not mean that tactically the other team may be better on the day and our team may be struggling to find form. It has happened before and it will happen again. Hell, Chelscum, who are arguably a much better side than they were last year, and in much improved form, coud only scrape a draw yesterday against Swansea. It just happens sometimes because it is SPORT, not a product.

When you buy a ticket for a match you are fully aware that it is a sport, that said sport is played by human beings and that we may not win or play well for the day. Nobody has forced you to buy the ticket. You should support your team whether you've paid out or not. If we are floating around the relegation zone I can just about see the argument for being silent or booing, since a team's place in the league could be in jeopardy. But when you are a top six team aand have just come off of a string of league wins it is absolutely preposterous for some spoiled baby fans to declare that they have the right to behave in whatever way they see fit because they have handed over their money. Tired of seeing the players look tired and not get to grips with a particular team? Support them anyway, they're playing much better football in toto than what we used to see at WHL and the very fact that they have just come off of a string of league wins means that they have earned the right to be supported by their fans and for that 12th man to help them get back into the game.

Fuck anyone who operates with a sense of entitlement just because they hand over their money. It stinks of a combination of jealousy over footballer's wages and the detestable "I come first" attitude that so pervades 21st Century culture.

Maybe we need a couple of shit seasons so we can weed a lot of these booing cunts out.
I was about to wholeheartedly agree with this....

....until I realised that the level and consistency of booing means that some of the boo boys will be season ticket holders, and I think it's fair to say that a large chunk of ST holders will have been fans for a good few years. That is very, very worrying IMO. I just don't get how so many fans have gotten sucked into this moaning culture. We've had a tough run of it, being in the scum's shadow, for decades now. But there wasd never this much fucking moaning. Can it be that even long term fans have gotten sucking into this expectation of success as well?

Terrible, terrible atmosphere at the Lane as you all know. The guy sitting 3 seats down from me (a ST holder) was screaming "Fucking hell, Dempsy!", the player being his new hate object now that Saha is gone. Ye, like that's gonna stir the fire in his belly, well done...

Heard the boos at half time, I knew it would be coming, had a sinking feeling of despair about that. But boo-ing a tactical substitution? That was a surprise. It was not as though JD was having the game of his life and maybe the substitution was dubious, but how many of these guys booed at Redknapp's many guffs when substituting players?

These fans take the first opportunity to jump on AVB's back, and I am sad to say that I think they will get their way and get AVB the sack unless he has a blinder every game till the end of the season. It only takes 1 league loss for Alan Hanson to say we're having "a poor run of results, and it's how quickly we can get out of the malaise", and even Lineker saying "The jury's out" on MotD after a run of ONE league loss and us sitting in fifth in the league.

I wouldn't say no at at all.

Are you sure about that?

Personally, the thought of coming so far from the early 2000's teams and the days of genuinely wondering if we'd ever beat Liverpool, arse, Chelsea or Utd in our lifetimes, to the the party years of Jol, to the CL run in under 10yrs was a real achievement for the club.

Going backwards now, and the subsequent fall out in the papers, and from Scum and Chelsea fans, along with ANOTHER manager sacked would be incomparably devastating to a few cunts turning up at WHL.

The "I payed lots of money for the ticket and therefore I have the right to boo" argument is a weird one. There are thousands of fans around you who payed the same amount, who have the right not to have their visit to WHL being ruined by miserable ***** too.

Terrible, terrible atmosphere at the Lane as you all know. The guy sitting 3 seats down from me (a ST holder) was screaming "Fucking hell, Dempsy!", the player being his new hate object now that Saha is gone. Ye, like that's gonna stir the fire in his belly, well done...

Heard the boos at half time, I knew it would be coming, had a sinking feeling of despair about that. But boo-ing a tactical substitution? That was a surprise. It was not as though JD was having the game of his life and maybe the substitution was dubious, but how many of these guys booed at Redknapp's many guffs when substituting players?

These fans take the first opportunity to jump on AVB's back, and I am sad to say that I think they will get their way and get AVB the sack unless he has a blinder every game till the end of the season. It only takes 1 league loss for Alan Hanson to say we're having "a poor run of results, and it's how quickly we can get out of the malaise", and even Lineker saying "The jury's out" on MotD after a run of ONE league loss and us sitting in fifth in the league.
Somehow I doubt Levy will let the fans or media dictate his decision whether or not to hold onto AVB.

Harry had his doubters. AVB has his doubters.

Fact is there is no handbook on supporting Spurs.

One guy I play football with we go a goal down his head goes down. I'm the opposite.

It's the same at a Spurs game. If we go a goal down after the initial moment of shit, my immediate reaction is to say come on you spurs and believe we can get a goal back.

We have been booing at games for years. I don't think you can overlook a lot of ST holders who loved Harry and saw AVB as a joke at the Chavs.

I don't think football is just a "sport" for some it's more of a religion and that can breed all types of crazy.

I'm off to church now.

The "I payed lots of money for the ticket and therefore I have the right to boo" argument is a weird one.

I think the whole booing/support/atmosphere is a weird one. Its all quite idealist on some level.

I mean when you read the anger and comments in match threads during the game, what would change if you were in the stadium?

Suddenly I wouldnt be shouting "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE"? I would be all calm and collected and shouting "Well played" and singing my lungs out?

Doubt it.

I think the whole booing/support/atmosphere is a weird one. Its all quite idealist on some level.

I mean when you read the anger and comments in match threads during the game, what would change if you were in the stadium?

Suddenly I wouldnt be shouting "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE"? I would be all calm and collected and shouting "Well played" and singing my lungs out?

Doubt it.

I'm not saying it's not ok to be angry or shout spontanously, but there's a difference from booing your team IMO.

It's got to the stage when I am thinking I won't renew my ST, and it's not the players or the manager making me feel like that, it's the booing... I don't want to be surrounded by such negativity for the team I love.

(Of course when it comes to it I probably will renew)

Whoever said that the standard of play on the field and the booing feed off each other is right, it becomes a spiral of negativity that leaves everyone feeling miserable.

This not booing thing is getting pretty sanctimonious now. Some of the negativity on here is no better than booing and thinking it is, is blinkered at best. The podcast of this very forum referred to one of our players as a "prick" this week. I'd never do such a thing, don't understand anyone who would, but realise each is entitled to their opinion.

I won't tell anyone how to support their team, all I ask is nobody tries to tell me either. I don't boo, but feel very entitled to vent my spleen at the gutless shite that was served up yesterday.

This not booing thing is getting pretty sanctimonious now. Some of the negativity on here is no better than booing and thinking it is, is blinkered at best. The podcast of this very forum referred to one of our players as a "prick" this week. I'd never do such a thing, don't understand anyone who would, but realise each is entitled to their opinion.

I won't tell anyone how to support their team, all I ask is nobody tries to tell me either. I don't boo, but feel very entitled to vent my spleen at the gutless shite that was served up yesterday.
But is there not a difference between venting after the match and doing so during the game itself?

The players aren't going to go in and half time to load up TFC and see which of us have been having a vent. But they are going to hear (or not hear!) the silence from the crowd and then the booing. I don't think it's correct to say that nobody should feel frustrated or have a whinge when the final whistle goes. But while you are there in the crowd you get behind the team and manager and do not stay silent and then boo them half way through the bloody game.

Anyone who does not grasp the idea of support in the face of adversity to try and lift a team needs their head examined. It's been proven to work in the past. Like I said before, this idea that the crowd is entitled to be miserable and create a horrible atmosphere is nothing more than the self interest of individual consumer mentality that is turning the game from a sport into a product.

I don't see why it's so hard for some people to support their tea,m and then have their whinge afterwards when the final whistle has gone.

Back
Top Bottom