Man Citeh (Away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's right though, City's tactics didn't help and they stopped us playing our game. The fact they set up in fear of us is saying something no??

But City's tactics was to relentlessly attack us, for over an hour, not let us break out, and hammer down the door until we buckled twice. It worked.

What did we do to win the game after Hudds near miss on about half hour? AVB says its a pity we got nothing.....I think nothing is exactly what we deserved.

But City's tactics was to relentlessly attack us, for over an hour, not let us break out, and hammer down the door until we buckled twice. It worked.

What did we do to win the game after Hudds near miss on about half hour? AVB says its a pity we got nothing.....I think nothing is exactly what we deserved.

No, we didn't create much but Bale forced Hart into a couple of saves. We were set up to play on the counter attack, just like we were in all our other away games. Apart from a couple of lapses we actually defended well too. Kept shape, held our line well catching them offside a number of times.

Looking at the possession stats and the shots on target etc. then perhaps they did deserve the win, but it was a pity in the manner it came after holding them to just scoring once for pretty much the entire game. I'm sure I said it before in this thread that if at 1-0 we would have thrown players forward in an attempt to get a second goal we would have got picked off easily and they could have scored a couple more.

With the players we had missing and the injury(ies) we suffered in the game, it was a battling and valiant performance from the team against what was a superior team. We're not playing the greatest football I've seen a Spurs team play right now but we do have our hands tied a little bit currently.

They pressed high up the pitch. Our centre backs didn't have time to pick out passes, always hounding us in possession. This is why we panicked on the ball a lot more than normal. They even changed formation in the second half which stifled any threat we had down the wings. Kolarov played as an "attacking" player when really he's a left back so they could double up on Lennon when we had the ball. When you force the opposition into longer passes there is more chance of losing the ball I would suggest.

Everyone has mentioned how our ball retention wasn't up to standard, just possibly the above could explain why.
Isn't all the stuff you mentioned what you are supposed to do when you play football - ie - if you haven't got the ball, get it back, and do so before they get it close to your goal to have a punt? It always was when I used to play. I don't see it as a tactic per se, as simple common sense. If kolorov was playing left back, and then started getting into attacking positions, surely he would have gone past Lennon, and therefore left space for him to run in to, rather than any kind of doubling up?

The only change I saw in city's game was that when they noticed that we seemed limited in our attacking aspirations, they upped the tempo and seemed less worried about our breakaway counterattacking, which was probably due to Bale's rather aimless attacking efforts.

The biggest influence on the game was the persistant approach of putting Gallas under pressure, which then became much greater when Dawson was put on, apparently to play in Gallas' area of the pitch, which to me resulted in both of them leaving Dzeko to each other.

If we had simply played with 9 defenders from the start maybe they would have been more comfortable with each other before City noticed we weren't overly keen on coming out of our own half.

Yeah it is, but you have to do it as a team. City did this very well for the whole match. Not all teams can sustain this pressure, I would liken it to Barca and how they play.

Kolarov played ahead of Clichy, so everytime Lennon got near the ball he had to beat two men. If he came inside they had Barry and Toure to block him off.

Agree that Bale was 'aimless' in his attempts when attacking. He was our best outlet and we needed to get the ball to him quickly so he could attack a yellow carded Zabaleta one against one, which we didn't do enough, especially in the second half.

No, we didn't create much but Bale forced Hart into a couple of saves. We were set up to play on the counter attack, just like we were in all our other away games. Apart from a couple of lapses we actually defended well too. Kept shape, held our line well catching them offside a number of times.

Looking at the possession stats and the shots on target etc. then perhaps they did deserve the win, but it was a pity in the manner it came after holding them to just scoring once for pretty much the entire game. I'm sure I said it before in this thread that if at 1-0 we would have thrown players forward in an attempt to get a second goal we would have got picked off easily and they could have scored a couple more.

With the players we had missing and the injury(ies) we suffered in the game, it was a battling and valiant performance from the team against what was a superior team. We're not playing the greatest football I've seen a Spurs team play right now but we do have our hands tied a little bit currently.

I know what you are saying but we do the same against shite teams, and get battered for large spells too. It wasnt like we play attacking football at home, picking up results against everyone else, then we tried something at City, but was eventually undone by their superiority.

This is us. This is how we play. This is our tactic to every league game, home or away, regardless of opposition, and by and large, it's not working.

Thats my concern. I dont believe we are playing to the best of our abilities, or playing our strongest team, despite injuries.

I am seeing a favoured formation being chosen, despite not having the players to make it work.

Funny you should say that, as I am an irrepressably cheerful chap, thanks for noticing.
I'm not an ignoramus, which seems to set me apart from you - something I am happy about.

Don't be a cunt Harmer, it's not big and it's not clever.

I was talking about the city game, and yet you (for some bizarre reason) seem to think you can counter the argument with memories of the united game - how does that work? Can I quote incidents from the 67 cup final to make my point?

Well seeing as I was talking about THIS spurs team, and how they have been playing THIS season, I think I was making a valid point. But clearly you need to resort to keeping things strictly to the City game to win your argument. What a sad narrow minded little man you must be.

I remember positives, like when we had Bale and lennon, given the ball in space and time to run at defences, and my point was that its a struggle to remember when they did that AND RAN INTO THEIR PENALTY AREA, STILL IN POSSESSION OF THE BALL, against city - who, you may be delighted to learn, I was aware are the current holders of the league title.
They are also recognised as being a shadow of the team they were last season, particularly defensively

They have been noted as being weak from set pieces, oh look we scored from a set piece. And let's not be over the top about their weaknesses. Let's look at City's league form.

Played 11, won 7, Dran 4, Lost 0

Lost 0

And just so that sinks in....

Lost 0

Now let's narrow that down to their home form shall we...

Played 6, Won 5, Drawn 1.

Lost 0

So let's not exaggerate City's deficiencies and realise that actually yes they are a fucking good team. And the only undefeated team this season in the premier league. To underestimate them is folly.

yet our team seemed reticent about going at them, in the way that we know they can - with the players we have at our disposal. You may recall maribor and Wigan doing the same to us, despite (on paper) having vastly inferior sides.

Is that our game? has it EVER been our game?

I can recall Dembele having some ordinary performances for us this season, a casual skim through my post will confirm that I didn't say poor - although I agree that equating some of his performances to Dempseys was OTT. Neither of the QPR or Villa games were particularly outstanding displays, competent and quietly effective, without ever being inspirational. If however you see him as the messiah, then good luck to you, and your lofty aspirations.

Hold on a moment...

Which Dembele are you thinking about, there seems to be 2 -one who plays for fun, and the one who gets the same gear that Dempsey's doing.
I guess there are 3 now, Anderton Dembele as well.

So are you saying that Dempsey has been and I quote: "Competent and quietly effective" ? Or are you saying that Dempsey is as injury proned as Darren Anderton even though he has been at the club less than three months?

And competent and quietly effective is fine by me, as long as he is creating chances, and actually allowing us to maintain a tempo and keep possesion then I am quite happy, he doesn't need to be Pele or Messi. We just need a metrenome to keep our midfield ticking and allow the likes of Lennon and Bale to get into the game. You know a kind of Luka Modric type role.
You display an outstanding naivety in your understanding of how Football is played. It's not all about dribbling into the opposition box at every opportunity. This isn't boys in the park with jumpers for goal posts. Teams need to be able to get possesion and keep it. They need a good skillful midfield to be able to do this, especially against teams like Manchester City, who if allowed to dominate the middle of the park will be able to wear you down and then bring on top class forwards who can punish tired legs and heads.
Spurs had no outlet, no way of linking defence to attack. And was this because AVB decided not to play certain midfielders? no, it was because he was not ABLE to select certain midfielders.

If you believe my opinions to be bullshit, then fuck knows what kind of hogwash you are prepared to swallow. My recommendation would be to put it on your rhubarb though.

I'm certainly not going to swallow your "hogwash" or your cretinous attempts to lower this argument into a personal bitch fest.

Well seeing as I was talking about THIS spurs team, and how they have been playing THIS season, I think I was making a valid point. But clearly you need to resort to keeping things strictly to the City game to win your argument. What a sad narrow minded little man you must be.

They have been noted as being weak from set pieces, oh look we scored from a set piece. And let's not be over the top about their weaknesses. Let's look at City's league form.

Lost 0

Lost 0

Lost 0

So let's not exaggerate City's deficiencies and realise that actually yes they are a fucking good team. And the only undefeated team this season in the premier league. To underestimate them is folly.

Hold on a moment...

So are you saying that Dempsey has been and I quote: "Competent and quietly effective" ? Or are you saying that Dempsey is as injury proned as Darren Anderton even though he has been at the club less than three months?

And competent and quietly effective is fine by me, as long as he is creating chances, and actually allowing us to maintain a tempo and keep possesion then I am quite happy, he doesn't need to be Pele or Messi. We just need a metrenome to keep our midfield ticking and allow the likes of Lennon and Bale to get into the game. You know a kind of Luka Modric type role.
You display an outstanding naivety in your understanding of how Football is played. It's not all about dribbling into the opposition box at every opportunity. This isn't boys in the park with jumpers for goal posts. Teams need to be able to get possesion and keep it. They need a good skillful midfield to be able to do this, especially against teams like Manchester City, who if allowed to dominate the middle of the park will be able to wear you down and then bring on top class forwards who can punish tired legs and heads.
Spurs had no outlet, no way of linking defence to attack. And was this because AVB decided not to play certain midfielders? no, it was because he was not ABLE to select certain midfielders.

I'm certainly not going to swallow your "hogwash" or your cretinous attempts to lower this argument into a personal bitch fest.

Lost 0

Lost 0

Lost 0

Hold on a moment...

wow - I'm a cunt , talking bullshit - and am being cretinous, and I'm the one making it a bitch fest?

I'm a narrow minded little man? I made a comment about the way the game played out and you started talking about another match- and you wonder why I poked fun at the argument ?

I have been playing and watching football for enough years to be comfortable with my understanding of the game, and I'm bright enough to know how to work out the quality of the people I have discussions about it with.

You don't reach the qualifying standards.

Enjoy your life, I'm sure it makes you proud.

0330_bored-listener_650x455.jpg

I have been playing and watching football for enough years to be comfortable with my understanding of the game, and I'm bright enough to know how to work out the quality of the people I have discussions about it with.

Yup. Can't win an argument, so decide not to take part in order to make it look like you won. Well done big man.

Applause.gif

sammyspurs sammyspurs I have the same concern about this sitting back and giving the other lot space philosophy. It isn't something we just did at City and United. We do it home against QPR as well.

I've been thinking about our demand for attacking football at Tottenham. We obviously don't always get it, but it's an ideal we aspire to, whenever it comes up in discussion, the majority of Spurs fans reject sustained success if it comes at the expense of attacking football. I mean, it's written in big letters on our stadium, the players see the mantra whenever they raise their heads.

So while we don't have a God-given right to see our team play adventurously, any Tottenham manager will be scrutinised in this regard, it's just the way it is.

At the moment I think AVB is so scared of losing any individual game that he might just end up sealing his fate. It's a gamble to play this way when we're still gonna lose games regardless.

Yup. Can't win an argument, so decide not to take part in order to make it look like you won. Well done big man.
I'm more than happy to paticipate in discussions about Spurs and football. If you feel that you were winning the argument, why did you have to resort to throwing insults? I wasn't trying to compete with you, I'm not trying to defeat you in battle - this is a vehicle to express opinions, and as such there is no win or lose.

You do things your way, I'll talk to people who want to talk objectively and can do so without throwing expletives and insults. I know your level - you have said enough for me to work out what you are.

I'm more than happy to paticipate in discussions about Spurs and football. If you feel that you were winning the argument, why did you have to resort to throwing insults? I wasn't trying to compete with you, I'm not trying to defeat you in battle - this is a vehicle to express opinions, and as such there is no win or lose.

You do things your way, I'll talk to people who want to talk objectively and can do so without throwing expletives and insults. I know your level - you have said enough for me to work out what you are.

Ahhhhhhhh I see, so you are happy to ignore all the objective and reasoned arguments I made in my posts because I responded to YOUR insulting behaviour. Clearly you cannot respond to my arguments, or you already would have done.

:walkerwtf::lloris::gylfi:

Ahhhhhhhh I see, so you are happy to ignore all the objective and reasoned arguments I made in my posts because I responded to YOUR insulting behaviour. Clearly you cannot respond to my arguments, or you already would have done.
OK, I said that Dembele was either good or ordinary, I stand by that.
I said that it was difficult to remember seeing a Spurs player carrying the ball into the Man city box during sundays game, you stated that they were last seasons champions and that we did it several times against Man Utd. You also attempted to belittle me by constructing an argument I hadn't offered, and then beating me to death with it.

You then started telling me not to act the cunt because I ridiculed your response, I had stated that I thought little of your aspirations if you thought Dembele was the answer to our problems and you said that I knew nothing about football, you then posted a rant where you kept repeating that no team had beaten city at home or defeated them all season, and repeated it in large font several times (I always love that shouty, repetitive methodology in an argument) and then because I said I wasn't prepared to continue discussing things because you were being insulting and obnoxious, you then went off on one and started posting gifs of clapping actors.

I haven't really insulted you at all, if the truth be known, and if you believe that I have, then you have a very low threshold to pain where insults are concerned. What you have a problem with is people disagreeing with your opinions on footballing matters, and when they are questioned - you blow up and start posting insults.
You don't respond well to people making jokes about your opinions either. I did that because I thought it was less offensive than calling you names. Most of the adults I hang around with take the mickey out of each others footballing opinions (when they don't share/agree with them) routinely in conversation, and no-one gets the arseholes with each other. You don't work that way. Like I said, I know what you are now, and I see little point in discussing anything with you, particularly as you believe that the discourse is a battle and that you are winning it.
You like pictures. We'll call it a draw....
knight3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom