Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch has been fighting against the odds for 4 years. He has done a remarkable job with what he has had to work with. But let's face it there is nowhere left for him to go with us. He has reached the ceiling. Levy will not back him with big transfers.

If he wants to go to Real in the summer I would wish him well. It's a big rebuilding job there too as it was when he came to us. But it would be a new challenge, fresh environment for him. We will most likely appoint someone like Eddie Howe who will be happy to join an elite club even if he has to work within Levy's financial constraints.

Life goes on

Not really sure I agree.

I think the squad is more than capable of winning a trophy under his tenure. Win the league? With the squad we have? Might be a big ask and of course he'll need backing, but to say there is nowhere left for him to go with us is a bit silly.

He's also raised the profile of the club - so even if he does leave, I think we're at the biggest we've been in decades that we'd able to bring in a much higher profile manager than we ever have in the past. I think we could do a little better than the current Bournemouth manager..

Real Madrid sacked that bloke nobody ever heard of before ...great now it's gonna be poch this and real that...i hope he stays with us but I must admit to being a bit concerned...

Either he stays or he goes, but there is little point in panicking. He didn’t leave Soton in mid-season, he’s unlikely to do so with us, either. And it’s not like Real Madrid can afford to buy him out given what Levy would demand in return.

End of season, maybe. But there’s no evidence we need to freak out now.

When does the manager become accountable for the deficiencies in the team?

Not injuries, not signings, not other teams spending, but the same group of players playing worse football than we used to.

Yesterday aside it was a decent show.
But how many weeks can we waste chances? When does the manager wield the axe or do what it takes to make players realize it’s not ok?

When does he implement our pressing game again?
When does he stop sitting slumped in his chair like a moody Jose man child and start bellowing from the touchline like he used to?

There will be hysterics and denial, but deep down I think you probably all know that the tosspot Klopp would have this same squad tearing the shit out of teams.
So it is possible. It is possible because Poch himself has done it with this squad.
So what gives with regression in our style of play?
Why have we gone from beating relegation fodder 7-1, 4-1 regularly to scraping wins with them coming away unlucky to have lost?

The training was too much and we are knackered? Where the rumours about players complaining that the regime is too tough and causing injuries true after all?

I want to know when we entertain a situation where people are comfortable question the managers part and stop wrapping him up in cotton wool.

When is Poch part of the problem?
And when does the stage come where people accept he needs to improve and it’s not all just the players and Levy’s fault.

So think about that because I think you all know it’s valid. See you in a couple months.

Last edited:
Poch has been fighting against the odds for 4 years. He has done a remarkable job with what he has had to work with. But let's face it there is nowhere left for him to go with us. He has reached the ceiling. Levy will not back him with big transfers.

If he wants to go to Real in the summer I would wish him well. It's a big rebuilding job there too as it was when he came to us. But it would be a new challenge, fresh environment for him. We will most likely appoint someone like Eddie Howe who will be happy to join an elite club even if he has to work within Levy's financial constraints.

Life goes on

Agreed.

If Pochettino wants to move let him go. Last season's cup losses exemplified that.

I feel he still has something to prove to show he is as good as the very best managers and to this date he has NEVER had to deal with the biggest egos and the biggest expectation of the media and the fans

I am very calm about it.

My biggest question on Pochettino is if he was given the money to buy 3 players and keep the players he wanted whether he would know what type of players to buy and then would he be tactically astute enough to deploy them accordingly or change it on the pitch when it mattered?

I feel they are still burning questions which I am not sure he would pass as yet.

It's easy and right to say show me the money but it's also show us the consistency of prevailing in the biggest games or at least not often losing.

When does the manager become accountable for the deficiencies in the team?

Not injuries, not signings, not other teams spending, but the same group of players playing worse football than we used to.

Yesterday aside it was a decent show.
But how many weeks can we waste chances? When does the manager wield the axe or do what it takes to make players realize it’s not ok?

When does he implement our pressing game again?
When does he stop sitting slumped in his chair like a moody Jose man child and start bellowing from the touchline like he used to?

There will be hysterics and denial, but deep down I think you probably all know that the tosspot Klopp would have this same squad tearing the shit out of teams.
So it is possible. It is possible because Poch himself has done it with this squad.
So what gives with regression in our style of play?
Why have we gone from beating relegation fodder 7-1, 4-1 regularly to scraping wins with them coming away unlucky to have lost?

The training was too much and we are knackered? Where the rumours about players complaining that the regime is too tough and causing injuries true after all?

I want to know when we entertain a situation where people are comfortable question the managers part and stop wrapping him up in cotton wool.

When is Poch part of the problem?
And when does the stage come where people accept he needs to improve and it’s not all just the players and Levy’s fault.

So think about that because I think you all know it’s valid. See you in a couple months.
When does the chairmam / owners become accountable for the deficiencies in the team?
Whe every team around us spend big bucks improving their squad, and we spend absolutely fuck all, isn't it reasonable to ask questions of them?

Last edited:
My biggest question on Pochettino is if he was given the money to buy 3 players and keep the players he wanted whether he would know what type of players to buy and then would he be tactically astute enough to deploy them accordingly or change it on the pitch when it mattered?

I feel they are still burning questions which I am not sure he would pass as yet.

It's easy and right to say show me the money but it's also show us the consistency of prevailing in the biggest games or at least not often losing.
Have to agree.

Let’s say he got his main men Grealish, Shaqiri, Ndombele, and Sessengon, for a cool 120M. Brilliant window right?
And we had shipped out Dembele, Davies, and Llorente as requested by the masses.

But where do the masses think those players would have us right now?
How would we be setting up?

Pochs reputation of getting the best out of very little is in danger right now and he needs to earn his pay rise. He’s getting cautious and boring to be honest.

Our CM pairing needs to be Winks and Sissoko next PL game. I bet Dier starts though. That’s not picking your form team.
People can kid themselves all they want last night about Dele and Eriksen being too injured to play. Eriksens been back in training for weeks and had his 30 minute trial against PSV.
Should have started last night, and that’s all there is to it. His injury was in his abdomen so all this pitch crap is nonsense.
Dele can clearly manage more than 17 minutes too.

Poch is running out of invention.

Last edited:
When does the chairmam / owners become accountable for the deficiencies in the team?
Whe every team around us spend big bucks improving their squad, and we spend absolutely fuck all, isn't it reasonable to as questions of them?

But we’re moving the discussion on John...the window is done.
That’s wasnt Pochs fault.

But the window isn’t the reason he’s abandoned our pressing game.
Where would we be now with Ndombele and Grealish? You think it would make a massive difference?

Where’s Llorente and why don’t we use wing play when he comes on?

You think if we have Poch 100M he’d make no mistakes? He’s playing Kane on his own on the halfway line yet he’s the slowest player in the PL. why isn’t he using Kane like he used him 3 years ago?

Why don’t you see the regression in our style of play as the managers fault? It’s the same players.

"The circumstances that happened in the last years, I think the club is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games"

Mauricio Pocchetino confirms what I and the other horsenoshers have been saying for years.

Last edited:

Where would we be now with Ndombele and Grealish? You think it would make a massive difference?

You think if we have Poch 100M he’d make no mistakes? He’s playing Kane on his own on the halfway line yet he’s the slowest player in the PL. why isn’t he using Kane like he used him 3 years ago?

Why don’t you see the regression in our style of play as the managers fault? It’s the same players.
'See you in December'

:harrylol::harrylol::harrylol:

"The circumstances that happened in the last years, I think thr club is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games"

Mauricio Pocchetino confirms what I and the other horsenoshers have been saying for years.

I’ve already addressed that and said it’s clearly about signings.

What has that got to do with Kane’s roll changing or Poch abandoning our pressing?

If the board cannot commit to backing him then they are really pushing their luck. If he does go and i mean if (i certainly don't want him to) I think we should have a serious look at Chris Hughton.

I'm just interested to see wether you're unequivocal endorsement of ENIC and Levy have changed since the summer.
Do you think Poch received the backing he deserves? Or do you now agree with me he was fucking shafted.
Personally I find it difficult to criticise a manager who is constantly forced to work with his hands tied behind his back by a regime that is far more interested in profit and long term financial gain than winning football matches and titles.
Thats all

I'm just interested to see wether you're unequivocal endorsement of ENIC and Levy have changed since the summer.
Do you think he received the backing he deserves? Or do you now agree with me he was fucking shafted.
Personally I find it difficult to criticise a manager who is constantly forced to work with his hands tied behind his back by a regime that is far more interested in profit and long term gain than winning football matches and titles.
Thats all

I don’t think he was shafted.....I think he’s wanting his cake and eat it.
He claims we tried our hardest, then he says what he said yesterday on the day of the game.

If that was Jose, you’d say say he’s hanging out the players to dry hours before a big game.
Poch may be losing interest in his project due to signings or due to the fact that Real Madrid need rescuing.
You do the maths.

Point is, that he’s contradicting himself about 10 times since the summer, and this was a man that used to be humble and happy and was happy to spout a mantra of “doing it differently” to City etc.

He also mentioned the new ground as a big hindrance.....remember when you said Wembley was “next level”? We can all be wrong John..

Anyway I got sucked in.
Not you John as you can talk about things you are not comfortable about.

But the children are out and that’s means a ban for not towing the party line.

So I’ll be off now, enjoy talking about signings for another year and all agreeing that’s the only reason our game is off.

Back
Top Bottom