Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dembele, Wanyama and Dier all out injured until new year.

Something tells me we might just be seeing a bit more of young Oliver Skipp.

I thought he had a steady game yesterday and Poch must have been pleased with him

Dembele, Wanyama and Dier all out injured until new year.

Something tells me we might just be seeing a bit more of young Oliver Skipp.

I was thinking the same thing. Oliver has 4-5 games to muscle his way in the same way Winks, Foyth & even Kane & Bale did. Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if he comes in, plays. Aturally and shows his stuff and completely eradicates this feeling that we need more cover in that area of the team. I'm backing him all the way.

I wonder what Troy Parrott is thinking at the moment... got to be eyeing up a couple of places on the bench towards the end of the season after seeing his academy teammate taking his bow

With our injuries in midfield we may see Oakley-Booth get a look as well. Even if just for the bench and some cup games

It's a good point.

I haven't read Poch's book since it first come out but isn't there a mention of Onomah in there? I can't remember if it was particularly positive or not but I just get the impression that if you've somehow managed to piss Pochettino off) - I remember stories of Onomah acting big time Charlie after winning the World Cup (whereas KWP didn't).

I just think he's probably lazy in all honesty. As Guido posted above, I don't think he works as hard as he should to make it a club our size. Whether he got complacent after getting 19 games for the first team in 2015/2016 - I don't know. But something changed because he was the one Poch was leaning towards. Remember Onomah is YOUNGER than Winks, yet it was Onomah getting all the game time. Within 2 years, Winks has overtaken him, started at the Bernebau and the Nou Camp and Onomah is struggling to start games away at Rotherham.

Edwards is done. Let's be honest. Flopped hard at Norwich. Can't even get in the team over at Excelsior - there's no way back for him now in my opinion. He'll either be flogged in the summer to the highest bidder or sent back out on loan to a club of his choosing. I think Onomah MAY still have a future but this summer is a huge one for him. Knuckle down, work hard, impress in training, do well in pre-season (if he's selected) and you never know.

Worth pointing out that its not unusual to find that a lot of youngsters who look good at the age of 18,19.or 20 do not make the step up for a whole variety of reasons.

If you look up E u21 squads from a few years ago, some times NONE of the players are playing in the PL or championship, in many years its just a few of the 22 man squads. And the E u21 squads should have most of the best English players in it.

So no surprise that some of the best looking Spurs youth players equally don't make it through to the first team (remember John Bostock and Dean Parrott for example). But with the quality of players we have in the Academy it would be good if we got one or two a tear into the first team - but that would be better than almost any other PL team has achieved, other than Man U under Fergie who brought a lot of pretty average players through their academy who played useful roles as squad players, along .with a few genuine stars such as Giggs, G Neville, Beckham, Scholes etc.

Talking about kids supporting the club. They join up so early nowadays unless they are in a family of football supporters who take them to games at a young age and indoctrinate them, I would expect them to end up supporting the club they are training with. In fact at such a young age I think it would be difficult for them to openly support any other team. They need to be dedicated and if not perceived to be 100% behind the club they would be in danger of being dropped by the coaches. Also if a kid supports a club, his first choice to join will be that club and unless rejected will not go to another.
What I am saying is that it should be no surprise those coming through from the Academy are Spurs supporters.

One thing I loved about him on Saturday was the way he was constantly looking for the ball and constantly pointing out to much older and more experienced team mates where to pass to. Also his timing of runs looks very good and he certainly doesn't hold back in the tackle.

I can't wait to see more of him.

Bournemouth at home on Boxing day could be another good outing for him. Looking at our run of fixtures I can see a couple of chances, such as vs. Fulham (away), Newcastle & Leicester at home (hopefully in the new gaff) with some minutes off the bench in some of the other matches. Exciting times for the lad.

After having watched that video, so able to focus on him, I think Skipp is quietly impressive. He’s clearly a little young, but, clearly also knows what he’s supposed to be doing. Given time to finish developing physically and with regular minutes in matches he could seriously anchor our midfield for many years.

He’s likely not quite there for another couple of years, but I do think the hype is justified.

Interesting dilemma for the England youth selectors at the next international break (which I'm sure WindyCOYS WindyCOYS will enjoy).

Skipp has not been called up by England youth for a couple of years (no idea why not, but obviously some coaches will have preferred other youngsters) but its almost unheard of for a youngster to start to play in PL for a top 4 side without England having a good look at him - and Skipp would, under usual age criteria, usually be looked at for the E u19 squad. But very few if any of them will have made their debut.

So England coaches could be torn between saving face by putting him into E u19's or even looking to see if they want him to replace Lewis Cook (out for season with ACL) in England u21's as several others of Cook's likely replacements are either injured out of form (eg Liverpool player recalled from Rangers where Gerrard is not playing him !).

Might depend on how many games Skipp is involved in as next international break is March if I'm not mistaken ?

Back
Top Bottom