Liverpool At Home

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

#AVBout? :baletroll:

It's funny how under AVb we seem to go in fits and starts. One period of total shit, then a decent run, shit, then run and so it goes on.

Not compplaing if it nets us fourth though. :thumbup:

Was there and missed MOTD :(.

Dempsey and Bale dives? FK deflection?

Lennon and Walker had great games, Bale too. Dembele offers so much. Sandro not quite at his beastly best...

Though the first 25 mins we played how we should do for 90 mins every game. The Spurs way.

Then we sat back as per, which is annoying. But I think we fought and held on well. The high line is worrying though given that our CB's are all slow and we have to rely on Walker to sprint back (given he's often quite far forward), and he isn't always switched on.

Take it though!

Atmosphere wasn't all that given we were 2-0 up at home and it was under the lights. Had its moments, but very flat/dead for majority.

Bring on Fulham, good away day and let's hope our old pal Jol does us a favour.

That was one of the squeeky bum games, the pressure from the front was reassuring....and the offsides kicked in again. I think the players have a belief but lets not say to much just yet. I think less greed in this team could do us well, the only thing is apart from egos some of the team have been togther a while so they may not care if they piss there mates off.

I hate it when we score early. We hardly ever kill of games so we spend the rest of the time changing our boxers.

Very much needed win.

I thought this game provided an immediate example of Caulker's value. Throughout the game, but especially in the second half, Gallas and Dawson's inability to hold on to or pass the ball calmly hurt us.

In one sequence the two CB's had the ball halfway inside our half, spaced about 10 yards apart: Dawson passed to Gallas, who passed to Dawson, who passed back to Gallas, who passed back to Dawson [Gallas points and waves], then Dawson passed it to nowhere and Sterling picked it up and ran at us. It was embarrassing.

Was there and missed MOTD :(.

Dempsey and Bale dives? FK deflection?

Lennon and Walker had great games, Bale too. Dembele offers so much. Sandro not quite at his beastly best...

Though the first 25 mins we played how we should do for 90 mins every game. The Spurs way.

Then we sat back as per, which is annoying. But I think we fought and held on well. The high line is worrying though given that our CB's are all slow and we have to rely on Walker to sprint back (given he's often quite far forward), and he isn't always switched on.

Take it though!

Atmosphere wasn't all that given we were 2-0 up at home and it was under the lights. Had its moments, but very flat/dead for majority.

Bring on Fulham, good away day and let's hope our old pal Jol does us a favour.
Contact on Dempsey but went down easy. Definitely a small bit of contact on Bale's foot, only he knows if that actually sent him down. At full pelt it may well have. No deflection on the free kick, just insane swerve.

I thought Gallas was awful, I think his time is up. Dawson's defending was agricultural but it was necessary given the pressure we were under. Row Z took a pounding.

I liked Joe Allen, he dictated a lot of their play. Surprisingly, AVB didn't put a man on him as that's where a lot of their attacks started. Wished we attacked their left side more, Downing was there for the taking.

Walker appears to be getting some of his old form back, thought he had an easy game against West Ham but weathered the storm last night.

Aaron Lennon, na na, na na na, Aaron Lennon, na, na na na!

Dembele is getting back to full fitness, looked knackered but did ok. Some of his passing was off but that's understandable.

Vertonghen was getting doubled up on, not sure if that was because Bale was indisciplined? In light of that, I think Verts did ok.

Overall, a win is a win, Spurs have never been a team to keep the intensity up for 90 minutes. Liverpool will be even more dangerous when they add some cutting edge to their play. Spurs are still missing Parker, Kaboul, Adebayor and BAE. The signs look pretty bright in what is a season of rebuilding for us.

Signs are there for us to really kick on and put a decent run of results together. Started great, very similar to United away, putting them under pressure from the start. It's just a shame that we don't seem to maintain that pressure, I guess that's something that will come along with time.

Gallas was awful. Everytime the ball went near him I had a heart attack. Hate to say it because he's had some monster games for us but he needs to go or at least be benched for some considerable amount of time. Fuck, I'd rather have had Ryan Nelsen playing instead of Gallas last night...

Bale was phenominal, getting better and better as the season goes on. He's really adapting to this free role he's been given. That's what having a great manager does! Lennon back to his 'swag' best. Running at defenders and causing so much trouble. Would of been good to have utilised that more in the second half as Downing was woeful defensively.

Just happy to get the 3 points.

Fulham will be well up for it, what with us taking Dempsey and the Moose. This isn't going to be an easy one by any means...

COYS!

I thought this game provided an immediate example of Caulker's value. Throughout the game, but especially in the second half, Gallas and Dawson's inability to hold on to or pass the ball calmly hurt us.

In one sequence the two CB's had the ball halfway inside our half, spaced about 10 yards apart: Dawson passed to Gallas, who passed to Dawson, who passed back to Gallas, who passed back to Dawson [Gallas points and waves], then Dawson passed it to nowhere and Sterling picked it up and ran at us. It was embarrassing.

I think it highlights why we need Verts at CB. He's not frightened to take the ball forward and play from the centre. Can't wait for Benny to get back

Last season I remember going to the Lane and often watching Spurs coast to a 2-0 or 3-0 victory on a regular basis. I remember leaving the Villa game thinking "I kind of miss the days where we used to hold on to a win, and made everyone really nervous". Well it's back this year!

I genuinely think Gallas' time is up. Once Kaboul and BAE are back, there's no reason to ever play Gallas again, but even until they are, I'd without question rather play Naughton at left back and put Vertonghen into the middle. Hopefully Caulker is back for Saturday though, and Dawson can play with Caulker again. I'd also think about bringing Huddlestone in for Dempsey at the weekend and let Dembele play a bit further forward. Our ball retention is poor and I think that change might help us.

Still, 3 points, onwards and upwards....

I reckon BAE would have had a tough time too. At least one yellow against Sterling.
Vertonghen did well, I thought - he was being doubled up on.
Can't agree with you there, BAE is easily best equipped to deal with that kind of winger. He's easily the best LB in our squad and he's played against similar in the past and come through with flying colours.

Back
Top Bottom