"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After Harry Redknapp ripping into Gary Neville after his comments about Spurs, Neville felt the need to come out and defend himself on the subject. He doesn’t believe Spurs are in the title race because they don’t have the squad to compete.
Having “no” squad depth, and pundits playing that song like a fucking broken record really winds me up.
Sure, we would love Messi on the bench to call upon when needed, but we don’t, who does?
Have any of these pundits actually seen our injury list? Yet here we are, sitting either 4pts, 5pts or 7pts of the league leaders pending Monday night football.
If Neville’s honest opinion was that he thinks City or Liverpool have that little points cushion, are getting the rub of the green with injuries and have a favorable run in then I could accept his opinion on the subject.
Another thing, instead of just banging on about not spending money and we don’t have a squad to compete, why not actually compliment us on actually just keeping pace with the “ supposedly shit squad we do have” highlighting the injuries we actually do have.
I’m no expert here, but I can assure anyone with as much confidence I can possibly muster, that if Liverpool, had Salah, Ferminho and Mane missing for long periods, nearly always missing one of their back 4 week in week out, Including VVD occasionally, playing their home games at the Millennium stadium Cardiff they would be hanging on to a top 4 spot at best.

#he’s Magic you know #COYS

I agree that there's something contradictory in saying we don't have the squad, when results would beg to differ at a time when our squad has been hugely stretched.

That said, I have a lot of time for Neville compared to vast array of talking heads on the telly. Unlike almost all of them, he's always seemed to me to be a straight shooter, simply calling it as he sees. Clearly and for obvious reasons has a bias for United, but I don't see it having effected his observations on them or other teams. For me, he doesn't have a bias, pro other teams or anti-Spurs as others do. Even if I don't agree with him on this one.

I agree but Liverpool are a Van Dijk or even a Salah injury from being in a bad place.

Klopp is struggling a bit. You can sense that. He will know but not say how important them winning today is. A draw means 4 points dropped in 2 games and that City can go top on Wednesday. Psychologically that would hit Liveroool hard.

It's City who will be harder to reel in if Liveroool falter.

We are the big outsiders but I would be absolutely staggered if we were not within 3 points of whoever is top if we win our next 3 games.

At that stage we would nearly also be assured of a top 4 finish in my opinion.

I keep seeing people say Van Dijk and Salah. The worst player for them to lose would be Firmino. By some distance. Everywhere else on the pitch, it's to some degree a matter of next man up, but they have no one else who's capable of performing the role, Firmino does for them. In fact, it'd be a double whammy for them, because it might well necessitate them moving Salah from his best position to a false 9, so it'd be losing a player and half.

Come to think of it, I'd also put Allison ahead of VVD and Salah, especially if it's late on in the season. I don't think Mignolet is quite as bad as his rep, but just the storyline, given history, would mean that nerves would spread across the backline at a crucial time :lamelashock:

I keep seeing people say Van Dijk and Salah. The worst player for them to lose would be Firmino. By some distance. Everywhere else on the pitch, it's to some degree a matter of next man up, but they have no one else who's capable of performing the role, Firmino does for them. In fact, it'd be a double whammy for them, because it might well necessitate them moving Salah from his best position to a false 9, so it'd be losing a player and half.

Come to think of it, I'd also put Allison ahead of VVD and Salah, especially if it's late on in the season. I don't think Mignolet is quite as bad as his rep, but just the storyline, given history, would mean that nerves would spread across the backline at a crucial time :lamelashock:

Sorry mate but I think you are way way off there.

Van Dijk and Salah would be huge losses for them.

It's just about perceptions of what they would mean.

Last edited:
I agree that there's something contradictory in saying we don't have the squad, when results would beg to differ at a time when our squad has been hugely stretched.

That said, I have a lot of time for Neville compared to vast array of talking heads on the telly. Unlike almost all of them, he's always seemed to me to be a straight shooter, simply calling it as he sees. Clearly and for obvious reasons has a bias for United, but I don't see it having effected his observations on them or other teams. For me, he doesn't have a bias, pro other teams or anti-Spurs as others do. Even if I don't agree with him on this one.

He did that until the United job became available - since then he's been a right cunt trying to unsettle our club

Fair enough, it's hard to argue against the defensive improvement since Van Dijk and Salah's numbers. And with the dippers being lucky enough that all three has been ever-present, there's no history to go on. I just happen to view Firmino's overall movement and play to be absolutely crucial to their attacking flow and in opening up space for Mane and Salah, but I fully expected and respect that most will view it differently, even if I'm not so impressed by such a cocksure way way off statement :dembelewtf:

Van Djik is the one they can not afford to lose.

They have people to score goals. They really started to turn it around when Van Djik came in from Southampton. He solidifies their back line, and now with Gomez out for surgery losing Van Djik would be an even bigger blow.

He did that until the United job became available - since then he's been a right cunt trying to unsettle our club

He's paid to have an opinion on football talking points. Among those who should be the next United manager, which was a huge topic for a while, prior to OGS catching fire.

He's stated his opinion that they should go for Poch, which is completely in line with him praising Poch to the heavens prior to this.

Had Poch ruled himself out of the United job, and Neville still went on about it, then I'd agree, he was looking to unsettle us. As things stand, not so much.

Edit: As I said in my first "Neville-post", a lot of the cunts on the telly does have an agenda imo. And it has us seing ghosts where there aren't any. A lot of people are saying very good things about our team and club, in amongst the bullshit. We should be careful not to create our own "victims" situation imho.

Last edited:
Speaking of excuses, as some have, I don't really want religion to have an effect on the very end of the title race, but it just is a fact, which will come into play. Ramadan starts on May 5th at night this year. Meaning that Pool will have Salah, Mane, Keita, and Shaqiri with no intake since sunrise (I'm assuming they're adhering to it) for the last matchday, potentially also the second-to-last in the unlikely scenario that they get moved to Monday night.

Anyone know how much effect it has on performance with modern sports science?

Speaking of excuses, as some have, I don't really want religion to have an effect on the very end of the title race, but it just is a fact, which will come into play. Ramadan starts on May 5th at night this year. Meaning that Pool will have Salah, Mane, Keita, and Shaqiri with no intake since sunrise (I'm assuming they're adhering to it) for the last matchday, potentially also the second-to-last in the unlikely scenario that they get moved to Monday night.

Less chance of them being poisoned by lasagne.

I think that athletes can, and do get, exemptions.
That is certainly the case in the Olympics, PL I don't know.

Hmmm, I suspect, you're correct. But getting an exemption and wanting one is two different propositions.

Based on what I've seen and read about Mane and Salah, I'd be incredibly surprised if they're not religious enough to adhere no matter what. Keita and Shaqiri, I've got no ide.

IIRC Mido's performances used to go dramatically downhill during Ramadan...or maybe I am thinking of Kanoute? I would imagine it depends on how religious they are personally. Sure they can get exemptions but at the end of the day it will be up to them and if they are very pious they may not want one.

Stunner-at-the-bar looked impressed with the flashy, dodgy-looking young bloke from Manchester with the bling and the wad full of cash yesterday, even though she has to admit he lacks the charm and wit of the ageing drunk. Tonight another charmless cunt with an indecipherable accent will attempt to impress her. He looks maybe a bit nervous. Let's see what he can do.

I believe Salah fasted last year but broke his fast on the run up to the CL final on advice from the club medical team.

So wouldn't be surprised if the same advice is given again if the dippers are still needing points in the final few games.

I've read about how footballers deal with fasting in the past and i get the impression its not that big a deal as long as they make sure their routine is adjusted accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom