Supporting Tottenham in the 60s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Following on from the photo on the 'retro' thread of Robertson,Gilzean & Greaves there were a few comments regarding Robertson and the deal with woolwich now as interesting as that was,I'm maybe way of the mark but the guys who commented I take it were there us during the 60s? With the exception of 64/65 season every other season during that decade we won something.....what was it like being a Tottenham fan in the 60s? great players,great era.......but was it.

Following on from the photo on the 'retro' thread of Robertson,Gilzean & Greaves there were a few comments regarding Robertson and the deal with woolwich now as interesting as that was,I'm maybe way of the mark but the guys who commented I take it were there us during the 60s? With the exception of 64/65 season every other season during that decade we won something.....what was it like being a Tottenham fan in the 60s? great players,great era.......but was it.
I like the idea of this.

It was a bit before my time but I was thinking, what did people think of the (very) slow decline of those times.
The break up of the double team and the players brought in.

63-64, 65-66 (in effect 3 seasons with 64-65)68-69 season we didn't win anything either,

First went in 69-70 so not really qualified to comment but the older people i went with couldn't help comparing all the mid sixties players with the double side. It's why Alan Mullery got grief as did Terry Venables. It is quite incredible for me to think that it was only 8 seasons later than that great side when i went. I often wonder what odds you would have got that we wouldn't win the league in 49 years!

I started in 1967 and didn't go to my first game until 1969, so don't think I can add too much to this, unfortunately. Although I went to games in the 70s, I didn't become a regular/season ticket holder until the 80s, which was when I started to go to away matches. The first half of that decade was fun.

I went to my first game in 68, dad brought me. What was it like? Was the question from the OP? Bloody great as far as my old man was concerned, despite what anyone says the double team of 61 were the greatest team these isles have ever seen.
Some of the greatest students of the game have mirrored these sentiments.
I've seen Jimmy Greaves, Alan Gilzean, Dave Mackay and PAt Jennings play, what the hell would I know!

I started in 1967 and didn't go to my first game until 1969, so don't think I can add too much to this, unfortunately. Although I went to games in the 70s, I didn't become a regular/season ticket holder until the 80s, which was when I started to go to away matches. The first half of that decade was fun.
Pretty much this was me too

First games in '66 honestly can't remember them ... first real memories were away at Chelsea 2-2 in '68 it was hot and I got very bad sunburn ... In '68 was going to home games regularly, always went to the bottom of the East stand (avoiding the sea of piss) wouldn't see my dad from kick-off until the end ... we used to meet up by the old East Stand tunnel entrance lower left. Did that through the redevelopment in the 70's when we moved to the shelf, then when seats came in we moved to the South East corner.

Superb. I remember legging it from work to get to Danny's testimonial game in the early 1990's and there was hardly anyone there. Was v Northern Ireland, midweek and wasn't a great turn out. Seem to remember Gazza doing something odd with a penalty kick. A few years later we were getting 35,000 for meaningless friendlies so it was a shame that Danny's game wasn't as well attended.

Superb. I remember legging it from work to get to Danny's testimonial game in the early 1990's and there was hardly anyone there. Was v Northern Ireland, midweek and wasn't a great turn out. Seem to remember Gazza doing something odd with a penalty kick. A few years later we were getting 35,000 for meaningless friendlies so it was a shame that Danny's game wasn't as well attended.
I was at that. Gazza stuck one leg behind the other to take the penalty,he also came out for the 2nd half wearing Clown boots.Good night as it goes.Think that would have been 1990?!
As i was still living at home

Veneables replaced John White, so hence the grief he got.Thats what i got told anyway

I was at that. Gazza stuck one leg behind the other to take the penalty,he also came out for the 2nd half wearing Clown boots.Good night as it goes.Think that would have been 1990?!
As i was still living at home
Agreed, our double side were the best team ever in Great Britain and to try and live up to them must have been hard.
I knew Gazza had done something silly. Just checked my records and it was indeed 1990 (May 1st) dreadful attendance of 6,000 odd. As i mentioned earlier our crowds did improve for those games but this was unforgiveable.

Agreed, our double side were the best team ever in Great Britain and to try and live up to them must have been hard.
I knew Gazza had done something silly. Just checked my records and it was indeed 1990 (May 1st) dreadful attendance of 6,000 odd. As i mentioned earlier our crowds did improve for those games but this was unforgiveable.
I was the only one out of all the lot i went with at that time that bothered,and there was a lot of us.Not sure why that was,as we werent a bad side and finished 3rd and Danny was an iconic player.

I was the only one out of all the lot i went with at that time that bothered,and there was a lot of us.Not sure why that was,as we werent a bad side and finished 3rd and Danny was an iconic player.
Yes me too and as i alluded to earlier i was supposed to be working but legged it to Liverpool St and had 12 minutes to wait for a Hertford East so had a couple of pints. Got to WHL and thought it had been called off. Hardly anyone around.I stayed till 60th minute or so then got the good old 279 outside the bell and hare, tube from 7 sisters and was back in work for 10. No other bugger bothered.

First games in '66 honestly can't remember them ... first real memories were away at Chelsea 2-2 in '68 it was hot and I got very bad sunburn ... In '68 was going to home games regularly, always went to the bottom of the East stand (avoiding the sea of piss) wouldn't see my dad from kick-off until the end ... we used to meet up by the old East Stand tunnel entrance lower left. Did that through the redevelopment in the 70's when we moved to the shelf, then when seats came in we moved to the South East corner.
you started going in 66? Then you were DEFINITELY way too old to have that perverted avatar for so long

Only went to 2 games in the sixties as I was too young to get there on my own and needed someone to take me. We won both though. When I got a car and passed my test started going regularly at the start of the seventies. That is the time I remember most.
The thing that many newer fans will find it hard to believe is the lack of information in the early sixties. On Saturdays there was the scores for the pools on TV and if you missed that it was difficult to get the result until the next day's newspaper.
On weeknights you were lucky to get the results at the end of the late news but at my age I had to miss that and wait for the next days Newspaper. I remember one day for some reason I asked my Mum to write down the score of the match. She wrote Spurs 2 Cardiff 3. Losing a match at home to Cardiff, couldn't be true and I was convinced she got it wrong. However when I finally saw the result in the paper it was correct. Just shows how the confidence levels were so much higher in those days. Every season I thought we had a good chance of winning the league.
When I now look back now perhaps with the players we had we should have won the league more than once in the sixties.

Just before my time. Started following the fortunes of the mighty Lilywhites in (Feb) 1968 buy i was only 7 and living in the far East so didn't really start ''supporting' the team until around 1970/71 and went to my first game in 1972.

Back
Top Bottom