Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund, Champions League - Last 16 - First Leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't see anything negative in the press attributed to Ian Wright about HK - all I saw was him on TV being complimentary. Hence my suprise

That bogus criticism of HK for costing us the semi for not playing Sterling in (when the pass was nigh on impossible considering there was 2 maybe 3 players in close proximity to him) stems from his punditry.

Even here, I saw his comments cited in order to legitimise a posters comments on the matter, a stance in turn defended by the argument that "Wrighty" is even handed with us.

Fuck 'em all (media Goons that is)... There's a difference between genuine objectivity and projecting a little fairness in order to safeguard one's credibility.

Well he said that Kane was struggling in the quarter and semi final and suggesting that he had an injury, apparently he wasn't that impressed.

He did fade somewhat over the tournament. I have no issue conceding that much. However, he spent much of the tournament being physically shit-housed, yet still managed to put in some top draw performances in terms of work-rate, hold-up, allowing others to play their game, golden boot and not missing a single penalty (you know the one's he was ultimately mocked for scoring by the bitter jealous Brit oppo fans/media).

Arguably England's player of the tournament.... Trippier being the alt. argument.

Last edited:
That bogus criticism of HK for costing us the semi for not playing Sterling in (when the pass was nigh on impossible considering there was 2 maybe 3 players in close proximity to him) stems from his punditry.

Even here, I saw his comments cited in order to legitimise a posters comments on the matter, a stance in turn defended by the argument that "Wrighty" is even handed with us.

Fuck 'em all (media Goons that is)... There's a difference between genuine objectivity and projecting a little fairness in order to safeguard one's credibility.
No chance your view might lack a little objectivity at all?
Some of the rabid and often myopic bias on here is pretty laughable at times, the media bias thread being a case in point.
Even Jenas is now a Judas for having a non "rabid" supporters view of Sons penalty incident, and you deriding Wright because he had a view that wasn't total Kane centric. Thrown under the bus?

I'm Spurs through and through and love to see and hear good stuff about all aspects of the club and it's players, but I can accept the fact that people can have opinions that aren't Spurs centric or might be anti Spurs without having to declare the opinion heresy or the person voicing it the antichrist.
And we go on other sites and deride their supporters for doing what we do on here as a matter of routine.

No chance your view might lack a little objectivity at all?

Some of the rabid and often myopic bias on here is pretty laughable at times, the media bias thread being a case in point.

Even Jenas is now a Judas for having a non "rabid" supporters view of Sons penalty incident, and you deriding Wright because he had a view that wasn't total Kane centric. Thrown under the bus?

Foremost, I resent the outcome of Wright's comments considering they were bullshit.

Was Wright showing flawed analysis or lashing out through disappointment? ...In the interests of benefit of the doubt, would you prefer "inadvertently threw under the bus"?

I don't think Jenas is a "Judas" just a weak pundit that tows the studio line when he's in 'esteemed' company... This is an opinion that pre-dates the Son/Dive accusations btw.

I'm Spurs through and through and love to see and hear good stuff about all aspects of the club and it's players, but I can accept the fact that people can have opinions that aren't Spurs centric or might be anti Spurs without having to declare the opinion heresy or the person voicing it the antichrist.
And we go on other sites and deride their supporters for doing what we do on here as a matter of routine.

Do I think there's a game-wide conspiracy against us? Nope.

Do I think a shit ref performance equates to being 'on the take'? Nope.

Do I think us threatening established 'big team hierarchy' is of inconvenience to the Sky and the corporate element of the British game? Yep.

If you refute the notion that a section of the media thoroughly enjoy trolling us then fair play. I simply don't agree.

Do I have somewhat of a siege-mentality on this basis? Guilty as charged.

Kane was struggling and lethargic for all of the games after the group matches, an absolute shadow of his real self

IIRC, Harry was killin' it, hold-up/link-up wise against Sweden. Downhill in terms of energy/impact by the time we faced Croatia tho' admittedly.

Being playfully facetious here, but according to a broader sample-set than my personal opinon:

Kane: Poor - Stat padding penalty merchant.
Sterling: Villain.
Henderson: Shite.
Dele: Shite / injured / shite
Delph: Shite
Lingard: Shite
Rashford: Shite
Dier: Yay! Pen hero... Still shite.
Pickford: Penalty heroics, but a liabilty regardless.
Vardy: Manager seemingly thinks he's shite and reluctant to play him.
RLC: Shite... What's he ever done?

....How the fuck did we reach the SFs????

Tripper nearly won us the WC.

I tell you what, that black fabric is almost impossible to break through.. Plenty of stewards stopping one side getting past, didn't see too many stewards the other side.

The fact that it was blatantly blowing about in the breeze governed my attention throughout much of that clip...

You'd think they could muster something a little more formidable than a sheet and a handful of stewards to keep 3-5 thousand people away from our away-end supporters (and vice versa).

If shit got real; as a preventative measure it would be entirely hopeless.

Ian Wright is a good egg.

I imagine most people have seen it, but there's the video on Youtube of him being reunited with an old school teacher, one that helped him a great deal when he was at risk of abandonment. When he sees him, he immediately removes his hat. It's an extremely touching moment, that demonstrates how much respect he has for him and how grateful he is for everything he's done.

He then cries.

Like a big massive Gooner pussy.

OK, let's get it all out of the way first:

a) he only took his hat off, 'cos his ex-teacher had already taken off his...

b) Wrighty only cried 'cos the cameras were there...

and c) the ex-teacher probably 'touched him' during the '80s!!

...but other than that, and in all fairness, Ian Wright does come across as a genuinely humble guy who came from nothing, and made it big.

It's just a shame it was for THEM!

I actually like Ian Wright... as I say, it's just a shame he had so much success with THOSE cunts!

Lee Dixon would rather have his own balls served to him on a platter than admit that Spurs are slowly becoming a major player in Europe and England. Nearly threw himself out of the announcer's box rather than discuss Spurs being in the title race.
...and there would be a queue around the block with those only happy enough to serve them to him!!

Just re-watched the whole second half. Ugh, so good!!! Really hoping this is the "click" in our season.

Any coincidence that we played our best 45 minutes of the season with a packed out home advantage? Know people don't like Wembley but it helps the lads out massively. Home energy is so important and if people choose to believe or not we have a chance in the two biggest competitions in club football. If you can get over there, get over there

Back
Top Bottom