"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whatever happens, and particularly if we don't win the league, which obviously is extremely unlikely (but 6 points is 6 points), does anyone else think it would be kind of cool to go the whole season without drawing?

It would be great - as it means we'll probably smash our record points tally too by not dropping 2 points against lower clubs. (I can only really see us losing to teams in the top 6 from here on out)

Was at both home games when we played them. In my view, Liverpool are far better than Man City this season. I was a bit disappointed with the latter, they weren't that good and we should definitely have had a point against them. Liverpool will win the league, probably by at least 6/7 points. I just think they're a more potent attacking force and a 9 point gap is a big one now. Man City - unbelievable as it sounds - have had bad luck with injuries. KDB and Silva missing are massive blows for them.

Posted this back in December. Kind of pleased to be wrong, looks like the wheels are falling off for them (and Man City have key players back).

Posted this back in December. Kind of pleased to be wrong, looks like the wheels are falling off for them (and Man City have key players back).

Well actually..

Delph, Jesus, Stones, Mendy, Bravo, Laporte and Fernandinho all out injured for Man City.

Fernandinho missed two games in the league this season and Man City lost both of them...

Well actually..

Delph, Jesus, Stones, Mendy, Bravo, Laporte and Fernandinho all out injured for Man City.

Fernandinho missed two games in the league this season and Man City lost both of them...

True, but this all needs to be seen in the context of the team spending the GDP of a small nation on the squad.

does anyone else think it would be kind of cool to go the whole season without drawing

Not really! It's the media that treats it as some kind of wonder-statistic (it isn't). It's just a curio - a slightly peculiar anomaly.

Do you think the team and manager obsess about not drawing? They just want to win every game and get the three points.

I don't care how we amass the points, as long as we get more than 16 other teams.

Whatever happens, and particularly if we don't win the league, which obviously is extremely unlikely (but 6 points is 6 points), does anyone else think it would be kind of cool to go the whole season without drawing?
I do not, towards the end of all of the matches we lost and would have loved an equaliser and a point. With away matches at Chelsea, Liverpool and M City to come an away draw would be a good result. Would be much happier if we could go through the rest of the Premier league season undefeated.

Pochettino all but put an end to this thread on Saturday afternoon, if that wasn’t clear enough he said today we don’t have the mentality to win “must win games”, and you need that mentality to win championships, right now it may take 5 or even 10 years to get that mentality...
My worry is, the guy is clearly becoming frustrated with it all...He clearly knows what’s needed but I think deep down he knows he’s probably not going to get it anytime soon.
Every man has a breaking point and in a short blink of an eye your time may come.
You know before a ball was kicked at Burnley, he was probably thinking/planning out in his head that Chelsea & Woolwich are there for the taking, then see off Dortmund, Southampton at home should be straight forward, and then....boom, Cup final at Anfield......but Burnley didn’t go to plan (it happens) and all of a sudden the next 3 months for Pochettino has changed dramatically, and that can fuck with a mans head....even the coolest of heads!!
This man needs his players to rally now, starting with that share of shit tomorrow, followed by that other share of shite on Saturday......COYS!

I do not, towards the end of all of the matches we lost and would have loved an equaliser and a point. With away matches at Chelsea, Liverpool and M City to come an away draw would be a good result. Would be much happier if we could go through the rest of the Premier league season undefeated.
I think my point was a little lost here. Obviously I'd rather us be undefeated than not draw. I want us to do as well as possible! I suppose the geeky part of me just thought it would be an interesting bit of history if we did manage to avoid a draw for the whole season.

6 points with 10 games left to play is not a big deal, but most of the players don't seem to be in a right state of mind to make a challenge. I hope Kane coming back can galvanize their mindset and give them a push, he always seemed to believe in our chances when we were in a contention. Same with Alli.

6 points with 10 games left to play is not a big deal, but most of the players don't seem to be in a right state of mind to make a challenge. I hope Kane coming back can galvanize their mindset and give them a push, he always seemed to believe in our chances when we were in a contention. Same with Alli.

Well it is a big deal because Liverpool have got a much better goal difference so it’s effectively 7 points. We would pretty have to go on a flawless run now of 10 wins in a row and with Liverpool and City away still to play it’s not going to happen. We ain’t winning the title end of story.

It’s obviously a long shot, but crazy things happen in sports all the time. Call me deluded or overly optimistic, but we’re not done yet. Would I bet my next pay cheque on ya winning the league? No. But, I believe there is still a glimmer of hope.

P.s. this is my first post from a long time pedestrian at this place. Growing up down under with no family allegiances to any club, I had the luxury of “choosing” which club I’d support. After years of impartial appreciation of English football in general, it was Spurs that drew me in...so in January of 2002 I made the decision that I would have eyes only for Spurs from that point on. 17 years later and I honestly feel privileged that for what ever reason I felt the pull towards Spurs. I love the club, it’s history, it’s supporters and obviously the current team and manager are a joy to be associated with. I’ve taken great joy in indoctrinating my son too (as you can see in my avatar)...he is completely obsessed and I’m so proud!

So there you go, a brief background to my first post. Bring on Chelsea tomorrow morning (in Sydney).

COYS!!

Well it is a big deal because Liverpool have got a much better goal difference so it’s effectively 7 points. We would pretty have to go on a flawless run now of 10 wins in a row and with Liverpool and City away still to play it’s not going to happen. We ain’t winning the title end of story.
As if City and Liverpool are fucking God's teams or something. We ain't gonna win shit for as long as we don't believe in our chances.

This.

I would hope every single one of our players still believe. Otherwise things could get quite worrying in the race for the top four.

In all honesty, how are our players supposed to believe they can win without the supporters giving them the belief?

It starts and ends with what we can control as a fan base. We've got to start believing in the players and the club more for the mentality to shift. We have to believe we belong instead of this Spursy shit I hear or the whole never change Tottenham digs. Players will hear this kind of shit and it won't help confidence levels.

Got to start shifting our mindset if we expect the players to do the same as well

In all honesty, how are our players supposed to believe they can win without the supporters giving them the belief?

It starts and ends with what we can control as a fan base. We've got to start believing in the players and the club more for the mentality to shift. We have to believe we belong instead of this Spursy shit I hear or the whole never change Tottenham digs. Players will hear this kind of shit and it won't help confidence levels.

Got to start shifting our mindset if we expect the players to do the same as well

To be fair, our fan-base aren't the best and have gotten progressively worse along with our overall improvement but I also think the manager can help keep the players focused on that goal. Amazingly, I hear the word 'Spursy' used more amongst the Spurs fanbase than any other as if the club is some sort of meme. A shame really.

Poch told us this a couple of months ago...

Sadly, too many cunts wanted to mock him, slate the chairman or defiantly double-down behind their 'right to criticise'

:pochunimpressed:

"...As if players read or give a shit about social media etc."

Honestly, the self-serving ignorance of such comments is astounding.

Last edited:
To be fair, our fan-base aren't the best and have gotten progressively worse along with our overall improvement but I also think the manager can help keep the players focused on that goal. Amazingly, I hear the word 'Spursy' used more amongst the Spurs fanbase than any other as if the club is some sort of meme. A shame really.

Agreed in general, but THIS... x 1000000.

Makes me sick.

It’s obviously a long shot, but crazy things happen in sports all the time. Call me deluded or overly optimistic, but we’re not done yet. Would I bet my next pay cheque on ya winning the league? No. But, I believe there is still a glimmer of hope.

P.s. this is my first post from a long time pedestrian at this place. Growing up down under with no family allegiances to any club, I had the luxury of “choosing” which club I’d support. After years of impartial appreciation of English football in general, it was Spurs that drew me in...so in January of 2002 I made the decision that I would have eyes only for Spurs from that point on. 17 years later and I honestly feel privileged that for what ever reason I felt the pull towards Spurs. I love the club, it’s history, it’s supporters and obviously the current team and manager are a joy to be associated with. I’ve taken great joy in indoctrinating my son too (as you can see in my avatar)...he is completely obsessed and I’m so proud!

So there you go, a brief background to my first post. Bring on Chelsea tomorrow morning (in Sydney).

COYS!!

Welcome mate. This time last week I was sat by the opera house at dusk watching the fruit bats fly under the harbour bridge (blatant) - that is one goddam beautiful and friendly country you have there. Only thing I wasn't impressed with was the lack of any event from the Newy supporters branch for the Dortmund match (admittedly at 0700 but even so....)

Back
Top Bottom