Woolwich (h) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Nadir

It's been a pretty dire few weeks for Pochettino, this last seven days particularly bad with yesterday possibly the nadir.

For some peculiar reason, Poch persisted with the 3CB system that proved so ineffective, offensively and defensively, against both Burnley and Chelsea.

To compound the structural befuddlement, he selected Wanyama and Sissoko as a midfield double pivot. This is the most footballingly limited midfield combo we've seen since his atrocious Dier/Wanyama experiment at the start of 16/17.

There's mitigation for Wanyama, he's played a handful of games in the last two years, but to play him and Sissoko meant no tick tick control, fluidity and creativity from our midfield yesterday. Combined with the structure, it was an utterly baffling choice. The extra body in defence marking one Woolwich striker, the two narrow strikers, again, just ahead of a central ACM, all occupying that narrow congested sector of pitch.

It basically puts the entire burden of creativity on the full backs, and when those full backs are Rose, who rarely produces anything composed, and a Trippier who's been going through possibly the leanest spell of creativity of his Spurs career, it was a recipe for another pretty creatively defunct display.

This was a game of very little quality from either side. Woolwich seemed to get praised for merely turning up and parking a bus, but I don't even think they parked it great, we were just so devoid of inspiration and the ability to drive a game to, through and from midfield - to transition.

Their goal was a clusterfuck chain reaction that started with Kane inexplicably deciding to fuck about instead of getting a shot off, Sanchez making a pigs ear of nicking in to win a ball, Sissoko allowing Ramsey to waltz past him and have a free run to goal and rounded off nicely by Lloris having a sit down.

The second half just degenerated into a complete farce with Poch's comical substitutions and tactical musical chairs, which ended up with Rose trying, and failing horribly, to do his Moussa Dembele impression.

As with the Burnely and Chelsea games, the subs just made things worse not better. We became a confused and incoherent mess and as a result, they looked as much like getting a winner as we did. Why he didn't just take a CB off is anyone's guess. I mean what does say about the LWB when he feels he has to switch a CB out to LWB to improve the creativity? We ended up with our LB at CM, Our CB at Left Wing, our ACM as DM, lumping balls up to the Spanish Crouch.

If VAR was already here chances are we don't even get a draw out of this game. Neither team deserved to win it. Just as neither team deserved to win in on Wednesday.

Individual

Lloris - Poor on the first goal, great save for the pen.

Trippier - Overall he played pretty well, was far more involved than Rose for example, and was unlucky not to get an assist for a lovely free kick, but I was disappointed with his end product yesterday, wasted a couple of great situations second half.

Alderweireld - Another game where I thought he was less than perfect. But generally OK.

Sanchez - Like Trippier against Chelsea, I thought apart from his fuck up he played well defensively.

Vertonghen - Generally good game, and an absolutely outstanding block after the penalty.

Rose - Piss fucking poor, offered nothing as a WB all game then decided to play Moussa Dembele dribble roulette when moved into central midfield late on.

Sissoko - Another pretty poor game. A couple of forward surges where he ends up overrunning the ball and giving it away was the highlight. Piss poor letting Ramsey run off him for their goal, but did do well to chase down Aubamayang second half and take the ball off him. Also unlucky not to score.

Wanyama - Was equally unimpressive, but has barely played last two years, so hard to expect much.

Eriksen - I think this was actually his poorest game lately. Unlucky not to score, but just didn't contribute much else of tangible quality and wasn't involved enough either. Some of that was the lack of midfield and his tactical deployment, but not all.

Kane - Needs to stop trying to do his Messi impression and keep it simple when he's not up to match speed.

Son - This is the ying and yang of Son. A player capable of brilliant moments, but not a brilliant player. Can go games and periods like this, where he looks really fucking ordinary. Doesn't press well without the ball either.

Last edited:
Vertonghen MOTM.

Everyone else, meh.

We missed Winks and Dele.
It's become a sad state of affairs that I was actually disappointed and concerned when I saw that Winks wasn't in the team.
Really is a sad indictmemt of the way our squad's been neglected over the past couple of seasons

Scrolled down to Sissoko read the first line, binned this shite thread

If you can’t do it without an agenda, dont do it at all. All the while probably thinking Sessengon was like Messi today.

From the BBC
There were pluses for Spurs in the outstanding performance of Moussa Sissoko but they currently look a side short on spark

Plus every single Spurs fan I know, and 99% of people on here thought he was excellent.
Putting the goal on him while flippantly ghosting over it and heaping praise on Sanchez shows how out of touch you are.

Its boring and deliberately dishonest.

Nadir

It's been a pretty dire few weeks for Pochettino, this last seven days particularly bad with yesterday possibly the nadir.

For some peculiar reason, Poch persisted with the 3CB system that proved so ineffective, offensively and defensively, against both Burnley and Chelsea.

To compound the structural befuddlement, he selected Wanyama and Sissoko as a midfield double pivot. This is the most footballingly limited midfield combo we've seen since his atrocious Dier/Wanyama experiment at the start of 16/17.

There's mitigation for Wanyama, he's played a handful of games in the last two years, but to play him and Sissoko meant no tick tick control, fluidity and creativity from our midfield yesterday. Combined with the structure, it was an utterly baffling choice. The extra body in defence marking one Woolwich striker, the two narrow strikers, again, just ahead of a central ACM, all occupying that narrow congested sector of pitch.

It basically puts the entire burden of creativity on the full backs, and when those full backs are Rose, who rarely produces anything composed, and a Trippier who's been going through possibly the leanest spell of creativity of his Spurs career, it was a recipe for another pretty creatively defunct display.

This was a game of very little quality from either side. Woolwich seemed to get praised for merely turning up and parking a bus, but I don't even think they parked it great, we were just so devoid of inspiration and the ability to drive a game to, through and from midfield - to transition.

Their goal was a clusterfuck chain reaction that started with Kane inexplicably deciding to fuck about instead of getting a shot off, Sanchez making a pigs ear of nicking in to win a ball, Sissoko allowing Ramsey to waltz past him and have a free run to goal and rounded off nicely by Lloris having a sit down.

The second half just degenerated into a complete farce with Poch's comical substitutions and tactical musical chairs, which ended up with Rose trying, and failing horribly, to do his Moussa Dembele impression.

As with the Burnely and Chelsea games, the subs just made things worse not better. We became a confused and incoherent mess and as a result, they looked as much like getting a winner as we did. Why he didn't just take a CB off is anyone's guess. I mean what does say about the LWB when he feels he has to switch a CB out to LWB to improve the creativity? We ended up with our LB at CM, Our CB at Left Wing, our ACM as DM, lumping balls up to the Spanish Crouch.

If VAR was already here chances are we don't even get a draw out of this game. Neither team deserved to win it. Just as neither team deserved to win in on Wednesday.

Individual

Trippier - Overall he played pretty well, was far more involved than Rose for example, and was unlucky not to get an assist for a lovely free kick, but I was disappointed with his end product yesterday, wasted a couple of great situations second half.

Alderweireld - Another game where I thought he was less than perfect. But generally OK.

Sanchez - Like Trippier against Chelsea, I thought apart from his fuck up he played well defensively.

Vertonghen - Generally good game, and an absolutely outstanding block after the penalty.

Rose - Piss fucking poor, offered nothing as a WB all game then decided to play Moussa Dembele dribble roulette when moved into central midfield late on.

Sissoko - Another pretty poor game. A couple of forward surges where he ends up overrunning the ball and giving it away was the highlight. Piss poor letting Ramsey run off him for their goal, but did do well to chase down Aubamayang second half and take the ball off him.

Wanyama - Was equally unimpressive, but has barely played last two years, so hard to expect much.

Eriksen - I think this was actually his poorest game lately. Unlucky not to score, but just didn't contribute much else of tangible quality and wasn't involved enough either. Some of that was the lack of midfield and his tactical deployment, but not all.

Kane - Needs to stop trying to do his Messi impression and keep it simple when he's not up to match speed.

Son - This is the king and yang of Son. A player capable of brilliant moments, but not a brilliant player. Can go games and periods like this, where he looks really fucking ordinary. Doesn't press well, without the ball either.

Agree the CM position was ultra defensive and lacked creativity, but with Winks injured, Dier injured and Dele injured Poch didn't have too much choice unless Poch was going to give the inexperienced Skipp (probably more creative than either Sissoko or Wanyama) a start.

Lamela's often unfit and I'm not sure Poch really fancies Moura, although he did start the season well. so the forwards pick themselves - and in turn I think the absence of any real choice up front dictated that Poch went for a 3 CB formation.

Problem with the team/formation is there's not a lot of creativity.

Will be good when Dele, Winks and Dier are back.

It's become a sad state of affairs that I was actually disappointed and concerned when I saw that Winks wasn't in the team.
Really is a sad indictmemt of the way our squad's been neglected over the past couple of seasons
Winks is a really good player imo, I definitely don't mind him starting for us

I will not give ratings to players for this game. Because I think our underwhelming performance yesterday is more down to our quality and Poch's tactics than individual players' performance.

1. We failed to exploit the fact that they had a defensive liability (Mustafi). Their first choice RB is out and we should've at least tried to take advantage of that but we moved more centrally with Kane and Son up top.

2. Rose as a CDM. I know it might have changed the momentum a bit, but it was quite obvious that Rose didn't know what he was doing there (quite understandably so), and I felt it was an unnecessary gamble given we could have switched things up in other ways as we didn't have much time on our hands and players had to waste their time getting readjusted to the change. We also lost our possession a lot. The ball was in our half more than the other way.

3. Sub choices: I can't fathom why Poch persists with Llorente as his first sub. I think the idea is to use him as the target man to give more space to Kane but doesn't moving Son and Lamela to the wings (and moving Llorente up top next to Kane) make more sense and taking Rose off instead of putting him in midfield? We had 3 options who could play wide: Lamela, Son, Moura and like I've said with point #1, their RB was their biggest defensive liability. Why couldn't he let the players cut in that side?

4. Why two strikers up top? When we don't have a creative midfield and quality wing backs to provide crosses in the box? We've seen this happening, again and again. I know it's worked before more or less, but the important thing is it's not working right now due to our quality issues.

More on the players: Kane is not fully fit. I personally believe he indirectly contributed to their first goal by not taking a shot in the box and losing possession. He would've buried it easily if he was fit. But at this point, I think asking more from him is not fair or realistic. Poch should know this, and shouldn't put too much burden on Kane (even though this is what he wants) to finish everything and shouldn't be afraid of subbing him on at HT, or taking him off if necessary (he looked really knackered in the second half).

On Son: I don't like the idea that Kane and Son don't play well together. I refuse to believe this. Because the idea is too devastating and doesn't reflect the fact that they've played together fantastically in the past. I think this is more down to our lack of a creative CDM and our overall quality in midfield.

Eriksen: Some speculate that he has one foot out the door and it's reflected on his recent performances but I don't think this is the main reason why he's underperforming. Similarly to Son's situation now (in that they should play in their preferred/different positions to shine), he plays much deeper with less freedom and it's hindering his play a bit plus, I genuinely think he's just out of form. He pulls out of challenges too much which quite frustrated me while watching the game but he's been always this way even before all the talks of him taking off and seems to be part of his style of play.

Rose: I know he can be good, but he has some areas that are quite lacking in my opinion. Crossing, passing, decision-making (he doesn't seem to know how to pick out a player in a good position to pass the ball to, too often.) He's fast and he should take more advantage of that but he hesitates too much or tries to dribble past players himself instead of passing it to other attacking players in time. He's often the furthest player in the final third, but by the time he makes the decision to give the ball to someone else, the opponent's defenders are already behind the ball and space has closed up.

Same . Sissoko was very good (as almost always this season) and our only outfield player that was any good. But we do need some new CMs, I dont feel terribly comfortable seeing Dier, Wanyama, Skipp in the team. Winks in a 2 also very flimsy. Very poor decision letting Dembele go or at least not loaning him back for the rest of the season.

Nadir

Individual

Sissoko - Another pretty poor game. A couple of forward surges where he ends up overrunning the ball and giving it away was the highlight. Piss poor letting Ramsey run off him for their goal, but did do well to chase down Aubamayang second half and take the ball off him.

Son - This is the king and yang of Son. A player capable of brilliant moments, but not a brilliant player. Can go games and periods like this, where he looks really fucking ordinary. Doesn't press well, without the ball either.
Bla bla bla nothing more

Lloris - 7 - good save from the penalty
Tripper - 6 - defended well and recovered from the Chelsea OG
Toby - 6 - didn't do anything wrong
Sanchez - 3 - probably his worst ever game, did the basics wrong
Vertonghen - 7 - match saving block on the penalty rebound
Rose - 5 - massive effort but minimal quality
Wanyama - 4 - sadly finished at this level
Sissoko - 6 - another player who put in a huge shift but simply lacks quality
Eriksen - 5 - still struggling to affect games
Son - 5 - couldn't get into the game
Kane - 6 - incredibly rusty but was never going to miss that pen

Lamela - 5 - put himself about
Llorente - 3 - just fouled

The lads put in massive effort and the way the game ended will hopefully restore some confidence and pride, but we need to sort out our midfield and team structure ASAP. The lack of a true CDM in the team is killing Eriksen, he is having to come so deep and cover spaces defensively that he simply isn't able to do. Sissoko can cover the grass but he can only react, he doesn't anticipate danger or really know where to position himself as a defensive midfielder. As soon as Dier and Dele are available we need to return immediately to the 4231 that the players all know.

Nadir

Individual

Give it up with this shite

You’re the joke of the Forum

Sissoko MOTM clearly

I watched a tactical analysis of the game on YouTube. Regarding Eriksen, the guy pointed out that he was man-marked by Guendouzi in the first half and Torreira in the second. Also mentioned how he only completed 32 passes (he averages 53) and did not play any key passes (normally averages 2).

I watched a tactical analysis of the game on YouTube. Regarding Eriksen, the guy pointed out that he was man-marked by Guendouzi in the first half and Torreira in the second. Also mentioned how he only completed 32 passes (he averages 53) and did not play any key passes (normally averages 2).

That doesn't surprise me at all, I'm pretty sure Cheslea did the same on Wednesday night, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned them doing it in the cup game too.

I think pitching Eriksen into that ACM role just makes it easier for the opposition to do it too.

You got a link?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom