Borussia Dortmund vs Tottenham Hotspur - Westfalenstadion - 5th March 2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

D07RYO_XQAAdLH2.jpg
I can see what they're trying to do here... but Hugo's expression, and Ben Davies sending in his school photo don't really do the overall 'moody feel' justice!!

Whenever they post an after match dressing room photo, Lamela always seems to be starkers.
...well you know why that is, doncha?
:lamelashock:

In the cold light of day, it was an excellent result but another sub-par performance from an attacking standpoint. I'm usually Mr Glass Half Full on these threads, but we need to start clicking again as an offensive unit. Southampton aren't a pushover under David Morrissey but it's a game we desperately need 3 points from before the break, otherwise Liverpool away becomes 'must win to stay top 4' territory.

Last ditch tackles and goalkeeping heroics are great TV, but I'd rather avoid that kind of thing generally.

Last ditch tackles and goalkeeping heroics are great TV, but I'd rather avoid that kind of thing generally.

Dortmund were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us. We played it perfectly. All they had was possession, they didn't really carve that many clear cut chances. Harry's goal, for example, was far more clear an opportunity that the others (Reus' aside).

Taking your chance is not sub par. It's clinical.

Dortmund were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us. We played it perfectly. All they had was possession, they didn't really carve that many clear cut chances. Harry's goal, for example, was far more clear an opportunity that the others (Reus' aside).

Taking your chance is not sub par. It's clinical.

Yes, Dortmund were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us but in no way was it played perfectly. Any of those shots could have gone in. Jan's last ditch tackle in the 11th could have been a second late and we're in real trouble for the next 80. The game was managed far, far better when Poch dropped Son back to the left wing to shut down their RW channel being exploited by their winger-turned-fullback but fact is that we rode our luck MASSIVELY for the first 30-40 minutes. Big credit to Poch there for making a significant change before halftime.

Of course taking your chance is clinical, that's why the best clubs have the best finishers (which is also why the top teams average more goals than their XG stat and vice versa) but in no way do I think that's the optimal way to go about a match where you only need 1 away goal to seal the deal.

I see people gobbling up a narrative that we defended brilliantly, but we didn't - if we did, then Dortmund wouldn't have had so many good chances.

Yes, Dortmund were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us but in no way was it played perfectly. Any of those shots could have gone in. Jan's last ditch tackle in the 11th could have been a second late and we're in real trouble for the next 80. The game was managed far, far better when Poch dropped Son back to the left wing to shut down their RW channel being exploited by their winger-turned-fullback but fact is that we rode our luck MASSIVELY for the first 30-40 minutes. Big credit to Poch there for making a significant change before halftime.

Of course taking your chance is clinical, that's why the best clubs have the best finishers (which is also why the top teams average more goals than their XG stat and vice versa) but in no way do I think that's the optimal way to go about a match where you only need 1 away goal to seal the deal.

I see people gobbling up a narrative that we defended brilliantly, but we didn't - if we did, then Dortmund wouldn't have had so many good chances.
Our defenders werent the main problem in the first half. I think our attackers were really shite in the first half and couldnt keep the ball at all, which meant we were on the backfoot constantly. Also Dortmund know how to play well in possession.

Second half we managed to put more passes together and Dier helped with controlling the game more. So we didnt have to constantly defend.

Last edited:
Our defenders were the main problem in the first half. I think our attackers were really shite in the first half and couldnt keep the ball at all, which meant we were on the backfoot constantly. Also Dortmund know how to play well in possession.

Second half we managed to put more passes together and Dier helped with controlling the game more. So we didnt have to constantly defend.
Good point about Dier.

Does anyone know our defensive record, comparing to when Dier plays or not ?

Our defenders werent the main problem in the first half. I think our attackers were really shite in the first half and couldnt keep the ball at all, which meant we were on the backfoot constantly. Also Dortmund know how to play well in possession.

Yeah, absolutely - defending in these games is done from the midfield and attack with defenders called into action when needed. Our defenders were mostly good, our defence was not (at least in the first half).

Good point about Dier.

Does anyone know our defensive record, comparing to when Dier plays or not ?
Quick look for PL games

With Dier 10W 1D 2L
Without Dier 10W 1D 6L

(30 matches instead of 29 because , Ive counted 1 match twice as Dier was subbed off when the game was drawing against Fulham and then we won without Dier)

Still it shows we lose fewer PL matches with him than without. Might be different in the CL though.

All they had was possession, they didn't really carve that many clear cut chances.
They had 11 chances as opposed to our 1 (Son's miss) going into half time.

First 30 minutes I thought we were in danger of being overrun and reliant on Lloris and last ditch tackles, deflections, tackles with heads, anything really to keep the ball out.

After 30 minutes, it was like a switch being flicked, we started to string passes together and retain possession (which we hadn't done up to them). I can't remember whether this co-incided with Son dropping back into a midfield four, leaving Kane up front.

After half time we were much more composed and when the goal went in they had no counter other than Pulisic (what a donkey - good luck with him Chavs!). His header was the only good chance I remember. They then ran out of ideas and frankly gave up. The ball went endlessly sideways and backwards while we looked on!

Difficult to single out a MOTM but Lloris I guess. All heroes in my book.

On to Southampton (and David Hasselhof in charge)

Back
Top Bottom