Match thread: Tottenham vs Swansea (Home)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We looked threatening when we pressed them high up the pitch, forcing them to give the ball away (that is what pressing is). That meant the distance to goal is far shorter and improves our chance to attack. It might have escaped your attention but the oppoents goal is at the other end of the pitch to ours! So where do you expect us to press in our 6 yard box???? You know fuck all about football.

Seriuosly, how arrogant are replies like this? "You know fuck all about football".

In recent seasons it has been a specific tactic of ours in big games (noticably against Woolwich) to play a pressing game in our own half. Not in attacking areas. To only press in your own half is to draw the opposing team toward you creating space behind them. We had excellent wingers in Lennon and Bale, FBs able to attack in Ekotto and Walker, quick forwards and people like Huddlestone, VDV and Modric in midfield. This enabled us to suck Woolwich in, release the ball behind them quickly and break with real purpose. And it worked. First time Harry beat them at the lane they ended up with something loke 60% possession and yet were never in the game, it was genuis.

This is, if Im not mistaken, the sort of football Carlo wants to see us play (Im sure I saw him say as much previously). It has proven to work with us and arguably plays to our strengths so I can see why he might prefer it.

Personally I like the idea of being adaptable. In the first instance I would prefer a high pressing game and the ability to break down stubborn teams (something always beyond Redknapp) but also the ability to switch to a deeper, counter attacking style as well. I feel this is what the top level teams do, have real options to switch to when plan A isnt working. As well as plan A not being "lump it to Crouchy".

So who knows nothing about football? Theres a message in there somewhere, something about thinking before speaking, or looking before leaping, I forget now...

It is pleasing to play a game and dominate possession, too often this season we have relinquished the ball to play on the break. I wonder if Bale's absence is making us play a more progressive game.

But, possession means little when so toothless in attack. Our shoot count was high but not overly accurate nor with much menace. Every week seems, to me, a slight improvement, if not in result then in understanding among the players.

Like the fact AVB cahnged the training routine so as to make it more difficult toward the end and increase player concentration. It might seem silly to have to do it, but it showed ingenuity and, at least yesterday, worked.

In the last couple of matches with Bale in and out, we seemed to score more when he wasnt on the field. I wonder if he is taking the teams focus to much?

The toothless attack, and inability to break down park the bus sides - while dominating possession - was a big feature of us under Harry and one of my biggest complaint of him.

I think AVB is trying to work on our movement, but its not exactly been successful yet. Small improvements, IMO, but not enough. We need to work on creating space in/around the box with more purpose IMO.

Seriuosly, how arrogant are replies like this? "You know fuck all about football".

In recent seasons it has been a specific tactic of ours in big games (noticably against Woolwich) to play a pressing game in our own half. Not in attacking areas. To only press in your own half is to draw the opposing team toward you creating space behind them. We had excellent wingers in Lennon and Bale, FBs able to attack in Ekotto and Walker, quick forwards and people like Huddlestone, VDV and Modric in midfield. This enabled us to suck Woolwich in, release the ball behind them quickly and break with real purpose. And it worked. First time Harry beat them at the lane they ended up with something loke 60% possession and yet were never in the game, it was genuis.

This is, if Im not mistaken, the sort of football Carlo wants to see us play (Im sure I saw him say as much previously). It has proven to work with us and arguably plays to our strengths so I can see why he might prefer it.

Personally I like the idea of being adaptable. In the first instance I would prefer a high pressing game and the ability to break down stubborn teams (something always beyond Redknapp) but also the ability to switch to a deeper, counter attacking style as well. I feel this is what the top level teams do, have real options to switch to when plan A isnt working. As well as plan A not being "lump it to Crouchy".

So who knows nothing about football? Theres a message in there somewhere, something about thinking before speaking, or looking before leaping, I forget now...

Some of US know our onions mate, dont let people like that get you down.

I see no sign of us being better at breaking down stubborn sides with this style.

It is the position we ended up in with Redknapp. I lost count of the number of games where passing, territory and possession statistics were off the scale but we couldnt muster a decent shot on goal.

Up to the 18 yard box we were imperious, as soon as we got there we were clueless. I hated it.

IMO AVB has his system designed around creating this situation, so he must have solutions as well. I can see a real structure and shape to the side, purpose in runs that are made etc - that I did not see with Redknapp who I felt relied to much on player intuition/invention. So I do think AVB can make that break through, it might take a couple of buys though.

One thing AVB talked about previously was this idea of tempting the opposition with the ball. When we have achieved that domination and camped in the opposition half they have no where to go except long balls - which the CBs should gobble up and recycle into our possession. What he said we needed to do then was effectively tease the opponent with the ball so they would chase it through our lines. Still in the opposition half, they break their rigid two banks of 4(or 5) to try and win the ball, at which point space is created for us to exploit.

Its really brave, intelligent football and I love the sound of it. I just dont think we have got there with it yet. This is where someone like Moutinho would come into his own, composed possession and passing in tight situations.

When we play now I see to many balls back to the GK that effectively end up with us starting the process again, when an ball into midfield is on and would have achieved more of what we are looking for. The players need to build that confidence and understanding, but at least now it is clear we are on our way (IMO, at least)

This is one of the reasons Im very keen on Naughton getting a run at RB. Firstly it would mean Ekotto is back, someone built for this football IMO. He has the confidence and swagger to tempt players to him and then pass it around them. Also for me though Walker is one of the worst offenders for this lack of "positive possession" but I see Naughton as someone who uses the ball much more intelligently

(try reading that without that awful labour conference tune in your head lol)

200px-Brian_Cox.jpg

Did You also catch that odd exchange between him and the commentator about Stef freund scoring a goal for us but neither could remember when or who it was against. Probably because it never happened! (and they certainly weren't referring to that friendly game against Swindon or whoever)

That was a definite senior moment.

Speaking of Freund. Anyone catch the full on Man Love hug he gave Townsend before he went onto the pitch? I love Freund's enthusiasm. He was like a parent sending his 6 year old off to first grade. So proud of Townsend.

And then Townsend bossed it around with CR7 step overs etc. :freund:

Maybe we've got it wrong and these people are right. Maybe, just maybe. :dempsey:

I want to know...........What game was he watching w/ that POV on Dembele ?

Replace him w/ Parker yesterday and the productivity on the pitch would tanked badly thru the central part of the pitch.

My dad took my ticket and went to the game and he said something similar about dembele not playing well. Told him 'dad. I love you but you're talking shit.'

Then again he also thinks AVB is useless and should be sacked (though cant name a replacement)

Me an my dad are going to fall out over football soon

I’ve got to phrase this right so I don’t come across sounding like a horrible racist.

When Modric was on the ball it was fairly noticeable... being small, mulleted and rat featured.

Dembele isn’t small, mulleted and rat featured so maybe that's why people don’t recognise the huge difference he makes to our game.

I’ve got to phrase this right so I don’t come across sounding like a horrible racist.

When Modric was on the ball it was fairly noticeable... being small, mulleted and rat featured.

Dembele isn’t small, mulleted and rat featured so maybe that's why people don’t recognise the huge difference he makes to our game.
Racist.

It is the position we ended up in with Redknapp. I lost count of the number of games where passing, territory and possession statistics were off the scale but we couldnt muster a decent shot on goal.

Up to the 18 yard box we were imperious, as soon as we got there we were clueless. I hated it.

IMO AVB has his system designed around creating this situation, so he must have solutions as well. I can see a real structure and shape to the side, purpose in runs that are made etc - that I did not see with Redknapp who I felt relied to much on player intuition/invention. So I do think AVB can make that break through, it might take a couple of buys though.

One thing AVB talked about previously was this idea of tempting the opposition with the ball. When we have achieved that domination and camped in the opposition half they have no where to go except long balls - which the CBs should gobble up and recycle into our possession. What he said we needed to do then was effectively tease the opponent with the ball so they would chase it through our lines. Still in the opposition half, they break their rigid two banks of 4(or 5) to try and win the ball, at which point space is created for us to exploit.

Its really brave, intelligent football and I love the sound of it. I just dont think we have got there with it yet. This is where someone like Moutinho would come into his own, composed possession and passing in tight situations.

When we play now I see to many balls back to the GK that effectively end up with us starting the process again, when an ball into midfield is on and would have achieved more of what we are looking for. The players need to build that confidence and understanding, but at least now it is clear we are on our way (IMO, at least)

This is one of the reasons Im very keen on Naughton getting a run at RB. Firstly it would mean Ekotto is back, someone built for this football IMO. He has the confidence and swagger to tempt players to him and then pass it around them. Also for me though Walker is one of the worst offenders for this lack of "positive possession" but I see Naughton as someone who uses the ball much more intelligently

comedy gold mate
love it.

Back
Top Bottom