Martin Jol on Spurs (his favourite club) and Ajax and our ex Ajax Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The word legend is thrown about these days like confetti, I watched our “legends” game and thought “christ we need to start winning something soon as some of these guys are as far from a legend in the true sense you could imagine....But I 100% put Jol in the legends bracket, that man started something that those who followed have reaped his rewards....#LegendJol

Arsene has never been so lucky.. Big Martin would've been my favourite manager of all time if he had chinned him.

wySMazCAlIs8M.gif

Last edited:
After a game Martin goes to speak to the ref

MJ "ref, am I allowed to tell you that you were shit?"

Ref. "No Martin and if you do I will report you to the FA"

MJ "Am I allowed to think it?"

Ref. "You can think what you like, I can't stop you"

MJ. "OK ref, I think you were shit"

I love Martin Jol. After years of being shit we were finally on the right path under him and looking up and not down. It was the last time everyone was completely together and on the same page. The ground has never been like it was in the Jol years. There was no twitter then to encourage negativity either.
Do you remember the slow “Oh When The Spurs” used to just go on forever... miss those days.

Queuing up outside and missed the first 15 minutes meant I missed the goal(s?) we conceded that meant we had very little chance of going through... . but still one of my favorite times at the lane.

Snap, I got in late as well.

The atmosphere was unbelievable, so so proud of the manager, the team and the fans that night. Sevilla were a very good side at the time.

Do you remember the slow “Oh When The Spurs” used to just go on forever... miss those days.
On the quayside in porto before braga in the wafer cup ..when it really took hold..big enfield skinhead on a chair directing the yid choir ...and the bar owner doing his bollocks as he was running out of beer .legendary day

The word legend is thrown about these days like confetti, I watched our “legends” game and thought “christ we need to start winning something soon as some of these guys are as far from a legend in the true sense you could imagine....But I 100% put Jol in the legends bracket, that man started something that those who followed have reaped his rewards....#LegendJol
Agree.

We seemed to get our swagger back under Jol, some of our football was the best I have seen. I recall us thumping Everton at WHL one new year and we could have scored ten. the lane was rocking that day

Snap, I got in late as well.

The atmosphere was unbelievable, so so proud of the manager, the team and the fans that night. Sevilla were a very good side at the time.
they only beat us through that hugely dodgy pen at their place

and they got their police and stewards to beat our travelling fans

BMJ did kinda kick-start the new era...

he certainly brought back the feelgood factor, which for a while there (im thinking the Graham era and Hoddle not quite working out), had almost disappeared!

I adored the big lug. He got Spurs, understood what the fans wanted. It's a shame how it panned out but I hope he gets an opportunity to come back to the Lane at some point. I'm sure he'll get a great reception.

Preferred him over Arry even if he never got us into the CL.

I loved Jol, he really united the team and the fans. Seemed like everyone just wanted to hug him like a favourite uncle. Always thought he could have done much more with some extra cash behind him. Was gutted with the way Levy binned him off at the time.

I adored the big lug. He got Spurs, understood what the fans wanted. It's a shame how it panned out but I hope he gets an opportunity to come back to the Lane at some point. I'm sure he'll get a great reception.

Preferred him over Arry even if he never got us into the CL.

Harry was obviously great for us too, but BMJ did revitalise us without half the talent Harry had. In hindsight scrapping 4th with King, Modric, Van der Vaart and Bale maybe wasn't the greatest achievement.

How he managed to get us to even fight for 4th in 05/06 remains a mystery consisting the years of shit we'd had to endure for years prior.

A great bloke, good at developing talent and got what it meant to manage this club.

Harry was obviously great for us too, but BMJ did revitalise us without half the talent Harry had. In hindsight scrapping 4th with King, Modric, Van der Vaart and Bale maybe wasn't the greatest achievement.
When you look at the squad Jol had at the time, and the one Harry had at his disposal, you'd be right on the money there!

How he managed to get us to even fight for 4th in 05/06 remains a mystery consisting the years of shit we'd had to endure for years prior.

A great bloke, good at developing talent and got what it meant to manage this club.
He could've been bitter after the way he was sacked, but he is always positive about Spurs, says a lot about his character, should've chinned Wenger though.

He won't go down as the greatest manager, but for me he is certainly one of the most likeable.

By far my favourite manager. The way Levy dealt with his departure is my biggest gripe with Levy. Thought they way we got rid of a guy who did so much for us was disgusting. Glad to hear he still likes us :)

Back
Top Bottom