Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That could have ended a lot worse. Positives to take from the second half, and with Son to come back it’s far from over. Alli and Eriksen really need to step up. Very poor today.
Anytime Dele or Eriksen got the ball there were at least 4 defenders standing directly in front of them. Credit where credit is due, Ajax is an extremely well drilled team.

We are going to win this and qualify in the second leg. We have met the devil head on and toe punted him in the bollocks. We will be a different side next Wednesday. They have a 1nil advantage and an away goal. But we will over come
So confident and I am normally the biggest pessimist ever
Believe people,believe
YIDS

Just need to get some sleep. Tomorrow we'll feel better about our chances. It's just one goal.

I'm hopeful. I hate this argument, but we were awful and we're still completely in it, so if we click next week, we can do it. I won't go so far as to say they were flustered since we were so non-threatening, but as considerably inept as we were, they did resort to long balls quite a bit, which our CBs dealt with easily. If we're at it next week, penetrating and testing their keeper, perhaps they lose some composure. Unlikely given their run this year, but it's just one. One away win, that's it.

It's pretty clear what Poch's game plan was. With no real attacking threat, just defend and hope for a break with set pieces. We didn't even have speed for counter. I think he'd be glad with 0-1.

Sanchez looks like he's got a mistake in him every game. I think we overpaid massively for him. Foyth, on the other hand, I think will be a big player for us come next season.
Totally agree on Sanchez. I don’t trust the guy one bit. 45 million was way way to much for him

Sadly Vertonghen's injury was needed to change your formation. This really helped Tottenham and Ajax had a tough time coping with the other formation. As Ajax fan it was really painful to see Jan going off like that. I hope he's better soon! I heard our former players got a lot of cheers from the Ajax fans in the stadium, they will get an even better reception in the Johan Cruyff Arena.

Trying to look on the bright side, it's only "half time " and their heroics have generally come away from home. Feel a little deflated but considering our circumstances, it could have been a lot worse. Hopefully, we will be able to put in a better performance next week. Don't like criticising individuals but felt a bit let down by Eriksen and Dele, they are supposed to be our big game players. Danny played well and Moussa was immense when he came on. Poor Jan, hope he is all right for next week but he looked at sorry state when he came off the second time. What were they thinking letting him back on!
Making my way to the station now.

Gullit and Dessaily on Bein say they have never seen an average, technically inferior midfield incapable of stringing few passes together at this level than Tottenhams.

Gullit giggles and continue to mention how can a PL club with so much resources ends up fielding a player of Wanyama's calibre at this stage of this competition?

Both believe this game is done and dusted.
Guulit and Desailly. 2 ex Chelsea players. Speaking of Desailly, I'm tired of what the french "pundits" say simply because they are: Desailly, Petit, Djibril Cisse etc... All fucking Scum, Chelsea or Liverpool players in the past.

Next week will be different for Ajax I feel.

Theyve had nothing to lose up until now.

Next week they are the favourites. They've never been favourites against Madrid or Juve and they weren't even favourites tonight.

Infront of their home fans. 1-0 lead. Will the pressure get to them? Or will they be abit more resolute? Look to counter and time waste from the off? We know how much we struggle with that.

We all know the bullet points....

Performance wasn't great, but everything to play for at 1-0.

Props to Sissoko & Lucas.

COYS!

....Let's just hope the boys can re-load suitably for the weekend. There'll be an emotional come-down from Amsterdamn either way so leaving it 'til Everton could really blow up in our faces.

I don't think a lot of you are understanding this result. It's sets it perfectly for an epic night and performance, similar to Juve Vs Utd in 1999 after Utd had drawn at home then conceded early in the away game. That's the way you want to do it, in a memorable way, not after having won 4-0 in the home leg.

He needs to be dropped but there’s nobody else pushing for his place so he can carry on being mediocre
Was the same last season up until December.....back then people didn’t even want him dropped for Son, who had just destroyed Dortmund.

Doesn’t matter if Kane, Lamela, Moura are all fit, Dele will play. He’s got to this stage because Poch thinks he’s his kid

Back
Top Bottom