Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No one can ever know.

However we can have a good guess, that on the balance of probability, and the stars lining up, our bench for a CL semi would have looked a little different to:
Dier
Walker-Peters
Sissoko
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Davies
Skipp

Two full backs, a CB who was played as a fullback, a keeper, Dier, a crocked Sissoko (who was magnificent when he came on) and a teenager that the manager seems to have no confidence in.

As I've said many times, you build a squad that can sustain you through, injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

We're suffering from all three at the moment!

The only squad that could sustain themselves through an injury list like ours is Citeh's. Every other Premier League side would have the same problems as us.

It's the frustration of it all. We get to the EC semi, then have 4 starters out injured and then play like donkeys until we are a goal down.

I live in hope, but by god if we fail we better go down fighting and not with a whimper.

Gullit and Dessaily on Bein say they have never seen an average, technically inferior midfield incapable of stringing few passes together at this level than Tottenhams.

Gullit giggles and continue to mention how can a PL club with so much resources ends up fielding a player of Wanyama's calibre at this stage of this competition?

Both believe this game is done and dusted.
Really harsh but I can’t disagree to be honest. Technique-wise our midfield is very very limited

It's the frustration of it all. We get to the EC semi, then have 4 starters out injured and then play like donkeys until we are a goal down.

I live in hope, but by god if we fail we better go down fighting and not with a whimper.

Their ultras were out to the sword a couple of times before the game if that is any comfort.

It's only bizarre in your opinion. I don't for a second think that we intended not to buy anyone.

Do you think we should just by anyone? I guarantee if we bought someone poor you'd be among the group giving him and the club stick.

It happened with Sissoko...

We have been linked with umpteen players over recent windows. Off the top of my head, Grealish, Barclay, Mitrovic, Tielemans, Shelvey, Saha, etc etc, Fulham managed to attract Mitrovic and Schurrle. Leicester signed Tielemans. Wolves and Leicester signed who knows what, but turned out very good. Even Woolwich managed Guendouzi and Torreira. Us, with a CL campaign to offer signed no-one.

This argument has been run a million times and no-one will change my mind that last summer was a huge missed opportunity.

Are people seriously wondering who could improve us?
Anyone from Wolves, Everton or Watfords forwards.

It’s not difficult to improve our attack.

My niece could improve our attack
God knows I don't want to drag this up again but...

You were the most adamant in August that we'd done exactly the right thing. You barely stopped criticising those who said we should strengthen.

Then you had a road-to-Damascus-moment in February and said, actually we should have. Your criticism then, bizarrely, was for those of us who said we should have signed cover in central midfield (as well as elsewhere, but you ignored that bit).

We had no midfield today (until the Lazarus-like Sissoko came on) and got overran.

Would you accept then:

(a) We should have strengthened central midfield in the summer or in January?

and/or

(b) We should our attacking options in the summer or in January?

Because it looks to me and loads others that our failure to do so, whoever might be to blame for that (my suspicion is that that blame can be spread among a number of people/departments), is badly affecting us now

Are people seriously wondering who could improve us?
Anyone from Wolves, Everton or Watfords forwards.

It’s not difficult to improve our attack.

My niece could improve our attack

I think here lays the problem with our recruitment philosophy at the moment. The club want the finest players and miss out on them, instead of incrementally add quality. Do I want the likes of Deeney, Jota, Tielemans no not really but do they make the squad better as it stands? Yes they do.

Personally I'd have loved to see Edwards or Parrott given a go tonight. Deep down I knew Llorente couldn't go anything for 90 minutes tonight and Dele just hasn't got his head in the game at the moment. I miss the street brawler Dele, not the Fortnite loving Dele. He's an 8th of the player I know he is and it's pretty concerning that either he can't push through or the management can't see he needs a week or twos rest instead of flogging a dead horse.

At 6s and 7s tonight. Ajax must have been giddy with excitement at half time as to how poor we conducted ourselves. Still 0-1 though so we really have a chance

I'm too tired to do a soup to nuts breakdown, suffice to say -0-1 ain't too bad a result, we are still in this tie. If Ajax continued to play as they did against Madrid and Juve then I honestly wouldn't be saying this. They were sensational for 25mis, we couldn't get near them, they were popping the ball about all over the place and we were just chasing shadows. Honestly, I thought we were going to get destroyed. And when both Toby and Jan were both lying in the penalty area I thought that's it.

BUT, we rallied after Jan went off. Sissoko DID make the difference (Wanyama was shocking, although on his own against that movement). We were the better side in the 2nd half (obviously not to the margins of better than Ajax were to us for their 25min spell).

We can beat them, in fact, I thought once we broke up their midfield they didn't have anything. Bare in mind we played with no midfield and no attack. In Amsterdam we will have an attack, we can get behind them with Son and Lucas running behind them.

It's not over.

Last edited:
God knows I don't want to drag this up again but...

You were the most adamant in August that we'd done exactly the right thing. You barely stopped criticising those who said we should strengthen.

Then you had a road-to-Damascus-moment in February and said, actually we should have. Your criticism then, bizarrely, was for those of us who said we should have signed cover in central midfield (as well as elsewhere, but you ignored that bit).

We had no midfield today (until the Lazarus-like Sissoko came on) and got overran.

Would you accept then:

(a) We should have strengthened central midfield in the summer or in January?

and/or

(b) We should our attacking options in the summer or in January?

Because it looks to me and loads others that our failure to do so, whoever might be to blame for that (my suspicion is that that blame can be spread among a number of people/departments), is badly affecting us now
He flip flops more than a toad

Now my Chick King Cherry has been popped, I'm never going back to kebab!

My highlight of the evening was the moment I nabbed a ticket in the Coach and Horses pub Garden, in the company of Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor and Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman ...shame the feeling didn't last till the end of the game... but I wouldn't have changed it for the World... sometimes, just sometimes, the occasion is bigger than the result.

Losing hurts like hell... but I don't know when we'll next get to see Spurs in a Champions League Semi-final at WHL... so was determined to TRY and enjoy tonight... they didn't half make it hard though! ...and a goal woulda been nice!

Still... I left my voice inside the ground, and that's as much as I could do....

Onto the 2nd leg... still all to play for believe it or not!

Everyone remembers their first Chick King

How did the atmosphere come across? Really hard to gauge when you’re in the south stand
The first half killed it ( mostly ) really good to start but it was so obvious really quickly that our team were not at the races and frankly you cannot kid that many people. it was always like this at the lane and it’s no different now.

I just got home. I will feel worse tomorrow than I do now. Now I feel anger. Tomorrow I will feel sadness. And we will all face the same tired jokes about bottling and the same old shit excuses.

For the Manager and Eriksen to both come out quick and say they are to blame is both brave and very upsetting. Under Poch strides have been taken, but again the load was blown and all we have left is excuses.

Genuinely I love Spurs, I don’t remember a time in my life when it did not matter to me. It always will, but tonight was possibly the biggest game of my life and it’s ended with a half arsed performance, a £65 ticket, a white flag ( ironic ) and being treated to a walk the wrong way around through Tottenham. It’s just miserable.

I have a glaring sense of dread watching Spurs at the moment and that I feel and fear I am watching a dying team.

There is simply nothing there at the moment. It’s astonishing how many problems we seem to be facing. I said this afternoon that Bournemouth was a massive game - how can that be ? - it should be a routine, it’s not nothing is now. It’s utterly turd

Oh well if we were linked then I apologise.

I don't care if we are linked with the second coming of Messi...it's not that easy. And all the sides you mentioned are below us. They would kill for our season.

Still
Confident we will get to the final, we ain’t doing things the easy way and after 1 point after 3 games I’m the group stages you would be crazy to write us off! If we get the away goal early then Ajax will start to get nervous, we are now the underdogs, let’s see how they handle the pressure! And fuck there GK! Wasting time like no fucking cunt! :pochfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom