Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm loving the negativity in the press this morning. Apparently we were terrible (yes, for the first 30... then very much in the match) and Ajax are pretty much in the final. That is the kind of situation that this team seems to thrive on and could create a lot of pressure on those young Ajax players next week.

We are back as the firm underdogs. I'm happy with that.
100% THIS!!

I was smiling to myself this morning listening and reading all the write-ups when I remember the press was reasonably upbeat following Man U's 0-2 loss in the first leg against PSG, By upbeat I mean there was still a lot of optimism about getting a result in Paris.

This morning it doesn't appear to reflect this about our chances. I completely understand the hype around the Ajax team, fuck me they are brilliant. But they only were able to show their brilliance for 25mins against a very depleted Spurs side that had no midfield and no attack.

We were the better side in the 2nd half and whilst we didn't show any real sustained quality (as Ajax did) there is absolutely more than a chance for us to get it done in Amsterdam.

As you say the pressure is all on them now, they are favourites, something they will not like. In addition to this, they will have to deal with a Spurs side with a Sissoko (fingers crossed he's recovered, he looked fine in the game) in midfield, they couldn't deal with him, just as they couldn't deal with the similar midfield runs from Caan when they played Juve. And of course, we will have Son back, meaning we will have two players able to carry the ball and get behind their high-line (Lucas and Son), a different proposition.

But also to ramp up the pressure, this is this team's last chance, this team gets broken up in the summer, the pressure is all on them to perform at home in front of their own fans, if they don't that's it they go their separate ways.

With the Eredivisie cancelling last weekend matches to give Ajax the rest and preparation for the game, will also have meant that Willem, who they play in the Final on Sunday would have twice as long to also prepare for the final!! Whilst only a midtable side, their rest and preparation over Ajax might be the leveller. What if Willem take Ajax to extra time? What if they suffer an injury to de Ligt, van der Beek or de Jong???

We don't need to go out all gung-ho either, we know what we have to do, there is no stick or twist dilemma and of cause playing the 2nd leg at their place means that we have a much longer time to get our 2nd goal because there can be extra-time.

DeafeningSardonicGraysquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Whats the matter fella..i disagree with a post and you wet your knickers..im.not about to get in cunt off with you ..ive neither the inclination nor do i want to lower my self to your level which trawls the bottom of the pond .
.the beer with 1882 and nutter naylor and many others yesterday was fine ..im a big boy now and can handle half a lager without addiction you fucking knome.
You’re an overblown meathead 57 - a fucking throwback. No one takes you seriously. With your white trainers and and your black hoody - Jesus mate - buy some carpet slippers.

They are gonna make me hate this Ajax team with all this nonsense. We were without our 4 best players ffs. We scored 3 goals at Etihad. Ajax is good, but they aren't City.

Plus, they were in same situation with no pressure against Juventus and made it to semis. Now, all the pressure is on them

The reverting to a back 4 happened before Jan got injured, he'd already been moved to Lb with rose pushed into midfield, Poch got it badly wrong in those first 20ish minutes and we got off lightly only conceding 1 goal.

Yeah, I agree, somewhat. Can only say “wrong” In hindsight though. Definitely didn’t work.

He tried something. It didn’t work. To dare is to...

wtf did this guy smoke? he makes it sound like Ajax overran Spurs for 6 hours in a single game with tiki-taka 2.0 space football.

Donny van de Beek presses pause before delivering telling blow for Ajax | Barney Ronay

I am such an arrogant prick that I cant help feeling dissatisfied with a 0-1 CL semi final away game against Spurs. Like we should have decided it all right there and then. At the beginning of this season I was worried about games against Standard Luik and AEK Athens

As a Spurs fan I would be worriesd about the lack of fire power in the front. When we lost the ball against Benfica, Bayern, Juve, Real you had that instant fear of splitting pass followed by a killer goal but I didnt have that feeling at all last night. Sure you pressed and pushed but it wasnt dangerous. Like we would have against a mid tier Eredivise when we are 1-0 ahead with 20min to go...
Our press has fallen under the spell of Ajax football and this side (which has at times been sublime) but last night against a makeshift Tottenham side that had NO midfield and NO attack having suffered yet another injury blow to one of it's best players you didn't capitalise and were made to look quite ordinary in the 2nd half, to the point that dare I say it, you didn't look that good in the 2nd half.

Your first 25min-30min you were sublime but that was about it.

Just read a stat that Trippier lost possession on average every 3 minutes of the game.

Think you might be mistaking him forMoura, who as well as getting dispossessed a shit load more than anyone, also saw half as much ball as Trippier and completed 66% of them.
Vcwg7H7.jpg

I don’t think Trippier was very good last night, but he certainly was no worse than anyone else, especially the bumbling Alli, Moura and Spanish Crouch.

Think you might be mistaking him forMoura, who as well as getting dispossessed a shit load more than anyone, also saw half as much ball as Trippier and completed 66% of them.
Vcwg7H7.jpg

I don’t think Trippier was very good last night, but he certainly was no worse than anyone else, especially the bumbling Alli, Moura and Spanish Crouch.
Stats stats stats, fuck off. It's not the same when you're Lucas or Trippier. Of course Lucas is gonna losee some balls because he's winger trying on his own. Trippier is fucking full back with no offensive threat.

Yeah, I agree, somewhat. Can only say “wrong” In hindsight though. Definitely didn’t work.

That’s no really true, I said it before we kicked off. It was staggeringly obvious that he’d set us up badly against team that set up and play the way Ajax do. And it’s not like it’s the first time he’s done that and then had to panic, move people around, often putting people into positions that aren’t their best, just to douse the tactical fire he’s started.

Yes and if it was the first time he'd done this you'd say fair enough but it's not and we've suffered every time previously, it's like he's not learning.

Best thing about last night was we only lost by 1, Poch MUST'VE now wised up and we've got players coming back...it's not over thankfully but it could cost us, let's hope not...

You’re an overblown meathead 57 - a fucking throwback. No one takes you seriously. With your white trainers and and your black hoody - Jesus mate - buy some carpet slippers.
I havnt got a black hoody ..that was another poster saying what he would be dressed in..!.. black k swiss are in vogue fella get with it but diadora where class in the day ahh ! :sonlol:
Why you bothered if anyone takes me seriously or not.
You on the piss or abusing substances !..its daytime and your posting a drunken load of bollocks . put you ignore you poor puppy.

Last edited:
Stats stats stats, fuck off. It's not the same when you're Lucas or Trippier. Of course Lucas is gonna losee some balls because he's winger trying on his own. Trippier is fucking full back with no offensive threat.

Moura played a chunk of last night as a forward in central areas, Trippier spent much more time than Moura in wide areas.

I don’t give a fuck where Moura played, his position had fuck all to do with him running the fucking ball into opposition players as often as he did.

Trippier wasnt good last night and neither was Moura. The best you could say is both put in effort, which they did, but neither produced anything of quality.

The English Premier League has given us and others the chance to build great teams with the additional money. The Dutch FA has given their team a longer rest to compete against the rich teams. Basically both leagues have helped their respective clubs. Nothing to see here.
It’s only an advantage if you spend any of that money on players😂😂

Vcwg7H7.jpg

He did 2 things we teach 10 year olds not to do.
- as a full back you are never the deepest defender when we don't have the ball. That cost us the goal.
- you never pass the ball back to a team mate who is in a worse position than you in front of goal. That nearly cost us another one.

Yes and if it was the first time he'd done this you'd say fair enough but it's not and we've suffered every time previously, it's like he's not learning.

Best thing about last night was we only lost by 1, Poch MUST'VE now wised up and we've got players coming back...it's not over thankfully but it could cost us, let's hope not...

Suffered all our way to the CL semi.

Anyway. I think we are closer to being on the same page than you think. Maybe just looking at it from opposite sides. Let’s hope for a turn around in Amsterdam.

I think the defeat last night can be laid firmly at Poch's door. Yet again he failed to learn from his mistakes and did not start with his best team. He got lucky that the Verts injury forced his hand to do what he should have done from the start.

Once Sissoko came on, I think Spurs edged it. We never looked like scoring because Llorente is useless carthorse and Moura is a ball greedy sub standard nothing player living off his goals against Man Utd. BUT even though we had the cutting edge of a rolling pin, we matched them.

The Bournemouth game is ALL critical now. Win that and the pressure v Everton is gone. The pressure to win the CL to requalify is gone.

POCH - learn your bloody lesson for once and play your best team available against Bournemouth. All this chopping and changing shit is fucking us over.

We can still win in Amsterdam - but going in on the back of victory and CL requalification will make that job a lot easier.

I don’t give a fuck where Moura played, his position had fuck all to do with him running the fucking ball into opposition players as often as he did.

Moura is a very, very fast player who should be passed the ball as he's running towards the opposition. Instead, he was having to drop deeper, behind Llorente and pick up the ball himself, with his back to goal. Yes, he is limited, but there's no point laying into him when we don't play to those limited strengths.

You’re so hopelessly clueless of your general understanding of the game it makes little difference what a write. Your little agenda is beyond laughable

-wanting to sell 2 of our best players because of few poor games and calling Dele Jenas. You’re pitiful

-making excuses for Trippier all season claiming he was playing with an injury and is a ‘trier’ but never extend the same to Dele For example

-making libelous accusations toward Poch and our medical team for intentionally playing Kane injured

-calling posters on here cunts for 3 months last summer who wanted our team strengthened and CM especially. Everyone with an ounce of football intellect could see Dembele is finished (he even said it himself) and Sissoko was nowhere near what he is now plus he’s one player.

As I said - you have no real grasp of the game
And not one mention of what you think about Spurs

Back
Top Bottom