Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Moura is a very, very fast player who should be passed the ball as he's running towards the opposition. Instead, he was having to drop deeper, behind Llorente and pick up the ball himself, with his back to goal. Yes, he is limited, but there's no point laying into him when we don't play to those limited strengths.

It would help if Poch used him as a wide forward instead of a centre forward where he just keeps running into bodies.

I like that Moura is a busy fucker who works hard off the ball, but not all his bumbling is down to us not playing to his strengths, he puts his head down and dribbles without looking up enough and making better decisions.

Stats stats stats, fuck off. It's not the same when you're Lucas or Trippier. Of course Lucas is gonna losee some balls because he's winger trying on his own. Trippier is fucking full back with no offensive threat.

I agree, Lucas was far and away our best attacker last night. I know that's not saying much but weird that he gets singled out.

I guess it's becoming harder and harder for Bus to keep on knocking Sissoko so he needs a new target!

It's football, crazier shit has happened than a mistake or a moment of magic seeing us through, but we don't have a vintage Poch blinder of a performance in us.

This is the 'business end of the season. It's not about vintage performances...

Trf windows, Wembley, CL group stage, City H & away, Dortmund, top 4....

We've been written off too many times this season for me to curl up into a little ball now.

Last edited:
The English Premier League has given us and others the chance to build great teams with the additional money. The Dutch FA has given their team a longer rest to compete against the rich teams. Basically both leagues have helped their respective clubs. Nothing to see here.

Of course, but the system started from afar. The English league was not so rich before. First in England the players from Serie A came to end their career. Today the opposite happens: the whole mechanism has led to a system that sells well creates high profits well distributed. The intervention of the Dutch league instead is on the single match: in my opinion you have been penalized.

Now Ajax is nice because they are outsiders but if he were another team it wouldn't have been like that.

Think you might be mistaking him forMoura, who as well as getting dispossessed a shit load more than anyone, also saw half as much ball as Trippier and completed 66% of them.
Vcwg7H7.jpg

I don’t think Trippier was very good last night, but he certainly was no worse than anyone else, especially the bumbling Alli, Moura and Spanish Crouch.

Trippier was the worst player on the field by some distance

One decent free kick and that was it

Cue mind blowing stats incoming

It would help if Poch used him as a wide forward instead of a centre forward where he just keeps running into bodies.

I like that Moura is a busy fucker who works hard off the ball, but not all his bumbling is down to us not playing to his strengths, he puts his head down and dribbles without looking up enough and making better decisions.

But at least he goes forward

Your pet Tripps goes one step forward and three back

Fuck it we are still in it and i reckon we have a chance, a fair chance. Was disappointing of course but i think the lads that were out there did their best under the circumstances and i'm not too disheartened this morning. Onto Bournemouth and three points so we can go through all this again next season. Come on you Spurs.
Well said that man.

The way we were playing the first 30 mins, I said I would take 1-0 loss to Amsterdam, was never going to be our night and could have gone worse if the post wasn't there, so still content with 1 goal down and very hopeful.

The way we were playing the first 30 mins, I said I would take 1-0 loss to Amsterdam, was never going to be our night and could have gone worse if the post wasn't there, so still content with 1 goal down and very hopeful.
A few years ago we would have folded and lost by 3 or 4. There is a lot of fight in this team.

Trippier was the worst player on the field by some distance

One decent free kick and that was it

Cue mind blowing stats incoming

Trippier wasn't good. I wanted him subbed, but he was no more useless than Alli (who was worse) or Moura or Llorente - all of whom I'd have happily taken off if we had anyone on the bench who could have offered much more.

We've got an attacking midfielder in our U23's who can't stop scoring, but apparently we are better off having 2cb's on our bench.

And I don't really understand why Rose gets lauded and Trippier gets slaughtered. Rose produces even less of tangible worth than Trippier, Rose saw half as much of the ball, gave it away 32% of the time. But there are people calling him their MOTM.

Maybe Trippier needs to play with a fucking scowl on this face like chippy Danny?

I think the defeat last night can be laid firmly at Poch's door. Yet again he failed to learn from his mistakes and did not start with his best team. He got lucky that the Verts injury forced his hand to do what he should have done from the start.

Once Sissoko came on, I think Spurs edged it. We never looked like scoring because Llorente is useless carthorse and Moura is a ball greedy sub standard nothing player living off his goals against Man Utd. BUT even though we had the cutting edge of a rolling pin, we matched them.

The Bournemouth game is ALL critical now. Win that and the pressure v Everton is gone. The pressure to win the CL to requalify is gone.

POCH - learn your bloody lesson for once and play your best team available against Bournemouth. All this chopping and changing shit is fucking us over.

We can still win in Amsterdam - but going in on the back of victory and CL requalification will make that job a lot easier.

To me its clear he didn't want to risk bringing Sissoko back too early and lose him for the rest of the campaign. As we have seen with several other injured players this season.

Poch historically likes to give injured players time to recover and bring themselves back to peak fitness before he starts them. Particularly in central midfield where you need players to be at their sharpest. Same deal with new signings.

Its a luxury that he's not been afforded this year due to the massive hole where a very good midfield used to be.

My feelings exactly. Not that we narrowly lost with a mediocre performance but because for some unknown reason I was unable to buy my usual seat, despite it being taken not by Ajax but by Spurs fans. And because that meant I ended up among the worst set of supporters I have ever seen, who couldn't open their mouths without yelling expletives at Spurs players, found it impossible to sit in their seats so that those around them could see the game and who abused me for my heritage. £81.50 utterly wasted, I wanted to be there for the occasion and ended up in the middle of a bunch of knuckle-dragging neanderthals. And the men were worse.
Abused you for your heritage? That sounds worrying - what was the abuse, if you don't mind saying?

Trippier wasn't good. I wanted him subbed, but he was no more useless than Alli (who was worse) or Moura or Llorente - all of whom I'd have happily taken off if we had anyone on the bench who could have offered much more.

We've got an attacking midfielder in our U23's who can't stop scoring, but apparently we are better off having 2cb's on our bench.

And I don't really understand why Rose gets lauded and Trippier gets slaughtered. Rose produces even less of tangible worth than Trippier, Rose saw half as much of the ball, gave it away 32% of the time. But there are people calling him their MOTM.

Maybe Trippier needs to play with a fucking scowl on this face like chippy Danny?

Maybe because Rose was putting in serious effort, chasing everything down and smashing into tackles, it gives the other players a lift when someone does that.

I notice you don’t mention how useless Eriksen was in your appraisals?

I’ll also never understand your ‘he saw half as much of the ball’ stuff, it’s a completely pointless stat. It means Rose wasn’t getting as many passes as Trippier.

I would be inclined to say you’ve never put a pair of football boots on. Obviously there’s no way I can prove that, but you reek of an armchair fan that’s never kicked a ball in their life. I’m not saying that doesn’t give you the right to enjoy football and understand it, but in your case it really stunts how you see the game

Ok but Tripps can also be chippy!

For his heart, desire and effort I would have thought he was our MOM even surpassing Sissoko!!!!!!

But clearly Poch doesn’t think our young lads are ready yet
Skipp clearly isn’t

I would start Foyth as a wing back though

Back
Top Bottom