Rebuild: who stays and who goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we have any money to spend it *has* to be on a box to box central midfielder. Preferably with experience and some leadership about them.

Sub yesterday. I think he'll be here another year.

Our priorities are not WBs.

We're already running one short with Dembele gone. if Eriksen goes then that's another short in midfield.

We need 2, possibly 3 midfield replacements and a Kane stand in. Llorente and Janssen out.

If Alderweireld goes then we can use Dier as cover, so we need another replacement.

Without trying too hard, that's the 5 changes that any squad can stand in one window. Any more is too disruptive.
I agree with our need for 2-3 midfielders, but saying fullbacks is not a priority is just crazy. I will be physically hurt if we do not sign atleast one RB this summer.

Both KT and Aurier have proved not up to scratch, only Danny Rose has been decent out of all 4 actually.

Ben Davies is a good squad player and I can’t fault him as he’s reliable but we definitely need to address the right side at a minimum. KT is shipping goals like it’s his job. . .

Need: RB, DM, CB, Box to Box mid, another versatile Mid.

So 3 mids, and 2 backs. Another striker/CF for the right price.

I wonder if Foyth could play DM? Seems comfortable with the ball at his feet, sometimes too much so but that should be fixed with experience.

My ideal Summer would be the following..

Out:
Vorm
Aurier
KWP(either on loan or permanently depending on how Poch see's his future)
Wanyama
Lamela
Nkoudou
Janssen
Llorente

In:
Wan-Bissaka
Sessengnon
Diawara
Ndombele
Malcom/Neres

Of course this doesn't count in the likely departures of Toby and Eriksen, but even if both of them did leave I reckon the only one we would actually replace would be Eriksen, so that would just be one extra signing.

Chances of the above happening are of course slim to none but if even something close to it were to transpire I think it would nicely freshen up the squad, specifically addressing our midfield and full back issues.

I agree with our need for 2-3 midfielders, but saying fullbacks is not a priority is just crazy. I will be physically hurt if we do not sign atleast one RB this summer.

Both KT and Aurier have proved not up to scratch, only Danny Rose has been decent out of all 4 actually.

Ben Davies is a good squad player and I can’t fault him as he’s reliable but we definitely need to address the right side at a minimum. KT is shipping goals like it’s his job. . .

You can't change 30% of the squad in one window. Probable leavers are are Vorm, Janssen, Llorente, Nkoudou, Wanyama, Alderweireld (probably), Eriksen (possibly) + Dembele replacement. That's 8 new faces without really trying.

The FBs are not a priority - only replace if one leaves. We need two or three CMs urgently and Kane backup.

Much of this should have been done last summer.

You can't change 30% of the squad in one window. Probable leavers are are Vorm, Janssen, Llorente, Nkoudou, Wanyama, Alderweireld (probably), Eriksen (possibly) + Dembele replacement. That's 8 new faces without really trying.

The FBs are not a priority - only replace if one leaves. We need two or three CMs urgently and Kane backup.

Much of this should have been done last summer.
One will definitely be leaving though, because they aren’t good enough. Hence why fullbacks become a priority in my eyes.

Plus not all of the players you mentioned will be replaced like for like. Only 1 player will come in for Llorente/Janssen we will not buy two strikers, and players like N’Koudou leaving does not effect the squad because he doesn’t play.

In our starting 11, two midfielders and 1 fullback are the immediate priority. Then replacing Eriksen if he leaves, I would not be surprised for Toby to leave and us work with Dier/Sanchez for the right-sided CB spot for one season. After all we did pay 40 mill for Sanchez and poch believes in him.

Last edited:
If we look at our CB purchases the last couple of years, Sanchez and Foyth were bought not only as backup options but as long term replacements for Toby and Jan.

It's such a vital summer coming up and it's tough because we need to plan for the future in a similar way to the above for anyone getting older or who looks like they might leave the next year or so but also replace stars who move on to bigger clubs, such as Eriksen potentially,. And somehow find a way to upgrade our weaknesses such as fullbacks and central midfield. It's so hard overall.

And in all of this Poch has to reshape us to however he wants us to play over the coming seasons. He has to somehow make this tie together coherently.

I really hope we can keep Eriksen because we need to keep our core as much as possible with all the change going on around the team.

Jesus some of you think it’s like buying new furniture for the House.....one of the reasons (granted, there were a few) we didn’t sign anyone last summer was the fact we couldn’t get shot of any of the players we wanted out, and nothing says we will find it easy this time around either.
We might be at a point where we have to seriously start thinking about paying up contracts just to get shot of the unwanted just to free up squad places, and balance quotas etc etc.

It's nothing really about transfers, at least not buying specific players in. I'm asking what direction people think our team and style of play are going to go in next. What the rebuild is going to look like and who we build it around. Poch has said himself it's on the cards and it's clear some players are going to leave or are coming to the end of their careers. Dembele has already gone so it's already begun.,
It will be interesting to see what style of play we opt for. We have seen the styles that Liverpool and City play has done unbelievable this season. This year we became a really robust team that ground out victories, I'm hoping we shift our style back to the high intensity pressing style that Poch first implemented. The squad does need rebuilding, I guess who will stay will depend on the style Poch goes for!

With the exception of Grealish, that’s pretty much what we have at the mo and the general mood is that our midfield is severely defficient.

You really think adding Grealish is the end of our problems?

Ditto Sessengon @ LB or LW...

Once again, computer games prove much simpler than real life it seems.

One will definitely be leaving though, because they aren’t good enough. Hence why fullbacks become a priority in my eyes.

Plus not all of the players you mentioned will be replaced like for like. Only 1 player will come in for Llorente/Janssen we will not buy two strikers, and players like N’Koudou leaving does not effect the squad because he doesn’t play.

In our starting 11, two midfielders and 1 fullback are the immediate priority. Then replacing Eriksen if he leaves, I would not be surprised for Toby to leave and us work with Dier/Sanchez for the right-sided CB spot for one season. After all we did pay 40 mill for Sanchez and poch believes in him.

OK, we disagree. If we get a bid forTrippier or Aurier AND we have a replacement lined up then OK.

However as a minimum we urgently need three midfielders (Dembele was never replaced) and we're running one short, plus a Kane stand in.

You then face the Lamela/Wanyama situation. Both injury ravaged and arguably past their best. Stick or twist?

With this number of possible changes it looks like a squad cull rather than a refresh. No squad of 25 ish can tolerate 40-50% new faces. They simply wont know each other in preparation for the first league game (three months away). I reckon a maximum of 5 new faces per window.

Shows what a waste last summer was.

Great thread, so many opinions and some good reasoning too.

I like the fact we all love OUR club and we all have a passion to see some players we like external to our club and players WE think would add value to OUR club.

Here are mine few, not talking about any leavers but the people I suggest will either be better than the squad backup at least.

I would go for a couple of young lads that still need to prove themselves but who have undoubted talent.

1st would be Grealish, this lad has as many haters as he does those that love him, in my eyes the lad would excel under Poch, he is only 24 and I think he would be a huge surprise and asset to us.

2nd Sessegnon, this lad is going to be a star, only 19 and he has so many attributes to make him a fantastic FB, plus Poch will again bring the best out of him

3rd Bale, at the right price he brings a certain tag, a statement of intent, regardless of what you think, he is still regarded as a World Class player, he brings a winning attitude, he has a never die spirit and he loves Spurs at the end of the day.

These would be additions to the current squad and then Poch to move a few on which he will be doing anyway. There are a few players I would like to see come in but those will be at the expense of a few of the current lads who at the moment due to their epic displays got us to the CL final so I will keep those to myself at the moment.

If we get Bale, I'm almost certain it will be as a 'sweetener' from Madrid for Eriksen...
I'd love both, but think if there's any truth to the rumour of Bale coming (albeit on loan), then it means Eriksen to Madrid unfortunately.

I may be (and have been) wrong!

I'd guess a lot of thinking at Spurs has gone into the 'Llorente and Lamela' should we replace them or not.

And IMO, probably the right decision is 'yes' providing we can get decent replacements in, but its tricky to be sure the ones coming in will be able to add significantly to the seasons goals and assists - but they be able to play more and therefore rest some of the others.

So here's this season's top goal scorers and assist makers in all competitions - all AM's or strikers as you might expect :

Total...………...Goals - Assists
30 - Harry Kane - 24 - 6
29 - Heung-Min Son - 20 - 9
26 - Christian Eriksen - 10 - 16
16 - Lucas Moura - 15 - 1
16 - Dele Alli - 7 - 9
13 - Fernando Llorente - 8 - 5
10 - Erik Lamela - 6 - 4

I doubt if too many teams can boast 7 players who are into double figures with combined goals and assists, sharing the load around is pretty exceptional.

I think Poch needs to rebuild. However that's the same every season. What is more interesting is can we apply a loose system to the player development.
Reading what Windy says about breaking into the first team at 22 we can assume a certain profile of playing:
19-22 Breaking into the first team (play cups/approx. 20% league games)
22-26 Playing alongside more experienced players to reach a peak (as above but 40-60% league)
27-30 Peak (70% league games)
30-33 Older statesman(back down to 30-50% league games) players used to teach/improve younger players etc.
I thought we were doing this with Wimmer but it seemed as though he just wasn't up to our required level. We are now doing this with Davinson and Juan - learn off Toby & Jan until the baton can be handed over.
Obviously the mix would vary and we will have to make purchases as players are found not to be good enough/can be improved.
If we don't develop a system of trying to develop and remove players then we end up having to perform major surgery frequently.

Back
Top Bottom