England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Quite surprised that Maddison didn't get a call up in all honesty.

He's definitely had a better season than Redmond and Ward-Prowse - a bit hypocritical of Southgate to call up Butland too after his comments of "needing to play in the Premier League to get a call up" bollocks.

Crazy how the likes of Delph are still getting call ups though - must be a versatility thing.

Quite surprised that Maddison didn't get a call up in all honesty.

He's definitely had a better season than Redmond and Ward-Prowse - a bit hypocritical of Southgate to call up Butland too after his comments of "needing to play in the Premier League to get a call up" bollocks.

Crazy how the likes of Delph are still getting call ups though - must be a versatility thing.

Agree on Maddison - certainly as a squad player, but good to get him playing sometime. Delph I think comes in on experience but if Loftus-Cheek was fit think both would have been called up.

Surprised Tammy Abrahams hasn't had another call up after a good season with Villa - after all Southgate called up Mount after a decent but not great loan at Derby....and E are short of strikers.

Agree on Maddison - certainly as a squad player, but good to get him playing sometime. Delph I think comes in on experience but if Loftus-Cheek was fit think both would have been called up.

Surprised Tammy Abrahams hasn't had another call up after a good season with Villa - after all Southgate called up Mount after a decent but not great loan at Derby....and E are short of strikers.

Southgate has already made his feelings clear on calling up players from the Championship - remember when he said Grealish wouldn't get a call up until he's playing Premier League football?

I'm not surprised Mount and Abraham haven't been called up or tried out again.

Delph and Dier are literally only in this team because of experience at international level and versatility in my view. Both are no where near good enough (or haven't been this season) to be in that England squad.

Wan-Bissaka and Maddison hard done by, in my view.

Not sure he's missed anyone else out that deserves to be there besides those two - but yeah, it IS for a tournament and not just friendlies or qualifiers so it's clear he's sticking with some of those players who helped get us here in the first place. I am sure we'll see some real changes after the tournament and into next season

Southgate has already made his feelings clear on calling up players from the Championship - remember when he said Grealish wouldn't get a call up until he's playing Premier League football?

Delph and Dier are literally only in this team because of experience at international level and versatility in my view. Both are no where near good enough (or haven't been this season) to be in that England squad.

Not sure he's missed anyone else out that deserves to be there besides those two - but yeah, it IS for a tournament and not just friendlies or qualifiers so it's clear he's sticking with some of those players who helped get us here in the first place. I am sure we'll see some real changes after the tournament and into next season

Tammy Abraham - disagree. He's scored 25 goals in 37 matches for Villa this season, the first Villa player to score 25 goals since Andy Gray in 1977, and was named in PFA Team of the Year. Agreed its the Championship but bizarre he was called up (far too early imo) 18 months ago before he'd played much.

Think the Villa season will be the making of him (he was scary playing at u18 and u23 level) providing Chelsea don't screw up his next phase of development - imo Abraham should leave Chelsea asap

But if he calls up a Championship player it opens Pandoras Box for him (cough Butland !)

Agree on
Wan-Bissaka and Maddison - both should definitely be in the squad increasing its size given Southgate knows the Spurs and Liverpool players probably will not be fit to start matches after CL final.

Tammy Abraham - disagree. He's scored 25 goals in 37 matches for Villa this season, the first Villa player to score 25 goals since Andy Gray in 1977, and was named in PFA Team of the Year. Agreed its the Championship but bizarre he was called up (far too early imo) 18 months ago before he'd played much.

Think the Villa season will be the making of him (he was scary playing at u18 and u23 level) providing Chelsea don't screw up his next phase of development - imo Abraham should leave Chelsea asap

But if he calls up a Championship player it opens Pandoras Box for him (cough Butland !)

Agree on
Wan-Bissaka and Maddison - both should definitely be in the squad increasing its size given Southgate knows the Spurs and Liverpool players probably will not be fit to start matches after CL final.

I'm not saying they don't deserve to get called up - but I'm not surprised they haven't been after Southgates comments on players NEEDING to be in the Premier League to be called up. He obviously sees Butland as just an experienced third choice goalkeeper so not really counting his Championship status.

Abraham needs to leave Chelsea - 100%

I'm not saying they don't deserve to get called up - but I'm not surprised they haven't been after Southgates comments on players NEEDING to be in the Premier League to be called up. He obviously sees Butland as just an experienced third choice goalkeeper so not really counting his Championship status.

Abraham needs to leave Chelsea - 100%

Agree with the sentiments that Southgate says - but Peter Taylor was called up for England whilst playing in the (then) 3rd tier of English football in the mid 70's ....before joining Spurs and he turned out all right ! Think Southgate needs to get out more to see all the players available !

Might include Luke Shaw in the 'hard done by list' - was ManU's player of the season (although their season was pretty poor by their standards).

Again to add numbers to the squad, especially as Rose is one of the LB's called up who won't/shouldn't play too much given the E games are only a few days after the CL final.

Southgate has said he will reduce the squad to 23 on May 27th - bad strategy for Spurs players if they are dropped as that must affect their confidence going into CL final.

A lot of big club bias from Southgate.

How have the likes of Delph, Dier, Trippier, Rashford, Lingard managed to get England call ups after being so rubish for pretty much majority of the season?

Beyond belief

How have the likes of Delph, Dier, Trippier, Rashford, Lingard managed to get England call ups after being so rubish for pretty much majority of the season?

Beyond belief
For example AWB has been MUCH better than Trippier and Walker this season, the only argument against him is that he hasn't got any experience on the international stage.

Beyond belief
It's common with with national teams. Same with us, they'll always be couple of them who are shit, but they've been around for years, so they get called up. Same with Germany, Spain etc..

Beyond belief

As posted on the previous page, these are probably the next choices after the squad he announced. A few to argue over like Maddison, Wan-Bissaka and Shaw but not too many others who are that much better than the squad he picked :

GK - Marcus Bettinelli, Nick Pope

Defenders - Chris Smalling, James Tarkowski, Lewis Dunk, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Wan-Bissaka

Midfield - Andros Townsend, the infamous Jack Wheel chair, James Maddison, Mason Mount, Adam Lallana, Lewis Cook (should now be fit ?), Demerarai Gray

Forwards - James Vardy, Tammy Abraham, Danny Ings

Then there are the current E u21 squad.

Quite an eye opener as to how many E u21's are playing, even if not in a top PL side.

Age old question - is Spurs now aiming too high in Pl and CL to pick up a couple of these for the future ? Maybe loaning them back to the selling club or maybe another club ?

Kyle Walker-Peters, Tom Davies and Ade Lookman, all ever presents for several years, are dropped as they get close to maximum age for u21's. Great shame for all 3 promising players.

Huge amount of experience. both at PL and other leagues in that E u21 squad.

The Academies are really starting to show just how many good players they are producing - and just how poor most PL clubs are at that 18-21 year old age group that they can only bring through a proportion at club level.

Forward Player missing off caption above is Dominic Solanke (Bournemouth)

Last edited:

Quite an eye opener as to how many E u21's are playing, even if not in a top PL side.

Age old question - is Spurs now aiming too high in Pl and CL to pick up a couple of these for the future ? Maybe loaning them back to the selling club or maybe another club ?

Huge amount of experience. both at PL and other leagues in that E u21 squad.

The Academies are really starting to show just how many good players they are producing - and just how poor most PL clubs are at that 18-21 year old age group that they can only bring through a proportion at club level.

As per your first post... It seems KWP might be best served to re-evaluate.

Hindsight may suggest we fucked him by buying Serge, but he's been waiting in the wings for 2 years now since an impressive first day start at Newcastle and Poch just doesn't seem to trust him....

Harsh to blame it soley on the errors he's made, because KT has made more (and more costly) errors throughout the season.

....Maybe one should pause for thought when getting too hung up on signing the likes of Sessengon too.

As per your first post... It seems KWP might be best served to re-evaluate.

Hindsight may suggest we fucked him by buying Serge, but he's been waiting in the wings for 2 years now since an impressive first day start at Newcastle and Poch just doesn't seem to trust him....

Harsh to blame it soley on the errors he's made, because KT has made more (and more costly) errors throughout the season.

....Maybe one should pause for thought when getting too hung up on signing the likes of Sessengon too.

If we sign the likes of Sessegnon, it has to be that Poch has a plan to bring him though - whether that's on loan somewhere or getting miutes at Spurs like he has with Foyth.

Buying Sessegnon without a plan would probably be a waste of the player and maybe £20m.

And Poch also needs to have a plan to bring through a few of our Academy lads too - After Skipp he seems to favour Jamie Bowden (MF) who has been 19th man a few times whilst Troy Parrott seems to be on everybody's lips etc. Otherwise we waste these too.

Difficult balancing act for Poch between buying in ready made players and developing some (whether bought in or Spurs academy developed). The Holy Grail of PL management tasks ?

If we sign the likes of Sessegnon, it has to be that Poch has a plan to bring him though - whether that's on loan somewhere or getting miutes at Spurs like he has with Foyth.

Buying Sessegnon without a plan would probably be a waste of the player and maybe £20m.

And Poch also needs to have a plan to bring through a few of our Academy lads too - After Skipp he seems to favour Jamie Bowden (MF) who has been 19th man a few times whilst Troy Parrott seems to be on everybody's lips etc. Otherwise we waste these too.

Difficult balancing act for Poch between buying in ready made players and developing some (whether bought in or Spurs academy developed). The Holy Grail of PL management tasks ?

It's not necessarily a criticism of the manager, but it is a quandry....

Thing is if we deem EPL & CL matches too big, then depending on how we do in the domestic cups; KWP, Skipp or whoever can easily expect to get as little as 180mins in a season... Even with a savage injury list this year, look how little they've played.

I also think slinging them in with a less than cohesive B-team expecting them to thrive does them little favours....

It's not necessarily a criticism of the manager, but it is a quandry....

Thing is if we deem EPL & CL matches too big, then depending on how we do in the domestic cups; KWP, Skipp or whoever can easily expect to get as little as 180mins in a season... Even with a savage injury list this year, look how little they've played.

I also think slinging them in with a less than cohesive B-team expecting them to thrive does them little favours....

That's why I think Poch has been moving away from his initial stance (5 years ago) of 'no loans' to 'lets see how loans do for a few players'

The Bellweather maybe Oliver Skipp - will he get enough minutes staying at Spurs next season or should be go on loan. And in pre-season, Sam Sashoua has done very well on loan this season, albeit at Spanish 3rd tier side, but does Poch take him on pre-season as Sam has shown enough to be involved with first team (he made PL bench before going on loan)

That's why I think Poch has been moving away from his initial stance (5 years ago) of 'no loans' to 'lets see how loans do for a few players'

The Bellweather maybe Oliver Skipp - will he get enough minutes staying at Spurs next season or should be go on loan. And in pre-season, Sam Sashoua has done very well on loan this season, albeit at Spanish 3rd tier side, but does Poch take him on pre-season as Sam has shown enough to be involved with first team (he made PL bench before going on loan)

Considering the popular view of our first XI needs this window:

i.e. RB, CM, possible Eriksen replacement.

I'd loan KWP , Skipp (& Sessengon if we buy him) next season.

Back
Top Bottom