Win or Just play well?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Win or Play well?

• Play well and get in Europe

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Win Trophies

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
To many posts I read on here and on social media show me some Spurs fans are just happy to play well. “Support them no matter what” yes that is true but surely you want us to Win trophies and I’m talking about anyone of the competitions we take part in?

I just don’t understand the mentality, these are the people we need to change.

Those fans are the ones that hold us back. They are the ones that the press say things like “they was happy to be in the final” sod that. I don’t care we got to the final. It’s not a big deal anymore, we lost. Some make out it was a big deal. Yes it was the first time. I get it. But we are supposed to be bigger than that. We need to think differently.

Well some of you lot do, if not please go and support West Ham.

So what camp are you in. Win or just happy to have a good playing well season?

We should try and win whilst playing good football. We're not a club that should be playing football like Burnley. However, you also need the ability to grind out results when it's not going your way.

To many posts I read on here and on social media show me some Spurs fans are just happy to play well. “Support them no matter what” yes that is true but surely you want us to Win trophies and I’m talking about anyone of the competitions we take part in?

I just don’t understand the mentality, these are the people we need to change.

Those fans are the ones that hold us back. They are the ones that the press say things like “they was happy to be in the final” sod that. I don’t care we got to the final. It’s not a big deal anymore, we lost. Some make out it was a big deal. Yes it was the first time. I get it. But we are supposed to be bigger than that. We need to think differently.

Well some of you lot do, if not please go and support West Ham.

So what camp are you in. Win or just happy to have a good playing well season?

At risk of getting splinters in my arse, long term it has to be a bit of both, surely. I would suggest that if we have a manager who is getting results and winning a trophy or two, if the football is dire and boring to watch, many fans will be turned off, regardless of the trophies, and that manager won't last too long.

Need to have the capability of generally playing good football, but with the ability to grind out boring 1-0 victories when it really really matters. I firmly believe Poch is still that man.

The 2 go together. Yes I am happy to get a scrappy 1-0 win but it is not sustainable and defeats follow when the team is not playing well. At Xmas the team played it's best football leading to large wins. This brings increased confidence on and off the field leading to more wins. In January with injuries and Son being on International duty we managed a few scrappy wins but could not sustain that and defeats followed. This calendar year we have not played well most of the time and lost more matches than in previous seasons. It is this poor form that led to us being underdogs in the CL final and we lacked confidence to really go for it and lost.
It is not about whether it is boring football but whether the standard is good enough to keep winning. Goals scored by my team Spurs are what excites me, not penalties obtained by aiming at a defenders arm or diving but good moves and good shots. If a team is relying on the former they will never be as successful as a team that scores good goals. A few scrappy wins is ok but the successful teams win comfortably.

Sorry I'm greedy - I want to win AND play good football. I don't know how many times I've watched the 1981 and 1991 cup finals but have never bothered with the 1982 one.

Playing well consistently leads to winning. I don't believe that any Spurs fan just wants to see good play without results. But, being realistic, not even Man City can win everything all the time.

That said, we need a trophy - a proper trophy - next season.

Im of the belief that playing well yields more wins.
Its literally win win.

All this grinding out results stuff is a bit of cliche for me....you can sit back and still play crap. Its not necessarily any safer than attacking.

Is all about getting the results. But i would not like to be watching Sam Allardyce type football every week. Or how Stoke City used to play when they were in the PL. Anyway we have always been a entertaining team to watch.

We won a trophy under George Graham. It was a brilliant day, but probably the most miserable period of being a Spurs fan I can remember.

I'll take playing well cheers. Our peak teams under Redknapp and Poch are the best I can remember since Venables.

I don't agree that trophies define success. I appreciate I might be the minority. I mean, if that is the measure, Gary Mabbutt's thigh in '87 was the difference between success and failure.

I think the power fans have is an overstatement. No way, do fans who believe that playing well is more important than trophies, have any bearing on the culture of the football club and on the pitch.

I take a lot of offense at the original post. Go support West Ham?

A lot of the mentality of fans are molded partly by Spurs performances over the decades. No one supported spurs because of the League cup they won over a decade ago, the FA Cup in 91, or the 80s. Venturing a guess, it was about the players and the kind of football they played.

The team needs to start challenging and that is only done by the ambitions of the players, chairman, and the manager. I think we already are. 2 finals, a few semifinals, and a title run.

Personally, if this poll was done 2/3/4 years ago, I am quite sure the results will be skewed differently.

I have voted for trophies this time.

Last edited:
I gonna say this past decade 2010/11 to 2018/19 we have had teams play some of the best football we have ever played, yet in the same breath this is the first decade since the 1940’s we haven’t won a trophy 🏆☹️

The financial rewards for winning any one of the domestic cup competition in relation to the rewards for winning the European trophy competitions has changed my perspective on the importance of either the league cup or FA cup. The concept of Glory isn’t to me what it once was.

Playing good football is important but at times winning ugly is still winning and it’s all about not losing! Glory today is about winning England’s top prize - the premier league title- but ultimate glory is winning the European champions league as Champions of England.

To win the Champions league having finished not 1st but 2nd, 3rd or 4th domestically would be lovely,but winning the ECL as English champions wold be GLORY GLORY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR!

Finishing outside the top four is for me failure; and if winning a domestic trophy, even the FA cup ,in a season that ends in us finishing outside the top four [that] for me would not be glory. This is not 1980/1 or 1981/2 , those days are gone and that vibe will never return.

I think unfourtunately we have got to a place where winning is everything, we must be in the top 4 season in season out and with that comes the problems of winning is everything and unable to risk letting young lads have match time
its not what I want be I think its were we are

I think the winning things becomes more onerous as each season without silverware goes by. I just see a worrying issue with the 'fans holding us back' comment.

I don't like it when you lose it almost becomes a competition for who is most angry /crest fallen /distraught. There you have the ingredients for AFTV. Social media is a cruel beast.

The truth is we want Spurs to do well, it's how we go about that which makes us all different.

Here's how far I am in the "Win" camp over the "Play Well" camp:

When I saw this thread, I thought it was about whether it's more important for the team to actually win an individual game or perform well enough so that it SHOULD have won an individual game. i.e. is it better to get a win even though we played poorly through some luck or whatnot or to lose even though we played well. This to me is a legitimate argument because if you just got lucky, it means your team is not performing well and will likely lose future games.

What I can NOT get my head around is the idea that "playing well" means gorgeous, attacking football. I'm American and this mentality is just completely foreign to most Americans. In the most recent men's college basketball tournament (i.e. "March Madness") the team that won it all is the University of Virginia. While they had some offensive talent, their style of play was defense first. Many of their games were rather low scoring. And over the course of the whole season they won 35 games to 3 losses. None of their fans were saying "oh man, this low scoring, defensive style of basketball is soooo boring." They were loving the ride of being winners! American fans are completely supportive of getting the results however you have to get them, and if that means playing a grind-it-out style because your team can do that better than the other team, then grind it out and get those Ws, baby!

Just remember: winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing.

Back
Top Bottom