Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

His trajectory very much depends on his next manager id suggest.

If they take in Lampard, I’d laugh my arse off as I don’t think he’s all that. But one thing he could do is improve Barkley. I suppose we just have to wait and see. I honestly didn’t see him getting near the England squad after his start at Chelsea and he got back in.

Time flys.... He's shown signs of a little bit of a bounceback the second half of last season, but taking into account his injury ravage last 18 months at Everton and 1 1/2 years of meh at Chelsea he'd have been a waste of a squad spot and wages for the last 3 years!

Who is going to tackle and win the ball back
TatteredRealAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

Earlier this year we were flying and looking like we could in fact win the league. Then the Burnley match happened and we couldn't buy a goal. Our star players - Kane, Eriksen, Alli all accused of losing form over the season and Trippier scapegoated for our poor form.

So, did our star players suddenly become crap? People suggesting Llorente get picked ahead of Kane in the ECL final. Calls to bench our most productive player in Eriksen.

No...Our weakness was exposed and other teams took advantage of it.

Previously we relied on 2 options to bring the ball out from the back.

1. Dembele step through their midfield and pick out Eriksen. Obivously; we lost Dembele. Sissoko did a great job defensively but wasn't able to pick out a clever pass. As a result Eriksen needed to drop deeper to get the ball and was not afforded the time on the ball required. With Eriksen now deeper, the defenders could closely mark Dele and Kane without the threat of Eriksen in an attacking position.

2. Toby play the long ball to our fall backs on the wing. Oppositions picked up on this and simply closed down Toby. This forced our full backs to drop deeper to pick up the sideways pass rather than run onto a long ball. This meant that Rose and Trips were under more pressure defensively and Trips was caught out on a few occasions by short passes he didn't want/expect.

3. In attack we don't tend to push players early into the box. As a result, early crosses are in effective as it is usually 4 or 5 against 1 striker. Oppositions knew that they therefore could afford more space to our full backs since an early ball wasn't an option. This allowed them to cut out the passing lanes to Dele, Eriksen and Kane.

In short : We weren't able to adjust quick enough due to not having the skillset available in our squad. Poor options in midfield crippled the ability of our creative players to find the ball in dangerous positions as they were forced to seek the 'easy pass'.

What we need : A midfield combination with good passing range to take or 3 opposition players out of the game with a clever pass. This will allow Eriksen and Alli to get on the ball in more dangerous positions and be able to play that clever ball for Son / Kane / Moura. It will also allow our full backs to move up the pitch earlier and thus draw their midfielders wide; creating more space.

Oh I heard we was fatigued

Things about to go pear shaped up the toon in a bit.

Their biggest asset... Not saying it will, but they won't be able to attract a similar caliber manager to make chicken salad out of chicken shit, so as a potential buyer (see rumoured takeover) I'd be re-considering....

Who is going to tackle and win the ball back

If you dominate possession you need to win the ball back less, also to be a good number 6 you don’t have to be a great tackler. Winks has shown tremendous positional improvement, Carrick became a great number 6 without being an out and out tackler, Modric was a top notch defensive player without always tackling but reading the game and being in the correct position to screen the centre backs.

Aside from that Ndombele is a very powerful ball winner, he is just so much more than a ball winner.

WBA? Owned by NC, loaned to Fulham last year.... EDIT: He since signed for Fulham actually.

He'd go mental being sat on our the bench most weeks... Bit of a 'character' this lad.

Rondon or Mitrovic? I think Rondon would be pretty sweet as backup/ rotation for Kane. Rumours that he has a £16.5m buyout clause this summer as well mate:

Rondon or Mitrovic? I think Rondon would be pretty sweet as backup/ rotation for Kane. Rumours that he has a £16.5m buyout clause this summer as well mate:

Fucked-up post on my part... Since deleted... Sorry dude.

Whereas your latest contributions are what the forum needs, of course.
You barely talk about Spurs at all.
You mean the forum where there's nothing to say as we actually have no football to talk about.
Hard to talk about how Rose or KWP or Sissoko are doing when they're not playing matches for THFC atm.
Hard to discuss Poch's team selections or tactics if he's not coaching right now.

As we stand here today we have two viable topics, transfers (of which we've made none) and the new kit (of which we've not yet had revealed). There's no current empirical evidence on any other spurs related topic to discuss.

But as an olive branch, I'll indulge you.

Maybe I've been a little harsh on Samuel. He probably has his heart in the right place deep down, as you probably do as well. I apologise.

Let's look at his bugbear of not dropping Kane, Eriksen and Dele, and not having guys to allow that to happen.
Are they really the problem? Or merely a bad symptom of the overall root cause of our weaknesses?

Kane in 18/19 had his lowest shots per game tally since breaking through, is that him in poor form or not getting enough supply? I'd lean towards the latter.

Eriksen, for instance actually had a season better than I expect many think he did.

Only two assists off Lionel Messi, and as many as Hazard who just became a galactico.

So how about Dele, sure his goals and assists weren't as good as other seasons, and sure he had an injury or two, but again is he the problem or merely a symptom?

If we look at peak Dele of 2016-18 where he'd make marauding runs into the box late and score goals. Get assists and headers etc. What did we have??? We had a dynamic playmaker who opened teams defences (Eriksen), we had a powerful base in midfield through Dembele, and his partner Dier. We had dynamic fullbacks who bombed forward but also had the pace to get back. Lots of those aspects are gone now.

In that period Rose and Walker created width in the final third, and often overloaded the opposition fullback which stretches, contorts and disorganises their defensive shape. This benefited not onle Dele being able to ghost in unmarked, but also Kane finding pockets of space to exploit and get a shot off, often hitting the back of the net. Also had Dembele who could pick the ball up from deep, and with his ball control skills draw two opponents to the ball (leaving someone unmarked elsewhere) whilst having the power to seamlessly glide past opposition midfielders to beat their press or first bank of 4. Simultaneously having a partner in crime Dier, who would drop deeper to form a back 3 to keep defensively solid so that Rose and Walker could stretch the opposition outwide as Dembele and Eriksen pull the strings in the middle of the pitch.

This is largely gone now, so is it surprising that Dele's output is down, and Kane had a career low season for shots taken?

Isn't this the reason why the masses are stating we need to sign central midfielders and fullbacks?
Not guys that bench 2 AM's and our CF when they're off 'form'. Chances are imo if we don't solve CM and can't get some dynamism in the wide areas that whoever comes into the team for said benched Kane and Alli may just not fare any better.

On Trippier, given we're talking about what we've lost. Sure he has that forward momentum we crave, he loves to get into advanced positions. Just doesn't have the electric pace of Walker, or the game awareness and positioning to bail himself out when it goes tits up. As a result he was solely or partly responsible for too many goals last campaign.

Back
Top Bottom