Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where I was born , Ilford, we were a London Borough, served by North East London buses and referred to as East London whenever there was a shooting etc

No wonder I’m confused

The old metropolitan borough of shoreditch,hoxton and haggerston had n.e postcodes .. if it wasnt so hard to post photos here i'd post some of the said boroughs finest yids circa mid 70s
Either side of shoreditch high st is now either N.1 Or E.1
All my family are from the above, they were staunch East Enders and never referred to themselves in the North sense. Never could work it out myself

Where I was born , Ilford, we were a London Borough, served by North East London buses and referred to as East London whenever there was a shooting etc

No wonder I’m confused
It still IS referred to as East London whenever there's a shooting/stabbing...
It's Media code for: 'prepare yourself, Ilford Warzone story coming up..."

...I always used to say I was from North East London (when I don't wanna say Ilford/Essex, or if I think someone will judge me!)

Thanks for all the info in this thread. We've spent the best part of two months trying to track down Paul Wombell. Finally have an email address and waiting for a response.

I'll be going through all this and PM people to set up a phone call/interview - see what the interest is.

Cheers!
I have an original copy of " Tottenham Boys We Are Here" I am a season ticket holder of 30 Years

I feel a bit down about the following...
Both before the Man City CL and after the Final screening some locals thought it cool to
a) Walk past the ground which was busy and chant for City.
b) Cycle past (so brave) the hordes walking down the High Road and have a laugh and a dig.
Went upto Tottenham a couple of times the weekend after the CL final and saw I think it was an equal number of Lpool and Woolwich shirts around to Spurs (two of each and I think they were shop customers).
Went upto the shop today and one Lpool shirt being worn by a kid in Sainsbury's and one Dortmund(!) shirt by a kid on Park Lane I think it was.
The fact that these kids have been bought shirts means it's not a question of cost.
Is there little immediate local loyalty to the club?

I feel a bit down about the following...
Both before the Man City CL and after the Final screening some locals thought it cool to
a) Walk past the ground which was busy and chant for City.
b) Cycle past (so brave) the hordes walking down the High Road and have a laugh and a dig.
Went upto Tottenham a couple of times the weekend after the CL final and saw I think it was an equal number of Lpool and Woolwich shirts around to Spurs (two of each and I think they were shop customers).
Went upto the shop today and one Lpool shirt being worn by a kid in Sainsbury's and one Dortmund(!) shirt by a kid on Park Lane I think it was.
The fact that these kids have been bought shirts means it's not a question of cost.
Is there little immediate local loyalty to the club?

We're outnumbered. I'd say there's 25% max - Tottenham fans in Tottenham.
Gooners the most, Liverpool & Man Utd combined possibly have more than us.
Most of our fans in the area don't wear colours(me included), they all came out though when we got in the final.

Most of our fans in the area don't wear colours(me included), they all came out though when we got in the final.
Meh, that confirms what I feared!

Richmond Spurs had a good mob back in the early 80's.
I remember Chelscum talking about it going off down there on the Friday night, before we played them away in the 84/85 season.

That was probably the New Malden night when Chelsea's main lot got chased everywhere by the South/West London Spurs, including the Richmond lads.

Last edited:
Ah... My first and only London postcode. N1 5EH, what a dump. Lived about 6 people in a 4-room apartment. Downstairs neighbours had some sort of weed-operation going in so it was like being hit with a truck of smell everytime you went into the building.
Fucking jokers of landlords took £2000 a month.

I enjoyed walking the area though. Some great pubs on the other side of the Regent's Canal.

Once had a walk to the Lane. That's when I grasped how big the city actually is.

Richmond Spurs had a good mob back in the early 80's.
I remember Chelscum talking about it going off down there on the Friday night, before we played them away in the 84/85 season.

I seem to remember a fella called Julian who was one of the Richmond boys (but fucked if I can remember any of the others), I was from Ham originally and knew a few of them, but moved and ended up knocking about with another bunch from other parts of Surrey (Walton, Adlestone, Staines, Wraysbury).

That was probably the New Malden night when Chelsea's main lot got chased everywhere by the South/West London Spurs, including the Richmond lads.

I'm pretty sure this was what he's talking about, I remember talking about it on SC about 5 years ago.....Edit....fuck me found the post of mine on SC from 2015:

Do you remember that West Ham fella who used to knock about in the early eighties? Sure his name was Jimmy Noble?

South Tottenham (beyond Seven Sisters) perhaps, but North Tottenham, I'd say no.
Lots of Spurs around me. Not many go, but they are Spurs nonetheless. Very few scum and literally zero Mancs and Scouse

Spurs always went in the Boothen end at Stoke and there was always a huge round of applause as they were led around the pitch back to the away end after their exploits. One memory that sticks from Stoke (think it was the 1975 FA cup) when the 'firm' were joining the away end i thought they were singing 'we're the bummy Tottenham army' (stay with me) but it was Northern Spurs and of course it was barmy Tottenham army. Silly what you remember really. That replay was played on a Saturday because their stand blew down midweek.We went up to Newcastle in the semi final of the league cup that week too (lost both games) and at the following home game you were considered disloyal if you hadn't been to both!
Talking of Newcastle that season - we played them home in the League last game of the season and lost 3-0. The only time I ever sat in the East Upper for a League game. Anyway, I always remember us kicking off in the 2nd half and Chiv trying to score straight from the halfway line. Funny how certain things stay in the memory.
It was also his last game for us.

I was only 11 so no colt 45 for me but to this day Swindon is my favourite ever game at WHL the noise was unreal
There was talk leading up to the replay of 10,000 Swindon making the trip. Not even half that in the end. Think a lot of them were put off by potential trouble...as Spurs were in their end in the first game, and of course the programme hut fire.

Back
Top Bottom