Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see Lo Celso as an upgrade on Lamela personally. I think Ceballos would have been the Eriksen replacement and us losing interest in him means the club believe Eriksen will stay.

It'll be interesting to see what Lamela's role is if we sign Lo Celso and Eriksen stays.

Lo Celso strikes me as a deep midfielder that can ping passes and break out with the ball, Lamela defo a more attacking mid

Lo Celso strikes me as a deep midfielder that can ping passes and break out with the ball, Lamela defo a more attacking mid

That's the thing about Lo Celso, like all top players, he could play multiple roles. Lamela is quite limited in where he can play - on the right, cutting inside to a central position to look for a through ball - and play a through ball, even if one's not there to play. I just don't see Lamela's role anymore with Lo Celso coming in. Sessegnon will probably get minutes as a sub first as an attacking player ahead of him.

That's the thing about Lo Celso, like all top players, he could play multiple roles. Lamela is quite limited in where he can play - on the right, cutting inside to a central position to look for a through ball - and play a through ball, even if one's not there to play. I just don't see Lamela's role anymore with Lo Celso coming in. Sessegnon will probably get minutes as a sub first as an attacking player ahead of him.

It’s a shame as I love Lamela’s grit and on his day he is a very good player, but I’m not sure he fits into the way Poch wants to play now. I do think Poch will keep him around though as he’s clearly good for the dressing room and useful squad player

Lamela adds good squad depth if he's happy to do so. Let's be honest it's a squad game now the only way you achieve something of significance if by having two excellent options for each position.

If we can get our squad shaping up like the following it looks pretty impressive, probably the best Spurs squad I've ever seen:

Lloris/ Gazzaniga
Aurier/ RB
Alderweireld/ Foyth
Vertonghen/ Sanchez
Davies/ Sessegnon
Winks/ Dier
Ndombele/ Sissoko
Eriksen/ Lamela
Dele/ Lucas
Lo Celso/ Son
Kane/ Parrott

KWP, Skipp, a few of the other academy kids that showed promise the other day adding depth etc and let's be honest that's a proper looking squad.

Looking at it though I can see no new RB coming in, meaning Foyth will probably get minutes there and Dier will go back and forth between DF & DM. A cheeky swoop for someone like Hysaj at RB along with Sessegnon and Lo Celso would get our squad looking like it had a real dark horse shot at a major trophy moving forward.

It’s a shame as I love Lamela’s grit and on his day he is a very good player, but I’m not sure he fits into the way Poch wants to play now. I do think Poch will keep him around though as he’s clearly good for the dressing room and useful squad player

Going off his performance against Juventus in pre season Lamela is EXACTLY what poch wants.

High intensity, high pressure, full of energy, tracking back and winning balls, driving the ball forward and - scores a goal.

For the the player that has disappointing me to most recently is Alli. He seems to lose the ball a lot and lacks pace and decisiveness on the ball. However, he has always got that clever pass in him and that is why he pops up with so many assists.

Assuming Eriksen stays, in my opinion we will play Lo Celso and N'Dombele in midfield; behind Eriksen, Son, Alli and Kane. This will give us a very direct approach and allows us to easily switch to a defensive formation by switching out Alli for Winks or Sissoko and if we need pace - Moura and Lamela.

Going off his performance against Juventus in pre season Lamela is EXACTLY what poch wants.

High intensity, high pressure, full of energy, tracking back and winning balls, driving the ball forward and - scores a goal.

For the the player that has disappointing me to most recently is Alli. He seems to lose the ball a lot and lacks pace and decisiveness on the ball. However, he has always got that clever pass in him and that is why he pops up with so many assists.

Assuming Eriksen stays, in my opinion we will play Lo Celso and N'Dombele in midfield; behind Eriksen, Son, Alli and Kane. This will give us a very direct approach and allows us to easily switch to a defensive formation by switching out Alli for Winks or Sissoko and if we need pace - Moura and Lamela.

I think we are more likely to play a 3 in midfield if Eriksen stays and Lo Celso comes in

Reason being is that Ndombele while he can play DM is more an 8 and you lose a lot of what you get with him if you use him deep. Hence Winks in a deep role with Lo Celso and Ndombele, plus Sissoko and Skipp to provide cover.

I think Dele will really have to up his game this season. I can honestly see Lucas, Dele and Lamela on the bench with Kane, Eriksen and Son as our main attackers in front of Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele.

That would be ideal but I can't see it, Eriksen money will cover Lo Celso, Rose money will cover Sess, Janssen+ Dembele Wanyama and Tripps will cover most of the N'dombele fee, Levy is desperately trying for a break even window.

If that’s the case then we still need a further AM. Last season we where going for Grealish, not to replace Eriksen but as cover/competition.

If Eriksen goes and Lo Celso replaces him that’s one for one. You are then reliant on Lamela as the creative AM cover for Eriksen and we know what his injury record is like.

Thing with Lo Celso is that I like a player who is skillful but (this bit is the rugby player in me coming out)...I also want someone who can 'put himself about' and mix it with the opposition when required. Exerting a physical presence on the pitch can do wonders for intimidating opposing defenders. No need to kick boltholes out of them but the odd 'overly enthusiastic' tackle can do wonders for gaining an advantage. Watching Lo Celso clips I get the feeling he would do exactly that and isn't a player who would shirk a 50/50 ball.
Love to see him pull on a Spurs shirt :coys:
What you have said there was 100% confirmed by a Betis supporting mate

How many people here have actually watched Lo Celso? Just curious... Want to know what we're actually getting, and I don't trust most of you.
As I have said before, he is the dogs bollocks: Very good football brain and moves the ball around very well.

Back
Top Bottom