Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Alyson Rudd is a poor football journalist, but your rant is as two footed as hers in many ways, as even that radar shows he's got some severe deficiencies and they are things people also see with their eyes - like his poor distribution and claims. And I doubt anyone's opinion of Lloris was based on Alyson Rudd's rant, more the fact that they have watched him for years almost every game.

The below tells a different story about his shot stopping from last season for example. Only his positioning and aggressive distance were scoring high, shot stopping clearly poor, along with distribution and claiming balls (which remain poor this season) he should be.

Overall I think he's had a better season than last, but one of the reason's his shot stopping score has risen is almost certainly due to us facing much more shots and better quality shots (x/g wise) as this is how their metric is derived by evaluating the x/g of shots faced and the quantity.

He's a decent keeper, but plenty of the criticism has been fair and is fuck all to do with Alyson Rudd. The issue has always been "who would we upgrade him with", not that he's perfect (who is).

I singled out Rudd because she has had a personal vendetta against him from him getting done for drink driving. She came out at said, "the media have let him off lightly". She has subsequently written multiple articles about him, all season. This formulates opinion. There are very few people (fans) who are free thinkers in football, the acid test is to log in here when I get back from a match, it's like I've watched a different game. I thin rewatch the game again and then I understand why some things get said, they are quoting almost word for word what the co-coms are saying. You know the ridiculous stuff "Eriksen the wonder free kick taker" as he lines up to take a free kick.

They create opinion, they say it enough times and it becomes true.

Rudd stuff is just my personal complaint, nothing more than that because she got on my tits.

I have posted what I thought was excellent analysis on 'keepers, for which there is very few and no consensus what stats are appropriate to use to show how good/bad they are, there is a lot to be done in this area. But it ain't the ones used today like clean sheets etc.. Anyway, if you are interested it's logical and made sense to me, it has Lloris still one of the top 5 'keepers in the World. This includes him not being able to kick well or distribute quickly. I agree with some of the stuff you've listed too.

This is a nice article.

For anyone that was driven mad by the website....

Mauricio Pochettino and Hugo Lloris - the falling out that would forge a special friendship

The Argentine and Frenchman have a close relationship that began with a falling out

The moment Mauricio Pochettino completely burst into tears in the Johan Cruyff Arena on Wednesday night came when he embraced Hugo Lloris, his Tottenham Hotspur captain.

The two men are chalk and cheese on the face of it. Pochettino is all Latin passion and wears his heart on his sleeve while Lloris is the stoic skipper, rarely breaking from character other than in extreme moments like his sprint across the length of the Ajax pitch to join the celebrations after Lucas Moura's dramatic winner.

When the two men hugged out there on the turf, taking in the fact that they would both take part in their first ever Champions League final, it was the latest stop on a long journey, one with ups and downs aplenty on and off the pitch.

When Pochettino arrived at the club in May 2014, one of his first jobs that summer was to convince Lloris to remain in north London. The new Spurs boss would later admit that he "needed to change [Lloris'] way of thinking about life and his profession".

Pochettino had to transform the whole ethos of the club from the inside out, with plenty of egos and some vocal players who weren't on board that he needed to move out of the squad.
He used Lloris as a figurehead, a world class player in the ranks to set the example. The two have spent hours since the Argentine's arrival talking about football and life.

Pochettino saw the Frenchman as the best goalkeeper in the world and made him the captain and his leader because "he's a mature person, a moral leader who has real authority, because of his professionalism and because of the way he is".

The Spurs manager considers Lloris to be a member of his coaching staff and his explanation is that "he embodies the philosophy that we want to champion in our game when he's on the pitch: possession, attacking mentality, not in fear of a high line, an active and brave goalkeeper who's good on the ball".

Yet before the start of Pochettino's second season at the club, the pair had a brief falling out. The Tottenham manager tells the story in his book "A Brave New World".

"In our second season, Hugo Lloris fractured his wrist while on holiday in Ibiza in an innocuous incident. I knew nothing about it until much later. Apparently he got it X-rayed and the fracture wasn't visible, so he didn't mention it," he explained.

"The problem was discovered when he went back to France. He felt so ashamed for a week that he didn't dare admit what had happened. I eventually received a WhatsApp from him containing details of what had transpired, but I didn't reply.

"I know he knew I’d read it. He spoke to Toni [Jiminez, Spurs' goalkeeping coach] who got angry with him. At the start of pre-season I told him to come to my office. It wasn't the injury that bothered me, more the fact that he hadn't trusted me.

"He told me it wasn't down to a lack of trust, but that he felt embarrassed to tell his manager the injury was caused by something so stupid.

"It has taken us time to heal the rift that had developed between us. Hugo, who didn't want to mix private and professional matters, now understands what I am asking of him: he can speak to me about anything and everything without my passing judgement.

"If he’s with me, it has to be 100 per cent; 99 per cent doesn't cut it. I share things with him and he does so with me."

Ever since that moment the duo's manager and captain bond has flourished, even with the occasional winding up of the serious Frenchman.

"National team captains voted for the Best FIFA Football Coach by choosing their top three," remembered Pochettino. "Victor Wanyama picked me first, but Hugo Lloris didn’t choose me at all.

"I told [Spurs' press officer] Simon Felstein to tell him that I was absolutely furious when I found out. I still laugh when I remember his sheepish face next time that! saw him."

After three consecutive top three finishes in the Premier League, last summer brought the pinnacle of achievement for Lloris and he was quick to pay tribute to the part Pochettino had played in it.

"What is Tottenham? What makes the coaching staff proud?" asked Pochettino in an interview with Spanish media this month. "That a goalkeeper such as Hugo Lloris, who adapted to our philosophy, who improved us, who works hard and a year ago won the World Cup, came to me and said 'Boss, your World Cup is here'.

"And there it was! His World Cup was there! He came and brought it to me and said 'Here you are'. What title could give you a bigger sense of satisfaction? None! There isn’t anything better than a world champion, France’s captain, lifting up the trophy and instead of having it at his home, he brought it to me."

There was a big low on the horizon though for Lloris as in the early months of this season he was charged with drink driving and the pressure was on Pochettino to strip the Frenchman of his capataincy.
Instead the Spurs boss, while acknowledging the dangerous and stupid actions of his skipper, stood by him and made it clear that it was an out of character incident.

Once again that forged an even closer bond between the two men and they embraced on the pitch after the Frenchman put in a star performance at Old Trafford just days after the incident.

"It is a special and strong relationship, and has been from the start -- ever since his first telephone call after the 2014 World Cup," Lloris told L'Equipe. "I was immediately convinced.

"I remember Manchester very well. I know what happened from the inside, and he was there, as were his staff. It's an accident that serves as a lesson to you, and you move on.

"There was a lot of reaction, but you have to stay outside of all that. I made a mistake. I accept it and I'm still accepting it, because 20 months without your licence -- now I have all the taxi apps."

Pochettino has always had his captain's back. Whenever his form has dropped or he's made mistakes in big games, the Argentine has been there to remind people of the quality of his goalkeeper.

He stepped in again this week to shoot down claims that Harry Kane had been a crucial voice in the dressing room at half-time at Ajax. Nobody was about undermine his captain.

"The one who lifted them before they went on the pitch was our captain, Hugo Lloris. I remember the words of Hugo Lloris as I was leaving the dressing room. He was shouting, 'We are close, we need to score one goal more, never give up and try because the moment we score we're going to be in the tie'," he said.

"We didn't deserve to be 2-0 down. That's why I said, 'Keep going, be relaxed.' It wasn't a teamtalk like Woolwich, when I nearly broke my hand and I needed to scream, and I needed to spark the players, because the players were focused. It was a bit unfair.

"He was there Harry, listening to us. Maybe Trippier loved Harry was there and for himself it translated a confidence. I promise our captain was very good, with the last word and before the game too, with the last word. It's always our captain who talks after me. Hugo was brilliant."

Spurs will head to Madrid on June 1 with a belief that they can create history and a strength that cascades down from the bond between manager and captain.

For Lloris there would be no Champions League final and no current Tottenham Hotspur rise without the Argentine.

"The Tottenham project is the Mauricio Pochettino project," he said. "He has been there years -- he has done extraordinary work and even though he's not yet been rewarded with trophies, it's very, very high level stuff.
"I'm not going to hide it. It's more than a classic captain-coach relationship. But we know how to separate things. There is a lot of respect between us."

Pochettino will be hoping that the pair will soon enjoy another long chat about football and life in his office, with another major trophy sitting on his desk.

For anyone that was driven mad by the website....

Mauricio Pochettino and Hugo Lloris - the falling out that would forge a special friendship

The Argentine and Frenchman have a close relationship that began with a falling out

The moment Mauricio Pochettino completely burst into tears in the Johan Cruyff Arena on Wednesday night came when he embraced Hugo Lloris, his Tottenham Hotspur captain.

The two men are chalk and cheese on the face of it. Pochettino is all Latin passion and wears his heart on his sleeve while Lloris is the stoic skipper, rarely breaking from character other than in extreme moments like his sprint across the length of the Ajax pitch to join the celebrations after Lucas Moura's dramatic winner.

When the two men hugged out there on the turf, taking in the fact that they would both take part in their first ever Champions League final, it was the latest stop on a long journey, one with ups and downs aplenty on and off the pitch.

When Pochettino arrived at the club in May 2014, one of his first jobs that summer was to convince Lloris to remain in north London. The new Spurs boss would later admit that he "needed to change [Lloris'] way of thinking about life and his profession".

Pochettino had to transform the whole ethos of the club from the inside out, with plenty of egos and some vocal players who weren't on board that he needed to move out of the squad.
He used Lloris as a figurehead, a world class player in the ranks to set the example. The two have spent hours since the Argentine's arrival talking about football and life.

Pochettino saw the Frenchman as the best goalkeeper in the world and made him the captain and his leader because "he's a mature person, a moral leader who has real authority, because of his professionalism and because of the way he is".

The Spurs manager considers Lloris to be a member of his coaching staff and his explanation is that "he embodies the philosophy that we want to champion in our game when he's on the pitch: possession, attacking mentality, not in fear of a high line, an active and brave goalkeeper who's good on the ball".

Yet before the start of Pochettino's second season at the club, the pair had a brief falling out. The Tottenham manager tells the story in his book "A Brave New World".

"In our second season, Hugo Lloris fractured his wrist while on holiday in Ibiza in an innocuous incident. I knew nothing about it until much later. Apparently he got it X-rayed and the fracture wasn't visible, so he didn't mention it," he explained.

"The problem was discovered when he went back to France. He felt so ashamed for a week that he didn't dare admit what had happened. I eventually received a WhatsApp from him containing details of what had transpired, but I didn't reply.

"I know he knew I’d read it. He spoke to Toni [Jiminez, Spurs' goalkeeping coach] who got angry with him. At the start of pre-season I told him to come to my office. It wasn't the injury that bothered me, more the fact that he hadn't trusted me.

"He told me it wasn't down to a lack of trust, but that he felt embarrassed to tell his manager the injury was caused by something so stupid.

"It has taken us time to heal the rift that had developed between us. Hugo, who didn't want to mix private and professional matters, now understands what I am asking of him: he can speak to me about anything and everything without my passing judgement.

"If he’s with me, it has to be 100 per cent; 99 per cent doesn't cut it. I share things with him and he does so with me."

Ever since that moment the duo's manager and captain bond has flourished, even with the occasional winding up of the serious Frenchman.

"National team captains voted for the Best FIFA Football Coach by choosing their top three," remembered Pochettino. "Victor Wanyama picked me first, but Hugo Lloris didn’t choose me at all.

"I told [Spurs' press officer] Simon Felstein to tell him that I was absolutely furious when I found out. I still laugh when I remember his sheepish face next time that! saw him."

After three consecutive top three finishes in the Premier League, last summer brought the pinnacle of achievement for Lloris and he was quick to pay tribute to the part Pochettino had played in it.

"What is Tottenham? What makes the coaching staff proud?" asked Pochettino in an interview with Spanish media this month. "That a goalkeeper such as Hugo Lloris, who adapted to our philosophy, who improved us, who works hard and a year ago won the World Cup, came to me and said 'Boss, your World Cup is here'.

"And there it was! His World Cup was there! He came and brought it to me and said 'Here you are'. What title could give you a bigger sense of satisfaction? None! There isn’t anything better than a world champion, France’s captain, lifting up the trophy and instead of having it at his home, he brought it to me."

There was a big low on the horizon though for Lloris as in the early months of this season he was charged with drink driving and the pressure was on Pochettino to strip the Frenchman of his capataincy.
Instead the Spurs boss, while acknowledging the dangerous and stupid actions of his skipper, stood by him and made it clear that it was an out of character incident.

Once again that forged an even closer bond between the two men and they embraced on the pitch after the Frenchman put in a star performance at Old Trafford just days after the incident.

"It is a special and strong relationship, and has been from the start -- ever since his first telephone call after the 2014 World Cup," Lloris told L'Equipe. "I was immediately convinced.

"I remember Manchester very well. I know what happened from the inside, and he was there, as were his staff. It's an accident that serves as a lesson to you, and you move on.

"There was a lot of reaction, but you have to stay outside of all that. I made a mistake. I accept it and I'm still accepting it, because 20 months without your licence -- now I have all the taxi apps."

Pochettino has always had his captain's back. Whenever his form has dropped or he's made mistakes in big games, the Argentine has been there to remind people of the quality of his goalkeeper.

He stepped in again this week to shoot down claims that Harry Kane had been a crucial voice in the dressing room at half-time at Ajax. Nobody was about undermine his captain.

"The one who lifted them before they went on the pitch was our captain, Hugo Lloris. I remember the words of Hugo Lloris as I was leaving the dressing room. He was shouting, 'We are close, we need to score one goal more, never give up and try because the moment we score we're going to be in the tie'," he said.

"We didn't deserve to be 2-0 down. That's why I said, 'Keep going, be relaxed.' It wasn't a teamtalk like Woolwich, when I nearly broke my hand and I needed to scream, and I needed to spark the players, because the players were focused. It was a bit unfair.

"He was there Harry, listening to us. Maybe Trippier loved Harry was there and for himself it translated a confidence. I promise our captain was very good, with the last word and before the game too, with the last word. It's always our captain who talks after me. Hugo was brilliant."

Spurs will head to Madrid on June 1 with a belief that they can create history and a strength that cascades down from the bond between manager and captain.

For Lloris there would be no Champions League final and no current Tottenham Hotspur rise without the Argentine.

"The Tottenham project is the Mauricio Pochettino project," he said. "He has been there years -- he has done extraordinary work and even though he's not yet been rewarded with trophies, it's very, very high level stuff.
"I'm not going to hide it. It's more than a classic captain-coach relationship. But we know how to separate things. There is a lot of respect between us."

Pochettino will be hoping that the pair will soon enjoy another long chat about football and life in his office, with another major trophy sitting on his desk.
I give up on that website, the amount of ads on it that slow it down drives me nuts, also the sneaky links that take you to another article when you think you are clicking on an arrow to view an image in a series posted just makes me log off. Major shame as I like Gold as he's 100% focused on Spurs stuff.

Didier Deschamps
Mauro Tassotti
Danny Blind
Gianluca Vialli
Matthias Sammer
Manuel Sanchis
Peter Schmeichel
Stefan Effenberg
Fernando Hierro
Paolo Maldini
Jorge Costa
Steven Gerrard
Carles Puyol
Rio Ferdinand
Javier Zanetti
Xavi
Frank Lampard
Philip Lahm
Iker Casillas
Andres Iniesta
Sergio Ramos

These are all the players who have lifted the UEFA Champions League in its current form, Hugo would join a very elite list. He would also be just the fourth person behind Didier Deschamps, Iker Casillas and Philip Lahm to lift both the Champions League and World Cup in their current form (obviously more have done it when it was the European Cup, but impressive nonetheless).

This is what a Captain is! Many are given the armband to keep them happy, many because they point and shout a lot.

4BltBAZ8

Didier Deschamps
Mauro Tassotti
Danny Blind
Gianluca Vialli
Matthias Sammer
Manuel Sanchis
Peter Schmeichel
Stefan Effenberg
Fernando Hierro
Paolo Maldini
Jorge Costa
Steven Gerrard
Carles Puyol
Rio Ferdinand
Javier Zanetti
Xavi
Frank Lampard
Philip Lahm
Iker Casillas
Andres Iniesta
Sergio Ramos

These are all the players who have lifted the UEFA Champions League in its current form, Hugo would join a very elite list. He would also be just the fourth person behind Didier Deschamps, Iker Casillas and Philip Lahm to lift both the Champions League and World Cup in their current form (obviously more have done it when it was the European Cup, but impressive nonetheless).

On the other hand having Henderson on this list would be just wrong.

Last edited:
Surprised that no-one has mentioned Hugo's absence due to tonsillitis - had to check the official site!

Hope it's not going to be an Eric scenario, whereas he has one illness after another. Didn't think adults got tonsillitis.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned Hugo's absence due to tonsillitis - had to check the official site!

Hope it's not going to be an Eric scenario, whereas he has one illness after another. Didn't think adults got tonsillitis.
Does he have a
in ze throat Mrs P?

Last edited:
Does he have a in ze throat Mrs P?

Admin Admin

Here's one of those posts I was talking about.
I can see what pleb pleb has written and I'm sure there should be a picture or Giph in there. On my screen it's just a blank space.

pleb pleb , please don't change it so Case can see it and fix for future. Thanks

Edit; When I put the cursor over the blank space, "related giphs" appears.

Admin Admin

I can see what pleb pleb has written and I'm sure there should be a picture or Giph in there. On my screen it's just a blank space.

pleb pleb , please don't change it so Case can see it and fix for future. Thanks

Yeah, not really sure what the issue is. Only seems to effect certain giphy images. As far as I can tell it's a problem at their end, I can't control what's in that box.

Yeah, not really sure what the issue is. Only seems to effect certain giphy images. As far as I can tell it's a problem at their end, I can't control what's in that box.
It would be interesting to know if some users can see it as on some of the posts in question (which are totally blank to me) have "likes" "funnies" etc ratings. So I assume some users can see it ?

One thing you do not want as a bloke when you are older is mumps :(. I had them a few years ago and I was carrying my bollocks in a wheelbarrow just so I could get around. They were like beachballs :dier:

Last edited:
Giphy has always been a "temperamental" service in my experience. embedding pictures from them is almost always a nightmare.

Admin Admin

I've also noticed this while trying to post a gif from Giphy itself.

I had my tonsils out as an adult. It’s miserable. Took 3 weeks to fully recover.

Back
Top Bottom